Anyone Ryzen Benchmarks?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.

Re: Anyone Ryzen Benchmarks?

Postby madpav3l » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:16 pm

The improvement in the "568 hours factory" is huge. Here is the save saved in Factorio version 0.16.22 because loading version older than 0.13.00 is disabled in Factorio version 0.16.XX.

Copy/paste from my reddit post where I tested 4 maps for improvements:
i7-8700K OC 5.0 GHz / Cache 5.0 GHz, 16 GB DDR4 3800 MHz 16-17-17-36-1T. Game and system installed on Samsung SSD 960 PRO (M.2) NVME (read 3500 MB/s, write 2100 MB/s).

0.15.40 - 40,5 to 42 UPS
0.16.0 - 170 to 180 UPS

I doubt that Ryzen will catch up, Ryzen's poor performance in Factorio is due to high latency to RAM.
Last edited by madpav3l on Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
madpav3l
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Postby lexx » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:56 pm

Same here on my ryzen system it's doing 60 ups now

I did not think about uncapped ups I be back 2 hours and I can uncap the ups to see what I am getting

Ryzen 1800x 8 core 3.92 (reported voltage under load 1.4v) , 32gb ram 16cl @2933 as system wount post at 3200 (corsair 3200 LPX 16cl 2x16gb kit)

I was getting around 22-24 ups 0.15.40 and max 60 on 0.16 (after 10-30 seconds, I was not counting and it was a rush check as had to do work)

OK I looked at the bottom of that reddit post I run all them maps as well with 15.40 and 16.0 at 50x game speed to see how my ryzen system stands up

The big issue was the ram controller been hammered when in late game with large base so if that's been Grateley reduced it be intresting what I get (considering I am still hampered by clock speed and 2933 ram)

as it was getting to the point where I was considering replacing my ryzen system for 8700k 3600/15cl Just because of one game (other games and programs work as expected) but don't really have the money for it (well I could but that limit me getting a monitor and video card)
lexx
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Postby lexx » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:20 am

102 zoomed out max and 110 default zoom (only done the game speed command)

map view dropping as low as 70 UPS
lexx
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Postby hoho » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:53 am

lexx wrote:102 zoomed out max and 110 default zoom (only done the game speed command)

That's quite likely due to having to blend together a metric ton of tree and shadow sprites and not so much about CPU limitations.

I wonder how much overdraw factorio does when rendering a forest with trees, their shadows, cloud shadows and player lights.
hoho
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Postby aober93 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:20 am

lexx wrote:102 zoomed out max and 110 default zoom (only done the game speed command)

Looks like the relation hasnt changed much then. But an OC coffee lake is expensive, mostly due the OC ofc.
aober93
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Postby bergi9 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:46 pm

madpav3l wrote:i7-8700K OC 5.0 GHz / Cache 5.0 GHz, 16 GB DDR4 3800 MHz 16-17-17-36-1T.

Does the CPU Cache Ratio overclocking affect Factorio? Because mine i7-6850K is OC to 4.4GHz but Cache Ratio is set as Default.

Edit: i overclocked my CPU Cache ratio from 31 to 38 and gained nice boost on transferspeed between the caches and memory. Also the latencies in the caches and memory decreased too.
bergi9
Inserter
Inserter

Postby madpav3l » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:50 pm

@bergi9
I did not measure it exactly but I think it does because affect the performance. As you said the latencies are lower.
madpav3l
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Postby dragontamer5788 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:33 pm

I would expect a game like Factorio to be memory-latency bound. AMD Ryzen has ~70ns of DRAM -> Register latency. Intel Skylake has~45ns of DRAM -> Register latency.

The prevailing theory is that Ryzen's Cross-CCX layer is adding a bit of latency. Note that Ryzen's memory organization is DRAM -> Infinity Fabric -> Core Complex (L3 -> Core (L2 -> L1 -> Register)). The parenthesis are there to help, because its a bit complicated. There are 2x Core Complexes on "big" Ryzen 1800X or 1700X chips. The smaller APUs (laptops) have only one Core Complex (CCX) and have lower latencies. Ryzen has doubled the size of the L2 cache to try and compensate for this fact (512kb on Ryzen but 256kb on Skylake), but Factorio has a huge number of updates per game-tick. There's no way it'd fit into L2 or L3 RAM.

There are 2 core complexes, and 4-cores per complex. That's why AMD was able to get such high core counts. Its an innate tradeoff: they have higher latencies but way more cores than Intel's design. There are also some interesting cost-savings with the way AMD is doing their system. Intel's organization is DRAM -> L3 -> Core (L2 -> L1 -> Registers), which is a more direct path but probably harder to build.

On a per-core and per-instruction basis... Ryzen is surprisingly competitive vs Skylake (within 10%). Its the latency in the memory system that seems to be hampering Ryzen in this particular game. Skylake has better AVX units (probably not used in Factorio??) and better DRAM -> Register Memory Latency.

Anyway, memory latency is when you read something from memory, change it a little bit, and then write it back out to memory. Memory latency hasn't changes in decades, it has always been around 50ns for computers. (Even as computers get faster and faster, latency has remained steady). One thing that HAS changed is how "parallel" DRAM can be. DDR4 can have 16 requests in parallel (due to the internal 16 banks), and with 2 channels, you can have 32 requests in parallel. With a large amount of cache (L1, L2, L3) on modern systems, as well as "out of order" execution, the growing latency can be "hidden" through parallel requests.

Basically, the optimization focus for modern systems is to focus on these "latency hiding" features of modern CPUs. Do whatever you can to assist the branch predictor, the cache, and yes: speculative execution. The 50ns of latency has been in existence for decades, and its unlikely to change anytime soon.

---------------

For the players: Other "simulation" games like Dwarf Fortress have also been primarily latency-bound. So of course, buy low-latency systems (ie: Skylake over Ryzen). If you still want Ryzen (its faster in some tasks), then do what you can to minimize latency. High MHz RAM works for Ryzen, particularly because the "infinity fabric" syncs to the memory clock. The faster you run the memory, the faster "infinity fabric" operates.

Buy low-latency RAM. There's 3 major operations for DRAM. Page Hit (tCAS Latency), Page Empty (tRAS + tCAS Latency), and Page-Miss (tRP + tRAS + tCAS Latency). There are other timings, but those three are the big ones. You'll want to buy RAM with the lowest latency (CAS Latency is usually easy to find), although the marketing numbers are a bit weird. CAS Latency is measured in clock cycles, not in nanoseconds for some reason. So be sure to divide by the MHz.

DDR4 (which has higher MHz and allows for more parallel accesses than DDR3) may help if the code allows the branch predictor and caches to do its job.
dragontamer5788
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Previous

Return to General discussion