Tips for a noob?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.

Is the esc key a good tip to use? Choose honestly.

Yes
6%
No
24%
If you have family
6%
What is family?
65%

Total votes: 17

MrNardKing
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Tips for a noob?

Post by MrNardKing »

So far I love the game and I am about to launch my first rocket. With only 50 hours in the game so far, can anyone give me some tips? :D (Learning the hard way is painful).
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Pollution smells great

quinor
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Tips for a noob?

Post by quinor »

Learn the hard way, it's more fun and you'll understand the game better. Then look at others' builds but only look and inspire yourself, never copy.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

MrNardKing wrote:So far I love the game and I am about to launch my first rocket. With only 50 hours in the game so far, can anyone give me some tips? :D (Learning the hard way is painful).
Does the esc key still work to close the game? I thought we fixed the bug where players can exit the application...

SaintFlow
Inserter
Inserter

Post by SaintFlow »

Well, I woke up a few days ago and realized that i dreamt about 0.15 being released and playing it. my brain even made up his own version of the new hd textures. you better deliver boys! hahaha.

but yeah, that showed me that i should have used the esc button more often :lol:

MrNardKing
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by MrNardKing »

SaintFlow wrote:Well, I woke up a few days ago and realized that i dreamt about 0.15 being released and playing it. my brain even made up his own version of the new hd textures. you better deliver boys! hahaha.

but yeah, that showed me that i should have used the esc button more often :lol:
HD textures?? O boy can't wait!
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Pollution smells great

AcolyteOfRocket
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by AcolyteOfRocket »

Klonan wrote:
MrNardKing wrote:So far I love the game and I am about to launch my first rocket. With only 50 hours in the game so far, can anyone give me some tips? :D (Learning the hard way is painful).
Does the esc key still work to close the game? I thought we fixed the bug where players can exit the application...
So you admit that players might want to quit if you let them ? - FAIL...

Oh, wait still it's in alpha, we'll let you off this time :lol:

MrNardKing
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by MrNardKing »

Klonan wrote:
Apparently! I have exited the game about 9 times now :lol:
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Pollution smells great

LpmRaven
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by LpmRaven »

Learn to use combinators. Very helpful in making things efficient.

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

quinor wrote:Learn the hard way, it's more fun and you'll understand the game better. Then look at others' builds but only look and inspire yourself, never copy.
I ended up watching Let's Plays and stuff in my lunch break and I was kinda disappointed I ruined a bunch of stuff I could have worked out for myself. I wonder what solutions I could have come up with but now when I think I only get the standard designs. Though if you're intending on doing a Bob's Mods run that's on a whole new level and it's fun to do blind.

Though it doesn't hurt to look up some rail and combinator tutorials, they can be difficult to get your head around, unless you want to wait until 0.15 which should have tutorials built in.

EDIT oh and the optimal ratio for steam power is one Offshore Pump feeds 14 Boilers powering 10 Steam Engines (use dedicated pipes between each and don't cross them), and solar power is 0.84 Accumulators per Solar Panel.
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

Return to “General discussion”