Overriding inserter stack size via circuit network

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
alexzzzz
Inserter
Inserter

Overriding inserter stack size via circuit network

Post by alexzzzz »

What are the use cases for overriding inserter stack size via circuit network?

The potential use case is to be able to move the exact number of items from a chest/wagon to a chest/wagon regardless of the current stack size bonus. But it didn't work out as expected. Here I'm trying to move 41 lights from the left chest to the right chest:
0.jpg
0.jpg (119.96 KiB) Viewed 6178 times
The target chest always gets some random number of lights that is greater than 41. As far as I understand, the reason is that the inserter updates its stack size too late, after it already has grabbed the items.

So, the questions are:
1. Is it possible to solve this problem somehow (except manually setting the stack size to always be 1)?
2. What are the problems that automatic stack size override can actually solve? What is it useful for?

Linosaurus
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Overriding inserter stack size via circuit network

Post by Linosaurus »

This looks like a bug, might want to repost in the bug forum.

Shorter version.

A stack inserter configured with (Enable on A>0, set stack size with control signal=A).
It receives A=2: it moves 2 items at the time.
Change to A=0: it stops.
Change to A=3: it moves 2 items, then 3 at the time.

Expected value: 3 each time. Seems like it should checks stack size at the same time as it checks the enabled condition.

Speculation: stack size is only updated when it has just dropped off an item, or it is idle with nothing to pick up.

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Tekky »

Linosaurus wrote:This looks like a bug, might want to repost in the bug forum.
According to this post by a factorio developer, it is not a bug, but works as intended, for performance reasons. However, I hope that they find a way to fix this issue without sacrificing too much performance.

alexzzzz
Inserter
Inserter

Post by alexzzzz »

Tekky wrote:
Linosaurus wrote:This looks like a bug, might want to repost in the bug forum.
According to this post by a factorio developer, it is not a bug, but works as intended, for performance reasons.
Yeah, I saw it, and it made me wondering what is the purpose of this feature then?

Linosaurus
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Linosaurus »

Ah I see it was known already.

I can't think of anything much I want to use it for right now, but I'm sure someone will use it for something insane sooner or later.

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Tekky »

Meanwhile, in the thread I have linked to in my previous post, a Factorio dev has stated that this issue now is on his todo list (but bugs have priority). Yay! :-)

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Tekky »

According to the bug thread I have linked to in my previous post, it has now been implemented for the upcoming patch 0.15.8.

Escadin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Escadin »

I use it to keep the Kovarex enrichment process running. A simple wire to a chest and your inserter only takes the excess of 40 U-235 out of your cycle... unless of course stack size is a dick and makes it take 2-3 at once dropping you down to 39 or 38.
This is where overriding stack size comes into play. Pretty straight forward use actually.

I also think it is mandaroty to combine with every counter circuit you use. Again, for example in the korvarex enrichment process if you want to count the exact amount of U-235 moved to trim down the hoarding of your centrifuge.
"--? How are commands compounded in a compounded compound command commanding compound composts." -defines.lua

Return to “General discussion”