Train tutorials aren't teaching signal use

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Train tutorials aren't teaching signal use

Post by mrvn »

I liked the new tutorials in 0.15 that pop up mid game. The track building is educational and fine. But then I checked the signal tutorials and was rather disappointed. They are more like a quiz checking if you understand signals already instead of explaining how they work or teaching how to use signals.

I also missed a few things that I think are important:

* Trains going both ways and end stations vs. pass through stations and two way pass through stations
* Waiting bays for stations so multi-train train stations don't block the main track
* Signal use for two way tracks and bays to let trains pass
* Signal use to prioritize trains, e.g. allow a train to always leave a station over the next train trying to enter

What do you think?

R3vo
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Train tutorials aren't teaching signal use

Post by R3vo »

That was exactly my thought, too. It felt like a riddle instead of a tutorial.

The main issue I believe is, that it becomes too complex too quickly. The tutorial should teach the basics on how signals works, not how to put signals on large intersections which beginners don't build anyway.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Train tutorials aren't teaching signal use

Post by mrvn »

Exactly. Explain the simple uses for a single train station or a simply single lane cross over (X). Explain how the chain signal on the entry to the X prevents trains from getting stuck on the X.

Return to “General discussion”