Underground belt lane splitting, anyone else hate it?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
sarcolopter
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Underground belt lane splitting, anyone else hate it?

Post by sarcolopter »

never had a need for this in all the rockets i've launched, i don't get why people do it tbh

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by 5thHorseman »

sarcolopter wrote:never had a need for this in all the rockets i've launched, i don't get why people do it tbh
There are a surprising number of things I've never needed to use in the game, but I don't think the people who do use them are playing incorrectly.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Who says you need to use a splitter at all? You can simply sideload a belt onto an underground belt to split off one lane. You only need the splitter when you want to have both lanes.

Frightning
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Frightning »

Koub wrote:And the subsidiary question is : why would you need a lane splitter, when you have means to do it with filter inserters ?
This is what I do, and with Stack filter inserters, the throughput can be pretty good.

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

Frightning wrote:
Koub wrote:And the subsidiary question is : why would you need a lane splitter, when you have means to do it with filter inserters ?
This is what I do, and with Stack filter inserters, the throughput can be pretty good.
Splitting lanes is more energy, resource and space efficient than (stack) filter inserters

sarcolopter
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by sarcolopter »

5thHorseman wrote:
sarcolopter wrote:never had a need for this in all the rockets i've launched, i don't get why people do it tbh
There are a surprising number of things I've never needed to use in the game, but I don't think the people who do use them are playing incorrectly.
Quote where I said I think they are playing incorrectly.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

sarcolopter wrote:
5thHorseman wrote:
sarcolopter wrote:i don't get why people do it
sarcolopter wrote:Underground belt lane splitting... hate it
It's somewhat of an implied meaning, but it's there.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by 5thHorseman »

sarcolopter wrote:
5thHorseman wrote:
I apologize. "I don't get why you'd do that" is synonymous in my mind with "You're not doing it correctly." Are you asking for reasons instead?

sarcolopter
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by sarcolopter »

Jap2.0 wrote:
I never said "hate it", don't fake-quote me.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

sarcolopter wrote:
Jap2.0 wrote:
I never said "hate it", don't fake-quote me.
Sorry, I saw you wrote the first comment and I thought you made the post. I missed the first three pages. Chill. I made a mistake. It happens sometimes :oops: .

SirLANsalot
Inserter
Inserter

Post by SirLANsalot »

I actually agree with the OP on this. Using an underground belt to split mixed belts does feel a bit gimmicky. Also agree on the solution having Splitters have an option for doing just that, having a switch on them for either normal operations (aka like how they work now) or split operations, meaning they only take from one side of the belt. Split operations would have a left/right option in them, this split option would allow one side full bypass of the other lane, and split only the lane selected.

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by impetus maximus »

FasterJump wrote:According to the devs, it's not a gameplay bug. But why don't they fix the graphic then? Is it intended to make it a hidden feature (glitch / easter egg), or do they plan to fix it someday?
It's hard to believe that it's an intended behavior. To me, it looks more like a fun glitch they decided to not fix.
Some people prefer to play games without using exploits/glitchs because if they do, they feel like cheating.
not only are they aware, they use it in the trailer to pull iron from an iron/gears belt.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

The devs are aware of the "trick" and they have already stated it's not a bug, it's a feature not everybody likes, like ... belt braiding or turret creep, or solar.

We may like it, or dislike it, or like it and dislike the looks of the underground belt, and express our love or hate. But even that is pointless, about every single argument pro and con has already been written dozens of times, so it's only always the same arguments again and again and again :).
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

SirLANsalot wrote:I actually agree with the OP on this. Using an underground belt to split mixed belts does feel a bit gimmicky. Also agree on the solution having Splitters have an option for doing just that, having a switch on them for either normal operations (aka like how they work now) or split operations, meaning they only take from one side of the belt. Split operations would have a left/right option in them, this split option would allow one side full bypass of the other lane, and split only the lane selected.
I don't think current splitters should do that. Instead there should be a special lane splitter belt. A simple T piece where one belt enters and each side of the belt goes out in a different direction. There is no mechanical arms like in the current splitter required to split the sides.

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by 5thHorseman »

mrvn wrote:I don't think current splitters should do that. Instead there should be a special lane splitter belt. A simple T piece where one belt enters and each side of the belt goes out in a different direction. There is no mechanical arms like in the current splitter required to split the sides.
I agree. I looked in to modding it but I could never figure out ... well anything really. But I couldn't even figure out how to mod a basic belt into the game, little alone one that does something different than the current ones.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

5thHorseman wrote:
mrvn wrote:I don't think current splitters should do that. Instead there should be a special lane splitter belt. A simple T piece where one belt enters and each side of the belt goes out in a different direction. There is no mechanical arms like in the current splitter required to split the sides.
I agree. I looked in to modding it but I could never figure out ... well anything really. But I couldn't even figure out how to mod a basic belt into the game, little alone one that does something different than the current ones.
You can't. Belts are built in and you can't change their behaviour in the mod. The modded "splitters" that do exist work with lua scripts that check the contents of the belt before the splitter and then transporting them to the belt after the splitter by lua magic. It's a hack and eats a lot of UPS.

HurkWurk
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by HurkWurk »

mrvn wrote:
5thHorseman wrote:
You can't. Belts are built in and you can't change their behaviour in the mod. The modded "splitters" that do exist work with lua scripts that check the contents of the belt before the splitter and then transporting them to the belt after the splitter by lua magic. It's a hack and eats a lot of UPS.
but they do exist. which is fine.

Oktokolo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Oktokolo »

In my opinion, the belts should ideally be half the current size and consist of only one lane. But that would probably make GUI too fiddly and drop performance because we would need almost four times the amount of belts.

The devs gave us a nice compromise with their not-too-tiny belts featuring two lanes and the easy-to-use splitters and underneathies. They managed to resist the temptation of goinf 3D on this or adding more complexity.

The lane splitting is okay. What we really need are railway bridges and tunnels!

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

Oktokolo wrote:...
What we really need are railway bridges and tunnels!
Been suggested many, many times before.

Oktokolo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Oktokolo »

Jap2.0 wrote:
Oktokolo wrote:...
What we really need are railway bridges and tunnels!
Been suggested many, many times before.
I know :D

Return to “General discussion”