I'm new here

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
DoctorCruz
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

I'm new here

Post by DoctorCruz »

As the title suggests I'm new to Factorio and I just have one question does anyone know what will happen if Factorio gets on Steam? By that I mean will the alpha backers get a key to activate the game in steam?

DerivePi
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: I'm new here

Post by DerivePi »

http://www.factorio.com/faq

Steam - 2015
We can choose to own directly or go through steam

DoctorCruz
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by DoctorCruz »

So does that mean we have to choose one or the other?

Marconos
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Marconos »

DoctorCruz wrote:So does that mean we have to choose one or the other?
Do yourself a favor and just stay away from steam. Then can sell to others there but that doesn't mean it is something you need. I know I really don't want someone tracking what I do in a game, how long I play it etc. etc.

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

We haven't really thought about this too much, but I guess so. Otherwise every user could basically have "two copies".

DoctorCruz
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by DoctorCruz »

Marconos wrote:
Do yourself a favor and just stay away from steam. Then can sell to others there but that doesn't mean it is something you need. I know I really don't want someone tracking what I do in a game, how long I play it etc. etc.

At the risk of sounding argumentative, I have to say that I love steam. About 85% of my games are on steam and I find it to be a very convenient platform for my personal use. I just wondered if it was ever going to be possible to have Factorio, which I absolutely adore even only having played for around ~7 hours, linked to my steam account.

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

You can do that already by adding it as a non-steam game.

Ilnor
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Ilnor »

Marconos wrote:
AND JUST STAY AWAY FROM STEAM !?

This is such a bad comment
I have discovered 166 games i like and played 4352.9 hours on steam

"Tracking what i do in a game" They aren't the CIA.. technically ANYTHING you do on your computer is tracked. The paranoia inside you astonishes me

Nothing about "Staying away from steam" is doing anyone a favor.
Steam is so good other companies have been trying to rip it off for years

Ubisoft
EA
Microsoft
...Whoever owns desura
Hi-rez studios
blizzard

And you're trying to tell me steam is bad ?
please elaborate
http://www.twitch.tv/ilnor
I try to stream often ! Follow the stream to get e-mails when i go live

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by -root »

Marconos wrote:
You may be right about the privacy stuff but the convenience of being able to take your games with you regardless of what happens to your machine (age, breakdowns etc etc) is enough of an incentive for me to use it. I have a bookshelf full of old CD & DVD games. Some of them are single license and can't be used again. Steam isn't for everyone but I do find it very handy for my situation.

my 2cents.

DoctorCruz
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by DoctorCruz »

Ilnor wrote:
Marconos wrote:
AND JUST STAY AWAY FROM STEAM !?

This is such a bad comment
I have discovered 166 games i like and played 4352.9 hours on steam

"Tracking what i do in a game" They aren't the CIA.. technically ANYTHING you do on your computer is tracked. The paranoia inside you astonishes me

Nothing about "Staying away from steam" is doing anyone a favor.
Steam is so good other companies have been trying to rip it off for years

Ubisoft
EA
Microsoft
...Whoever owns desura
Hi-rez studios
blizzard

And you're trying to tell me steam is bad ?
please elaborate
Thank you for agreeing with me.

Rahjital
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Rahjital »

Steam has a lot of questionable policies. They make you waive your right to sue them, they rip off Europeans by setting the course of euros and pounds the same as US dollars, etc. On the other hand, Steam is very convenient and dominant to the point where there are many games sold exclusively through it. There are reasons both for and against using it and the choice is all yours to make. Just please make a new thread in Off topic if you want to continue discussing Steam. ;)

SHiRKiT
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SHiRKiT »

Desura FTW

y.petremann
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by y.petremann »

One thing I don't know is if I bought factorio now, would I have a free steam key when it comes to steam ?

SuperSandro2000
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SuperSandro2000 »

y.petremann wrote:One thing I don't know is if I bought factorio now, would I have a free steam key when it comes to steam ?
You can decide if you want a steam key or keep it like it's now. If you decide you want a steam key you can only run it with steam.

MCDomYT
Inserter
Inserter

Post by MCDomYT »

SuperSandro2000 wrote:
y.petremann wrote:One thing I don't know is if I bought factorio now, would I have a free steam key when it comes to steam ?
You can decide if you want a steam key or keep it like it's now. If you decide you want a steam key you can only run it with steam.
But as you have the game already on your PC if you get a steam key then you will have 2 different copies of factorio. one which is works with steam as in chat + multiplayer, ect and one which doesn't(current version now through the website)
Thanks
MCDomYT
(Dom)

http://www.youtube.com/MCDomYT

SuperSandro2000
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SuperSandro2000 »

MCDomYT wrote:But as you have the game already on your PC if you get a steam key then you will have 2 different copies of factorio. one which is works with steam as in chat + multiplayer, ect and one which doesn't(current version now through the website)
The old key gets invalid. Yeah...Now you can also download more than one factorio.

MCDomYT
Inserter
Inserter

Post by MCDomYT »

I must say that the current system for the game is a tad exploitable. download the installer and i could send it to all of my friends instead of them buying it. Should really look into having to log in and use your account but that may be an issue for if you have limited/no internet(like me at the moment)
Thanks
MCDomYT
(Dom)

http://www.youtube.com/MCDomYT

Nova
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Nova »

Of yourse could you do that, but even logging in would not solve this problem. It's not possible to properly do that, so no sense in even trying.

What? You lose the factorio.com version if you want the game on steam? Since when? Has that changed? o_O
Greetings, Nova.
Factorio is one of the greatest games I ever played, with one of the best developers I ever heard of.

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

Nova wrote:What? You lose the factorio.com version if you want the game on steam? Since when? Has that changed? o_O
We try to be really careful regarding promises when it comes to steam accounts vs. Factorio accounts. This is because we have no experience with deploying a game to steam so we don't know what to expect. All that can be said now is that if Steam allows that (which I assume they do) then we will allow the users to own the game on Steam if they bought it via our website. We cannot tell much about whether it will be "choose either steam or factorio.com" or "you can have both" since we don't have the information to decide this now.

Anyone knows how other (indie) games (in alpha) do this?

johng24
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by johng24 »

I'm pretty sure if you bought "Banished" from Luke's website he also gave you a Steam key.

Return to “General discussion”