what are you doing when you finished rocket ?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Hellatze
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

what are you doing when you finished rocket ?

Post by Hellatze »

i feel purposeless. no research i cant fulfilled, enemy become weak, no new structure beside mods.

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: what are you doing when you finished rocket ?

Post by MeduSalem »

You are done with the game.

At least for the time being until the Devs decide to implement an endgame that is worth pursuing and gives a sense of purpose and accomplishment.

The only other thing you could do in Vanilla without relying on Mods is if you want to restart with other map settings and try to do something differently like optimizing layouts etc, or make it harder to even get to the end of the regular research tree in the first place.

Infinite Research is just Research for the sake of Research and doesn't really benefit you anyways for various reasons, one of them being that costs scale exponentially, effectively putting an upper limit on how far you can go before it becomes a senseless waste of time.

Another reason being that there is no real point in even doing Infinite Research in the first place other than for the sake of how far you can go before it becomes a waste of time, like most "pushing the limits"-concepts of an endgame are in other games (like for example Diablo 3 with Greater Rifts where you eventually hit a progression wall that could only be overcome if you quit your real job and become a sponsored/paid South Korean pro-gamer).

At the point you are able to send rockets to space you are already so overpowered that nothing on the map can stop you from expanding, which basically renders infinite research superfluous... basically like killing ants with a Hydrogen bomb would be... You progress further... but the enemies don't... but even if they did you will eventually hit the progression wall where the efforts it would take outweigh the gains it could possibly have.

Infinite Research has its point in various game genres, like for example classic 4x space strategy games. If the generated galaxy and amount of enemy factions is high enough you will eventually have researched everything, build everything on every planet... but you still didn't win against the remaining factions when you hit the end of the regular research tree. There infinite research has the point as a means of bringing the game to a definitive end by making a faction so overpowered it will eventually win. At least that's the reason why Galactic Civilizations, Endless Space, etc have such a feature. In Factorio on the other hand you already know you won when you made it through the research tree.
Last edited by MeduSalem on Thu May 25, 2017 4:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.

SQLek
Inserter
Inserter

Post by SQLek »

Do one rocket per 15 minutes?

Do one rocket per minute?

Do few rockets per minute?

Do all above and stay with TPS above 40?

Do all achievements?

Do a rocket on ultra-poor resources? ... do a rocket within 15h on rail world preset? ... or with marathon?

Master cirquit networks?

Invent most compact 7 to 13 balancer?

Implement snake in factorio?

Or install some mods? Maybe full Bob's+Angels's? Maybe do all achievements with them?

Hellatze
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Hellatze »

SQLek wrote:Do one rocket per 15 minutes?

Do one rocket per minute?

Do few rockets per minute?

Do all above and stay with TPS above 40?

Do all achievements?

Do a rocket on ultra-poor resources? ... do a rocket within 15h on rail world preset? ... or with marathon?

Master cirquit networks?

Invent most compact 7 to 13 balancer?

Implement snake in factorio?

Or install some mods? Maybe full Bob's+Angels's? Maybe do all achievements with them?
boring.

also i have mods.

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

There is another point to it I almost forgot, which is... Creativity.

Like city building simulation games... they don't really have a winning condition either... you probably won when you filled the map to the borders and there's no more growth in population. Still some people continue to play for the sake of creativity. like painting a canvas. It's their way to bring out the Bob Ross in them.

But that said it's also a reason why personally I dislike nowadays trend of open world/sandbox-style of games without definitive end because eventually one exhausted every possible thing one might want to try out (even if people keep telling you to come up with your own goals/endgame). At some point one wishes the game would challenge you again, but it just doesn't, because the game itself doesn't care about throwing additional obstacles in your way to keep you busy.

