0.15 Testing Effective Military Science Ratios

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
osric_athanasius
Inserter
Inserter

0.15 Testing Effective Military Science Ratios

Post by osric_athanasius »

Greetings,

So I have been playing around in Creative Mode looking at Military Science Ratios. I preset my initial conclusions for 0.15.1.

Assuming a equivalent output to the 5 red science and 6 green science. We need 5 factories outputting military science.

I have settled on the following ratios of to support these 5 factories:
5 Gun Turret factories with 4 Gear factories supporting them.
2 Piecing Ammo Factories with 1 Normal Ammo factory supporting it.
5 Grenade factories.

Unfortunately, 4 Gun Turret factories and 3 Gear factories combined need exactly a fully compressed yellow belt of Iron plate to run. While 4 gun turret factories are pretty close to keeping the military science running at full blast. It does fall just short. This presets some problems for future designs. Unless someone comes up with a more effective design compromises will be necessary. Personally, given that military science is not always needed. I would reduce the number of gun turret factories to 4. This means you will be able to reduce the Gear factories and Grenade factories by 1 also, with only a slight slow down.

Finally, while I do not have a proper count, to supply a military science module will require between 1 to 2 full yellow belts of iron plus steel, coal and copper.

Hopefully, someone can develop a better design and system.

Picture included of the simple layout used for testing. Next goal, a more compressed layout.
Simple Military Science Layout
Simple Military Science Layout
427520_20170426233842_1 (2).png (4.2 MiB) Viewed 11660 times

Pirion
Inserter
Inserter

Re: 0.15 Testing Effective Military Science Ratios

Post by Pirion »

In this new update, I think local gears is not an option. If you replace half iron with gears, that should feed the turrets fine; as it compresses to another half belt of iron.

osric_athanasius
Inserter
Inserter

Post by osric_athanasius »

Just done some quick testing in which I converted the iron belt for the turrets to a yellow half iron/half gears fully compression. The yellow belt simply does not have the throughput needed for 5 turret factories. Sure, a red would work. There is simple not enough iron getting through to supply the last two factories at full efficiency (the last barely get any iron). There is enough gears getting through.

I can see your logic but the results suggest otherwise.

I will add that the localized setup of gear production in the original post keeps up pretty comfortably if it has the supplies of iron.

PawnBoy
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by PawnBoy »

I can't recall if I got the ratios right or not, but it looks similar to what you have, and I tried to keep it fairly compact. The use of two belts on the right of the turrets where one would do bugs me still though.

Tim2162286
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Tim2162286 »

[Edit]
This is my setup I'm testing, supplies 90 military packs per minute takes in a red belt of iron, and a yellow belt each of gear, copper, coal, and steel. Exact demand is:
  • Iron Plates: 1.3k
  • Copper Plates: 675
  • Coal: 450
  • Gears: 450
  • Steel: 45
Size is 35 tiles wide by 29 tiles tall.
Blueprint String
Military Science.PNG
Military Science.PNG (2.3 MiB) Viewed 9349 times
Last edited by Tim2162286 on Wed May 10, 2017 6:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

neoc
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by neoc »

Eh, do you even read tooltips? You can easily calculate the ratios from there. For the magazines I recall that piercing round magazines need 3 seconds and 1 normal magazine per piece, so the ratio is 3:1, not 2:2.

Return to “General discussion”