warehouse

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Hellatze
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

warehouse

Post by Hellatze »

how to make warehouse that have 1 million iron on it ?

do dev want to implement storehouse ?

joon
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: warehouse

Post by joon »

ftbreizhbugs
Inserter
Inserter

Post by ftbreizhbugs »

Yeah i think warehouse should be part of the core game too...

pieppiep
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by pieppiep »

I don't agree. If you need that big chests for buffers you're doing something wrong imho.

Hellatze
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Hellatze »

ftbreizhbugs wrote:Yeah i think warehouse should be part of the core game too...
yep.

what kind of factory that didn't have warehouse ?

Marza
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Marza »

The Japanese killed the idea of large scale storage with Just In Time logistics. As pieppiep said, if you really need the storage for raw materials, something has probably gone wrong.

If you enjoy mining and refining every ore deposit on the map and are storing things for fun, then one of the more effective storage solutions is to carpet a large area with storage logistic chests, roboports and logistic bots. There's an old thread somewhere on this forum that provided some good examples. If I can find it, I'll link it here. I also recommend caution with the warehouse mod since it can unfortunately slow the game down compared to using vanilla chests. I'm not sure if that issue was addressed.

Edit - This post from 2013 shows warehousing with vanilla logistics chests. It's not the exact post I was thinking of; the one I remember uses the same concept but is scaled up by at least a factor of 20, but you get the idea.

Edit - This is the thread.
Last edited by Marza on Mon May 29, 2017 4:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

Hellatze
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Hellatze »

Marza wrote:The Japanese killed the idea of large scale storage with Just In Time logistics. As pieppiep said, if you really need the storage for raw materials, something has probably gone wrong.

If you enjoy mining and refining every ore deposit on the map and are storing things for fun, then one of the more effective storage solutions is to carpet a large area with storage logistic chests, roboports and logistic bots. There's an old thread somewhere on this forum that provided some good examples. If I can find it, I'll link it here. I also recommend caution with the warehouse mod since it can unfortunately slow the game down compared to using vanilla chests. I'm not sure if that issue was addressed.
i bet you play on peacefull mode.

the storage usefull for :

1. emergency situtation
2. when you want to afk.
3, want to clear the ore asap

Ace_W
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Ace_W »

Storage buffer in my bot based main base is roughly 10k for all plates and various other stuff usually sit in the low hundreds.

So if I want to shore up or expand I'm not waiting forever on a microbuffer.
"No! This one goes there! That one goes There! Right?!"

netmand
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by netmand »

Having warehousing to enhance factory efficiency may be counter-intuitive to some. There's value in producing a buffer of items to smooth out the production flow, enable assessing production levels, and better schedule and predict the demands of your factory. This promotes better power and resource management gives you more room to improve. Warehousing also plays it's part in identifying parts of the factory that have issues to resolve long before your supply runs out. It gives you time to plan expansion and schedule the materials needed.

We kind-of already have the ability to warehouse (without mods), just zone a collection of storage chests into it's own logistical cell and use the logistics display to show what you have. Manage order and fulfillment at the edges/walls of the warehouse zones. That's what I do.

Hellatze
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Hellatze »

i really wish they make factory building for us.

not just chest.

Aeternus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Aeternus »

pieppiep wrote:I don't agree. If you need that big chests for buffers you're doing something wrong imho.
Dunno, they're quite handy for rail station buffers, (2x the smaller 3x3 warehouse can neatly fill a wagon with an easy single splitter to balance loading between them) or for chemical fuel reserves. There are items you may want to retain a large buffer of. And the "Storage Warehouse" (yellow logistics variant) makes for a neat central storage hub for -any- logistics network. You only ever need one of those.
I like the warehouse mod :)

Marza
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Marza »

Hellatze wrote: i bet you play on peacefull mode.

the storage usefull for :

1. emergency situtation
2. when you want to afk.
3, want to clear the ore asap
Just convert the raw material into a ratio of finished products and put that into storage dude. I haven't found the thread concerning mass storage of raw materials yet, but I'll keep an eye out for it, since it sounds like exactly the thing you are after.
Don't start gambling. I only play rail world modified to allow biter nest expansion, because I like both trains and shooting natives.
Edit - Can't find the exact example, but I've found this post which uses the same concept. I'll add the link to my previous post as well.