Replaying doesn't make much sense either after a handfull of replays, especially not if the starting parameters don't really seem to affect the final outcome... which is in Factorio the case because eventually your base will be almost identical on every difficulty setting or map setting due to the way your decisions don't affect the outcome and you still have to follow the overall same set of rules from map to map (same research tree, same recipes, same enemies, no random events, no random goals/quests/side quests, etc).

That is where a while ago I came to the conclusion that most open world/sandbox-style of games actually fail to address the fundamental reason why they exist... to fight the boring linear structure of other games.

Saying that, Factorio is an awesome game the way it is because it offers a lot of possibilities to be creative before you exhaust all possibilities (several hundred hours of fun guaranteed, which is much more than most other games deliver), but as in terms of diverging from linearity (the things you need to do in order to win the game or to keep the game going infinitely) it currently doesn't have much to offer. As far as I know the devs are aware of the problem and that's why there will probably be an addon/dlc addressing it somewhen after 0.16/1.0.

I think the only thing you really can do at this point is mods to spice things up, especially the ones which make things more random from game to game or even within the same game.

Ackos
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Ackos »

Planning my next game.

AcolyteOfRocket
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by AcolyteOfRocket »

After I launched a rocket I launched 43 more.

Now I have put rocket launches on hold while I figure out if it is possible to launch one rocket per minute and eat all the resulting science.

For me the game has only just begun ..... :D

mophydeen
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by mophydeen »

AcolyteOfRocket wrote:After I launched a rocket I launched 43 more.

Now I have put rocket launches on hold while I figure out if it is possible to launch one rocket per minute and eat all the resulting science.

In my blueprintbook there is a blueprint called 'rocket module'. It launches a rocket every +-3 min. Using beacons and productivity 3 modules

From trainstation to rocket and trainloading space science. You have 1 copper train > 4 blue belts and 2 iron trains > 8 iron belts and oil train, coal train.

so 1 rocket / minutes takes at least 12 bb for copper and 24 bb for iron. Not impossible. Just a lot of work :)

ps: sl-extended has an example map which shows sl-extended and also the blueprint book

gl

BenSeidel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BenSeidel »

Play with friends.

AcolyteOfRocket
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by AcolyteOfRocket »

mophydeen wrote:

In my blueprintbook there is a blueprint called 'rocket module'. It launches a rocket every +-3 min. Using beacons and productivity 3 modules

From trainstation to rocket and trainloading space science. You have 1 copper train > 4 blue belts and 2 iron trains > 8 iron belts and oil train, coal train.

so 1 rocket / minutes takes at least 12 bb for copper and 24 bb for iron. Not impossible. Just a lot of work :)

ps: sl-extended has an example map which shows sl-extended and also the blueprint book

gl
Which recipes does it use - normal or expensive - I'm using expensive..

Also, what is sl-extended ?

Also - work ? I'm at 160 hours on this map, although I did make a couple of mistakes earlier in the map, my guess is that cost me no more than 50 hours. Like I said, it has just begun :D

Hellatze
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Hellatze »

i think we need ore late game items.

Daid
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Daid »

Hellatze wrote: boring.

also i have mods.
Switch games. Most people are not entertained with the same game forever. You launched the rocket. Good. Take a break if factorio is no longer entertaining you. (Kerbal space program might entertain you instead. Which also has the same "end game" problem. I've done everything, unlocked everything, gone everywhere. What now? But after breaks I still come back to it)

mophydeen
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by mophydeen »

AcolyteOfRocket wrote:
mophydeen wrote:

gl
Which recipes does it use - normal or expensive - I'm using expensive..

Also, what is sl-extended ?

Also - work ? I'm at 160 hours on this map, although I did make a couple of mistakes earlier in the map, my guess is that cost me no more than 50 hours. Like I said, it has just begun :D
- normal recipes.
- sl-extended is an autodownload(in savefile: acts like vanilla in multiplayer) mod which adds no new entities but a lot of functionality. See my signature.
- my example map has currently 69.5 hours. It was started in multiplayer.

Return to “General discussion”