0.15 boiler ratio?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: 0.15 boiler ratio?

Post by MeduSalem »

Tym wrote:you could do perpendicular connection to boilers in 14.22 as well. just noticed it in my new game. (no rush for upgrade to 0.15; still got lots of the normal stuff to learn...)
Yeah, hypothetically you could do that back then... but the problem surely were the Offshore Pumps... you could barely manage to place enough of them along the shore to feed a 2:28:20 setup... which then required you do to everything inline or otherwise the required space becomes an issue. So placing the Steam Engines perpendicular was out of question.

Now with 0.15 I think that it might actually be the pipe throughput which might be the limiting factor instead of the offshore pumps. But it probably takes more testing of people to say that for sure.

garath
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by garath »

Boilers in 0.15 are very different. Let's say you build a line of five of them. You just need an offshore pump on one side, and all five boilers will receive the water. But in many boiler configurations you will need output pipes from ALL five boilers. That will take some getting used to.

Chaia
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Chaia »

5thHorseman wrote:
Daid wrote:On a related thing, the amount of coal used seem to have increased a lot? My burner inserters seem to work full time now.
They use more, but I don't think much more than they did before. It's just that you only need 5 boilers for 10 engines now, when before you needed 14 so they single boiler is chugging down about 3x the coal a single boiler did before.
You still need the same amout of coal to generate a certain amount of energy. Coal still carries 8MJ and boiler efficiency hasn't changed from 50%. While each individual boiler now needs a lot more coal, you need less boilers to get the same energy

Cagbee
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Cagbee »

What im looking for is How many boilers can one pump support? Right now i have like twenty boilers running off of one pump with enough water getting through to maintain 5 Advanced oil processors and some cracking. The cracking is conditionally so i think its okay to discount that.

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

Cagbee wrote:What im looking for is How many boilers can one pump support? Right now i have like twenty boilers running off of one pump with enough water getting through to maintain 5 Advanced oil processors and some cracking. The cracking is conditionally so i think its okay to discount that.
One Offshore Pump can support exactly 20 Boilers and 40 Steam Engines.

Cagbee
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Cagbee »

MeduSalem wrote:
Cagbee wrote:What im looking for is How many boilers can one pump support? Right now i have like twenty boilers running off of one pump with enough water getting through to maintain 5 Advanced oil processors and some cracking. The cracking is conditionally so i think its okay to discount that.
Thanks for the info!

Neemys
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Neemys »

Cagbee wrote:
MeduSalem wrote:
Thanks for the info!
But if you have forty steam engine running at full capacity, your last boiler with not ouput cold water anymore, better run refinery on a separate pump.
Want more space restriction ? Or maybe you want to be forced to use train for other thing than ore and oil ? Try Building Platform Mod !

OdinYggd
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by OdinYggd »

Neemys wrote:
dougtheduck wrote:like before 0.15 everyone was doing solar spam etc... =P
you've seen everyone base ? There are a lot of people that don't use solar. And the new nuclear can't be used efficiently only by itself.

Yes it can, but it takes some circuit tinkering to properly minmax it.

I've got 480MW installed nuclear, but only 50-90MW of factory load. And the way my controller is set up, I am not wasting any nuclear fuel either. All of the energy is being stored as either accu juice, steam in a tank, or heat in the core itself.

The correct ratio for steam power in 0.15 is 1:20:40.

That's 1 offshore pump, 20 boilers, and 40 engines.

Such a configuration has a theoretical output of 36MW. Benchmarking the configuration I used, I show an actual production of 35.3-35.8MW.

I think the slight discrepancy in output is due to fluid rounding in all of the piping sections.
In my mind, Steam is the eternal king of the railway.

Tubig
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Tubig »

Daid wrote:Does anyone else feel the 2:1 ratio is a bit boring? Now you just put 1 pump, a row of boilers, and engines directly connected to it. No room for optimalization.
I don't find it boring.

Finding ratios is not really that hard. 2:1 is no easier than 7:5 or anything else. The same goes for production ratios. Once you know the ratio you just work with it, the specific numbers are all but irrelevant to the challenge.

I find other challenges for optimisation.

For example, I am trying out a 2:8:1 boiler:engine:tank ratio. This allows the boilers to build up steam during the day and discharge at night.

Accumulators hold 5 MJ (1.25 MJ per tile)
Tanks with Boilers hold 750 MJ (125 MJ per tile)
Tanks with Heat Exchangers hold 2,400 MJ (400 MJ per tile)

You can build much higher energy storage capacity using tanks. The down side is of course that your night time power comes from fuel consumption.

The question is what is more "optimal": burning fuel or spending space and resources on solar panels and accumulators. Unlike finding the perfect ratio, that is a question that doesn't have a "right" answer. The optimal solution will depend on the factory and will evolve as the factory changes.

There are plenty of other challenges more interesting than finding the right ratio for something.

userasd
Inserter
Inserter

Post by userasd »

Tubig wrote:There are plenty of other challenges more interesting than finding the right ratio for something.
I agree. Optimizing layout (be it less space or modular/linear ) and find clever ways to use the provided tools (use tanks instead of accumulators) are more interesting.

Messorix
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Messorix »

I found that this setup works perfectly fine.
I still have space below for 9 more sets before the pump cant handle it anymore.

Yes, I'm using the ABPlus pack from Arumba, but that has no influence on the setup, only on the fuel going in.

Return to “General discussion”