disable biter expansion question

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
BLuehasia
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

disable biter expansion question

Post by BLuehasia »

Hi so im playing rail world and notice it disabled biter expansion, i have a lot of radar set up and around where i started was biter free, but now 6 hours into the game they have expanded massively around me and are creeping closer and closer.

so im a bit confused what it means by disabling expansion because they are definitely still expanding

my frist game mode of rail world i did i did have it enabled but changed it min 1 hour, max 2 hours. with both enabled and disabled in my new start, they seem to expand at same rate

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: disable biter expansion question

Post by Klonan »

Can you provide your save game?

BLuehasia
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by BLuehasia »

here it is, also note i do have mods on but i had this issue before i added some mods also
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xfs3lrbd4exqj ... 4.zip?dl=0
Attachments
Screenshot_1560.jpg
Screenshot_1560.jpg (37.72 KiB) Viewed 7670 times

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

BLuehasia wrote:Hi so im playing rail world and notice it disabled biter expansion, i have a lot of radar set up and around where i started was biter free, but now 6 hours into the game they have expanded massively around me and are creeping closer and closer.

so im a bit confused what it means by disabling expansion because they are definitely still expanding

my frist game mode of rail world i did i did have it enabled but changed it min 1 hour, max 2 hours. with both enabled and disabled in my new start, they seem to expand at same rate
I checked your map, and enemy expansion is definitely not enabled,

But i think i understand what you mean, the "Enemy expansion" isn't about how the bases grow over distance, but where they colonise new bases over time

I ran your map in game for about 2 hours and didn't see any new bases pop up,
So you can be sure that if you kill a biter base, it won't respawn

BLuehasia
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by BLuehasia »

Thank you for checking!

alright, im a bit confused still my interpretation on that was the farther i go out there be bigger and harder bitter bases, so the starting region around me would be bug-free almost.

so are they allowed to colonize new locations with expansion turned off?

atm it seems like they are sending out bitters to spawn new bases around me?

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

BLuehasia wrote:Thank you for checking!

alright, im a bit confused still my interpretation on that was the farther i go out there be bigger and harder bitter bases, so the starting region around me would be bug-free almost.

so are they allowed to colonize new locations with expansion turned off?

atm it seems like they are sending out bitters to spawn new bases around me?
They aren't sending biters to expand, but because your magnificent pollution crowd has attracted them

So yea, with expansion off, they won't colonize, but they will still attack you

BLuehasia
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by BLuehasia »

so if i think i understand this,

as long as no pollution, they don't expand under the no expand rule, but pollution overrides it and makes them grow?

Kelderek
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kelderek »

Don't confuse expansion with evolution. With expansion off you will no longer get biters creating new nests in new areas. But they will still evolve based on time, pollution, and how many of them you kill. Evolution will make them stronger and bigger.

I'm not entirely sure, but I think evolution can add more nests to the same cluster/base, so if a base had only 2 nests it may grow to 5 or 6, but that would be due to evolution, not expansion. Expansion involves biters moving to a new map location a few chunks away and starting a fresh base from nothing -- this is the part you shouldn't see any more with your setting.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

BLuehasia wrote:so if i think i understand this,

as long as no pollution, they don't expand under the no expand rule, but pollution overrides it and makes them grow?
They won't expand, ie won't make new spawners, but they will still send biters to attack you

BLuehasia
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by BLuehasia »

Kelderek wrote:Don't confuse expansion with evolution. With expansion off you will no longer get biters creating new nests in new areas. But they will still evolve based on time, pollution, and how many of them you kill. Evolution will make them stronger and bigger.

I'm not entirely sure, but I think evolution can add more nests to the same cluster/base, so if a base had only 2 nests it may grow to 5 or 6, but that would be due to evolution, not expansion. The expansion involves biters moving to a new map location a few chunks away and starting a fresh base from nothing -- this is the part you shouldn't see anymore with your setting.
my confusion i am having then is radar been running since start of my map and it revealed all the area around me bug-free, 6 hours into the game, see attached image above. I am surrounded by clusters of nest/spawner bases

Lav
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Lav »

Can you post your map exchange string? You can get it from the load game screen.

BLuehasia
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by BLuehasia »

ok after many more hours on the map i have now deemed that they are indeed no longer expanding at all they are sticking to the bases now.

so the weird thing.

in the first hour, radar showed no spawner nest,

6 hours later maybe 2 dozen new spawner bases have formed

6 hours - 20 hours (current) no new expansion has happened and they stick to their bases

Kelderek
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kelderek »

Is it possible that the area you think was revealed by radar was actually exposed by you running around? If the area you uncovered on your own was larger than the radar area, then it is conceivable that it would appear to be the same area with new biters when in fact it might have been a larger newly discovered territory instead.

That's the only explanation I can think of that doesn't involve some sort of wonky bug.

Daid
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Daid »

Klonan wrote:They won't expand, ie won't make new spawners, but they will still send biters to attack you
They won't make new bases at new spots, but do they enlarge their current bases? I'm also playing with expansion off, but I have the odd feeling that they did grow/expand a bit. But not as much as they did in 0.14. I do not have any proof however.

Return to “General discussion”