urza99814
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by urza99814 »

I'd say something like a line of steel chests at a rail station isn't a buffer, it's a cache. A buffer is when you have fifty chests of coal at your power station to give you enough time to react when the station cache empties out. :)

But here we're taking above and beyond that to actual storage. Personally I use logistics storage chests for that only because there's no other way to do it. I wish I could use belts and inserters and save power... that's always where I start, but then I run out of space and switch to logistics systems. But I don't store much, usually just one thing: stone. And stone products like concrete and walls. Two reasons for that... First is that I just like to mine everything under my base and I can never use most of the stone. But the other reason is that stone demand isn't constant like everything else. When I decide to expand my walls, demand for walls goes from 0 to thousands instantly. When I decide to pave a section of my base, I suddenly need several chests full of concrete. If demand is not constant your choices are storage, long waiting periods, or building far more production than you need and just letting it sit idle most of the time. And storage is cheap.

HurkWurk
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by HurkWurk »

use mods! its the way its meant to be played after you get done with the basic game.

mods, factories, etc!

Hellatze
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Hellatze »

i wish that was in vannila

Escadin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Escadin »

Marza wrote:The Japanese killed the idea of large scale storage with Just In Time logistics. As pieppiep said, if you really need the storage for raw materials, something has probably gone wrong.
pieppiep wrote:I don't agree. If you need that big chests for buffers you're doing something wrong imho.
Nothing could be further from the truth.

1) There is no such thing as maintanance costs in this game.
2) You're not running a company that needs to maximize cash flow.

The only "cost" of setting up storage is time. Time you spend mining the necessary (not that many) resources and designing / building that storage. In other words, time you spend playing the game as it was meant to be played and enjoying yourself.

There is absolutely NOTHING wrong about that.

@OP
I don't understand why people say it's impossible without logistics network. This how I do storages and buffers. The book below contains:
1) A 100k storage unit with 2 arithmetic combinators. The "/" combinator outputs how full the storage is in percent. You can hook to it whatever you like, for example, a warning when it's full (overflowing) or when it's empty (running out of coal e.g.).
2) An example of how I use these storages to buffer my main base train station's output.

I use the same setup to store ores, coal, u-238 and stone and I also use them to empty fields asap in order to move them out of the way.

blueprint string
Another thing:
Storing the raw mats rather than the end products has several advantages:
1) No need for sorting.
2) There is only one central storage rather than houndreds of storages for the houndreds of various products all over your base. This also means you don't have to change the design of your entire factory. Adjusting it's input suffices.
3) Raw mats are generic. They supply your demands nomatter what those might be and it's all automatically self-regulated by the factory you already built.
4) Mines and their trains always work at full speed even if nothing is produced.
Last edited by Escadin on Sat May 27, 2017 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"--? How are commands compounded in a compounded compound command commanding compound composts." -defines.lua

chuz
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by chuz »

lategame, a single tile of ressource can be over 100K while a single chest can only store up to around 2.5K raw ressource. it make the inability to properly store the ressource lategame due to a lack of space. So yea chest fail to accomplish their mission.

Escadin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Escadin »

chuz wrote:lategame, a single tile of ressource can be over 100K while a single chest can only store up to around 2.5K raw ressource. it make the inability to properly store the ressource lategame due to a lack of space. So yea chest fail to accomplish their mission.
What a weird thing to say right after a post containing a small 100k storage built from chests...
"--? How are commands compounded in a compounded compound command commanding compound composts." -defines.lua

vanatteveldt
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vanatteveldt »

HurkWurk wrote:use mods! its the way its meant to be played after you get done with the basic game.
What mods do you show in the screenshot? It looks pretty :)

Ace_W
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Ace_W »

I prefer to use trains and waiting bays lategame. That way I can wire up the bays to keep a solid flow of raw materials in. Without having to resort to piles of chests everywhere.

And my usual response to material overflow is I'm not using it FAST enough. Need more smelters, beacons, manufacturing capacity, ect...ect..
"No! This one goes there! That one goes There! Right?!"

Return to “General discussion”