Packet switching network in combinators?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
eViLegion
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Packet switching network in combinators?

Post by eViLegion »

TL;DR does anyone have any working examples of a packet switched network?

Hi
I'm currently inspired by NiftyManiac's amazing Grey Goo MK1, and trying to do roughly the same thing (with a few upgraded features).
I plan to build multiple concurrent processors to handle building different parts (e.g. 1st handles initial spiral, 2nd follows it tidying up dead miners, etc.) but I need them to communicate with each other, and with individual distant grid cells.

I currently have a system allowing separate processors to attempt communication on the same set of circuit wires, implementing a simple protocol to detect contention on the wires and to endlessly attempt to repeat at increasing intervals until successfully sent. It works pretty well, but relies on having different hard-coded prime number repeat intervals for different processors, and isn't exactly scalable.

I figure something like the location combinator mod (mods.factorio.com/mods/justarandomgeek/location-combinator/) perfectly provides a low-cost way to get a grid-address, but I'm wondering how I can build a packet switching solution.

I can already tell that a robust implementation of this principle is likely to be frustrating to put together, and difficult to efficiently pack into a small space, so if anyone could save me a headache with something off the shelf I would be very grateful! Ideally there's some elegant powerful system, but I'd be happy to settle for a big mess of wires also.

Failing that, I'll just roll up my sleeves, I guess!

Cheers,
- eVil

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Packet switching network in combinators?

Post by DaveMcW »

Previous designs have used a clock rather than collision detection. The drawback is you have to manually set each channel.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=19594

eViLegion
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Packet switching network in combinators?

Post by eViLegion »

Ah! Thanks very much.

There are some nice tidy designs in there; my stuff is all over the place!
I've realised a full packet switching system is going to take up huge amounts of space, so wouldn't be very useful without something like factorissimo + circuit network support.

Clock based design might be the way I need to go.

Thanks again!

Return to “General discussion”