Fluid wagon vs Cargo wagon comparison: Transporting fluids

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Fluid wagon vs Cargo wagon comparison: Transporting fluids

Post by mrvn »

I've tried that in sandbox with nuclear reactors. But I used logistic bots there with barrels. One assembler 3 with speed modules is enough to provide water for a full row of heat exchangers. You indeed need a lot of water for a multiple GW reactor setup.

NightCabbage
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by NightCabbage »

Wouldn't offshore water pumps be the fastest way to get lots of water?

Or are you in location where there is no water around?

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

NightCabbage wrote:Wouldn't offshore water pumps be the fastest way to get lots of water?

Or are you in location where there is no water around?
You need quite a few offshore pumps and then somehow get the water to the reactor. And at a certain length the pipe will reduce water flow below needed throughput. By putting the water in barrels or fluid wagons you can transport it at a constant throughput for any distance.

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

Alternatively, "why did you set up your reactor somewhere it can't work?" Unless your water patches are all tiny things and you need a train to run around and collect the water from all of them? Normally you would just build your reactors next to a lake.
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

Kametec
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Kametec »

Actually, it was right next to a coast, but as I said earlier:
Kametec wrote:I like busy railroads

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Because when you build a nuclear reactor you want to put heat exchangers on at least 2 sides. And the oder is: turbine - heat exchanger - reactor - head exchanger - turbine

It's best to put the heat exchangers as close to the reactor as possible. So my take is to insert the water on the outside of the heat exchangers. Hard to find a straight coast long enough for that or you have to find 2 lakes with about the right distance to put the reactor in the middle.

Kametec
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Kametec »

If the coast is not straight enough, it can be straightened using landfill.

beaver
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by beaver »

good evening
Can you explain why the carriage for fluid transport does not fill up? I placed the pump in different positions but nothing. I forgot something? thank you
Attachments
Screenshot_1.jpg
Screenshot_1.jpg (175.53 KiB) Viewed 5622 times

Kametec
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Kametec »

If you look closely at the wagon, you'll see that it is slightly misaligned because of the curved rail. You need to add one more straight rail segment to the station.

beaver
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by beaver »

thank you kametec. work now

theorderofthings
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by theorderofthings »

Don't forget that barrels are also nicer in the logistic network. Although a fluid handling bot would be pretty cool, it doesn't exist. As far as loading and unloading, barrelling first doesn't add much complexity and you can use bots for higher throughput.

Furthermore, when you are using fluids, it's much easier to handle barrels than pipes and fluids. With barrels you can always use splitters, belt tricks, and bots - you can get incredibly fine control of exactly where you fluids ago and in which ratios they move in. If you just pipe fluids, it becomes a lot harder to control - you can use tanks and circuit controls but its a lot more complicated and a lot less fun than belt tricks and bots. Honestly, the opaqueness of fluid control vs the clarity and transparency of belts is probably why so many people (myself included) hate fluid handling.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

I think that only applies when you have logistic bots and use requester chests. Dealing with empty barrels is kind of a pain. I've tried and run into the problem that either you run out of empty barrels and all the full barrels are on the wrong belt or the empty barrels would back up on some branch preventing the assembler from emptying any more. In both cases you run out of liquid somewhere.

Greybeard_LXI
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Greybeard_LXI »

In my last game I took barrels of oil to the refinery and then barrels of sulfuric acid to the blue chip outpost. The refinery was bot based and wound up sending all the barrels to blue chips.

I did have empty return set up, but I made so much more acid than I used that it backed up. Things stabilized when I capped the number of full acid barrels.

I probably should have used belts for barrel return, not bots. I think the current game will use fluid wagons for crude and barrels for acid. (Lube will be in starter refinery feeding shopping mall.)

Syrchalis
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Syrchalis »

Can't you just make a row of pumps on the middle of the wagon to have all tanks on one side? In other words - use pumps as pipes.

Like this:
___________Tank <- Pump <- Wagon
Tank <- Pump/Pump/Pump <- Wagon
Screenshot

Aeternus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Aeternus »

That should work, but it makes the station even wider spacewise, and just adds 2 more pumps.

deer_buster
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by deer_buster »

Personally, I would set the stack size of the barrels down to 5 (and I have modded it such for personal use). Then the tank wagon would be worth it, but the stock wagon could be still useful.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Syrchalis wrote:Can't you just make a row of pumps on the middle of the wagon to have all tanks on one side? In other words - use pumps as pipes.

Like this:
Tank <- Pump/Pump/Pump <- Wagon
Screenshot
Or just pipes. I don't think it makes that much of a difference when you pump through 4 pipes to a tank.
Or connect the 3 pumps to vertical pipes and then 2x2 tanks, two of which are connected to the pipes.

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

mrvn wrote: Or just pipes. I don't think it makes that much of a difference when you pump through 4 pipes to a tank.
Or connect the 3 pumps to vertical pipes and then 2x2 tanks, two of which are connected to the pipes.
It does make a huge difference.
Pumps in 0.15 have 3 or 4 times throughput of a single pipe.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Optera wrote:
mrvn wrote: Or just pipes. I don't think it makes that much of a difference when you pump through 4 pipes to a tank.
It does make a huge difference.
Pumps in 0.15 have 3 or 4 times throughput of a single pipe.
Is it actually 3 or 4 times? I had pumps connected to pipes connected to 3 tanks instead of pump, tank, pipe and I don't remember unloading taking 3 or 4 times as long.

Anyway, here you are unloading a fluid wagon. The pipe speed is not the only factor involved. So in reality you use 4 seconds to empty the wagon and 10 seconds to wait for the train leaving and arriving. Add a little pipe in there or 2x2 tanks and now you need 5 or 6 seconds to empty the wagon. 14 seconds per train or 16 seconds per train. Will anyone notice? Aren't you only sending a new fluid train every minute because you don't consume more?

Also don't forget that you have to get the fluid out of the tanks again. I guess the most efficient way is to pipe the fluid into a tank and then pump it out again with 3 pumps into 3 pipes. Repeat splitting through tank as needed.

Avezo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Avezo »

Seems pipes become highest thing to be optimised now, second to belts only.

Return to “General discussion”