item filters in cargo inventories?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
stylistic_sagi
Inserter
Inserter

item filters in cargo inventories?

Post by stylistic_sagi »

so you can set filters an items in trains cars tanks and yourself using the middle mouse button.
but why not cargo containers?

bigyihsuan
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: item filters in cargo inventories?

Post by bigyihsuan »

In the entity definitions, chests and train cars are different types (chest and cargo car). Train cars are able to have filters (and regular cars/tanks too), but not chests. I think there was a message that appeared in an old version where you should ask the devs to add the feature.

It's been suggested many times before, and filters can be imitated with filter inserters and limiting the chest inventory (the red X in the chest. Click, then click again to limit up to that slot).

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

See viewtopic.php?f=80&t=15326 Stack Filters for Chest, Vehicles and others

In my opinion this subject goes more and more into direction of boxing/containerization:
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=19343 Boxing / Packaging / Container / Cargobox : Pre-Filling
namely in the sense of using "true containers": Pre-filled container is put on a specialized car/wagon instead of filling/emptying the wagons.

The filling can be done in a special device that is aware of the number of items that should be inside of that container.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Because it wouldn't improve the gameplay while also reducing performance and increasing save file size.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

ssilk wrote:See viewtopic.php?f=80&t=15326 Stack Filters for Chest, Vehicles and others

In my opinion this subject goes more and more into direction of boxing/containerization:
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=19343 Boxing / Packaging / Container / Cargobox : Pre-Filling
namely in the sense of using "true containers": Pre-filled container is put on a specialized car/wagon instead of filling/emptying the wagons.

The filling can be done in a special device that is aware of the number of items that should be inside of that container.
Currently we have barrels for crude oil. Wouldn't it be rather trivial to make a mod for containers that are just barrels that can be filled with non-fluid items?

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

There are about half a dozen mods that do this.
Look for "boxing", "container" and such stuff. I still recommend the boxing mod, cause it enables also some crafting of items directly "out of the box". :) it adds so new and quite complex logistics if you don't produce everything in one place.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “General discussion”