Prevent Factorio from retrieving Steam achievements

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
rainbow
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Prevent Factorio from retrieving Steam achievements

Post by rainbow »

I would like to reset some achievements to get them again, but every time I delete "achievements.dat" in the profile folder, Factorio just retrieves the achievements from Steam and creates the file again. Is there some way to prevent this behaviour?

Currently, I know of the following options, which don't satisfy me:
  • I could just download Factorio from the website and use that, it will not retrieve the Steam achievements. However, I would like to play it on Steam, and I would like my play time to be updated there (so I can't just add it as a non-Steam game; also Steam auto-updates, a downloaded version doesn't)
  • Use a tool to reset the achievements in Steam itself, but then the first date that I earned the achievement will be lost as well.
  • Replace factorio.exe in the Factorio game folder with a non-Steam one (eg. from the website download), so it will track on Steam as usual (play time, etc), but won't integrate with steam (ie. won't download achievements). It would be replaced on the next update, though, and is pretty hacky in general.
Is there maybe some other trick I could use, to still play Factorio on Steam, but not have it download its achievements?

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Prevent Factorio from retrieving Steam achievements

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

Install a mod that doesn't really do anything, maybe Loot Chest or EvoGUI. Factorio will then disconnect its achievements from Steam and start a new "modded" set of achievements in a separate file which can be deleted to reset them.
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

rainbow
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by rainbow »

Install a mod that doesn't really do anything, maybe Loot Chest or EvoGUI. Factorio will then disconnect its achievements from Steam and start a new "modded" set of achievements in a separate file which can be deleted to reset them.
Thanks! I have never used mods before, so I thought achievements would just be disabled when using mods. I installed EvoGUI and started a new modded game, but I yet had all the achievements unlocked. I think it copied them from the Steam on startup or something. When I quit, deleted the "achievements.dat", and loaded the game again, I was at 0 achievements.
Last edited by rainbow on Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by impetus maximus »

you could play the package version of the game. that should give you fresh achievements for every map if i'm not mistaken.

OdinYggd
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by OdinYggd »

rainbow wrote:
Thanks! I have never used mods before, so I thought achievements would just be disabled when using mods. I installed EvoGUI and started a new modded game, but I yet had all the achievements unlocked. I think it copied them from the Steam on startup or something. When I quit, deleted the "achievements.dat", and loaded the game again, I was at 0 achievements. And as a bonus, EvoGUI seems pretty nice as well. :)
Adding mods disables steam achievements, but the game's internal achievements remain enabled. Not only that, but it is possible for mods to add in-game achievements.
In my mind, Steam is the eternal king of the railway.

vtx
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by vtx »

OdinYggd wrote:
rainbow wrote:
Thanks! I have never used mods before, so I thought achievements would just be disabled when using mods. I installed EvoGUI and started a new modded game, but I yet had all the achievements unlocked. I think it copied them from the Steam on startup or something. When I quit, deleted the "achievements.dat", and loaded the game again, I was at 0 achievements. And as a bonus, EvoGUI seems pretty nice as well. :)
Adding mods disables steam achievements, but the game's internal achievements remain enabled. Not only that, but it is possible for mods to add in-game achievements.
To reset achievement after installing a mod you have to delete achievements-modded.dat from save folder.

rainbow
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by rainbow »

Because I don't really want to use mods, I created an empty mod just to enable modded achievements. Just a basic info.json like this in a folder Empty_1.0.0 did the trick:

Code: Select all

{
  "name": "Empty",
  "version": "1.0.0",
  "factorio_version": "0.14",
  "title": "Empty Mod",
  "author": "rainbow"
}
Maybe such a mod already exists, but I couldn't find it on the mod portal. If it doesn't exist yet, perhaps I should submit it (and rename it to "enable modded achievements" or something)?

Return to “General discussion”