The only mod I need now is...

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
omnipact
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

The only mod I need now is...

Post by omnipact »

...one to automatically refuel trains.

Having being used to playing a heavily modded factorio I decided that my first playthrough of .15 be unmodded, with all that new science and nuclear and stuff.

To build my ideal factory, I like trains, all of them. I had 150+ trains running around and using Smart Trains and needed only four refuelling stations. No other stations on the network refuelled.

Most other mods I used (except content mods) don't seem nearly as 'required' as they used to be. Blueprint management, train management, reach is longer (it is further in .15?), inventory bigger, remote viewing, ore field count, rail planning, larger stack sizes, landfill, fluid wagons...

Can you mirror blueprints in unmodded Factorio yet?

What one mod do you really need? (or sorely miss)

Regards

Omni

nemostein
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: The only mod I need now is...

Post by nemostein »

The only mod worth my bandwidth is Creative Mode...
Of course I miss some features in vanilla, but I'm against mods for 2 reasons: They are (mostly) bugged, magical or OP (breaking balance) and they make hard for people to talk about some aspects of the game without entering the "Mod zone".

The Creative Mode mod is special in a sense that it makes easy to set up multiplayer maps, start a game (scenario) with constraints and ground rules and testing the game (ratios, layouts, energy etc), but I'd never play a game with Creative Mode enabled.

For the rest, I like some mods ideas, but only some of them, and I'd love to see more of them curated by the devs (no more bad bugs/magic/OP) and implemented in the vanilla (no more "mod zone" talking).

Did I make sense? =|
"I'd say the main bottleneck is sleep." - AndrewIRL

purdueme91
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by purdueme91 »

I still need YARM because want to know when the field is running out or if it is producing zero.

Upgrade planner/builder because just select to upgrade anything. Love the trick to upgrade wood to deconstruct planner. Boom erase trees...

And FARL....

Can live without all the rest in vanilla. Bob's mods is totally different animal and needs mods to help keep the insanity straight. Can't wait to see his full suite of updates.

Mattyrogue
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Mattyrogue »

omnipact wrote:...one to automatically refuel trains.
To be honest, this is more a 'user problem' that can be fixed with simple changes in a station design; for example, setting up a chest with inserter at the front (and rear, if you use it) engine at it's main unload station and fill said chest with some Coal. Switch to Requester Chests later to automate it and add it to all your station blueprints for further redundancy.

Edit:
Took me a moment to realise the discussion of this thread, more one for 'that must have mod in your playthroughs'.

Well, Vanilla-wise, something that I think would really work well implemented into the base game itself and wouldn't be game-changing; Earendel's Bullet Trails.
It's amazing how much more gratifying combat feels when you have actual bullet tracers on your turrets and weapons, and gives an actual feeling of 'presence' to the sheer amount of ammunition you consume.

If we're going by mods though, gods, I used to think it was all about GotLag's Nuclear until it practically -became- Vanilla, but now I'm all over AAI's Programmable Vehicles. If only for the nostalgia I get from the Miners, like I'm playing C&C all over again.
Last edited by Mattyrogue on Sat May 06, 2017 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Killcreek2
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Killcreek2 »

Only mod I consider mandatory is Personal Equipment hotkeys.

No more removing roboports from armour / swapping to robo-free suit to plan stuff out with ghosts. One button press!
No more overshooting when working near express belts ~ toggle the exo legs off temporarily. One button press!

Why this simple QoL feature is not already in the vanilla game puzzles me somewhat. ;)
"Functional simplicity, structural complexity." ~ Appleseed

nemostein
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by nemostein »

Mattyrogue wrote:To be honest, this is more a 'user problem' that can be fixed with simple changes in a station design; for example, setting up a chest with inserter at the front (and rear, if you use it) engine at it's main unload station and fill said chest with some Coal. Switch to Requester Chests later to automate it and add it to all your station blueprints for further redundancy.
Sorry, I don't follow... Is this in the right thread?
"I'd say the main bottleneck is sleep." - AndrewIRL

iceman_1212
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by iceman_1212 »

Base

AxeSlash
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by AxeSlash »

+1 for upgrade planner. Just for doing yellow -> red or red -> blue belts. I have very few mods, but this is the only one that I would sorely miss.

Engimage
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Engimage »

Upgrade planner ftw. This is number one for sure.
Other ones that I would prefer being integrated into base game:
  • Long Reach Research
  • Bottleneck
  • Laser Beam Turrets

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

Upgrade planner yeeeeeesss

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts