Your own challenges?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
system
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Your own challenges?

Post by system »

Just completed width 9 map (infinite height).

Now looking for more challenges. Any suggestions?

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Your own challenges?

Post by posila »

Launch rocket on 64x64 map (or possibly smaller, but I know it is possible on 64x64). Even though it is probably easier than doing it on width 9 map. How much time did it take?

RoddyVR
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by RoddyVR »

posila wrote:Launch rocket on 64x64 map (or possibly smaller, but I know it is possible on 64x64). Even though it is probably easier than doing it on width 9 map. How much time did it take?
wow (at both the OP's 9 wide, and that 64*64 is possible. i would have thougth at that small a map, getting enough resourses for a rocket would be problematic (iron, copper and oil, plus need bitter nests for purple research... think i might try that as a "hardest mode i could fathom playing" game.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

RoddyVR wrote:plus need bitter nests for purple research... think i might try that as a "hardest mode i could fathom playing" game.
Oooh, I forgot, the map was in 0.15, where you don't need alien artifacts for research :(
You'll have to wait for that, I am sorry.

Resource wise, you have to restart the map few times until you get all 5 resources and use maximum richness.

RoddyVR
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by RoddyVR »

posila wrote:Launch rocket on 64x64 map (or possibly smaller, but I know it is possible on 64x64). Even though it is probably easier than doing it on width 9 map. How much time did it take?
I havent spent a day trying to find a map where this might be atleast theoreticaly possible, but i have just generated close to 100 64*64 maps, with varying generator options and can say for certain that not only getting to launching rocket is impossible on all of them, but even half way is impossible. For 2 reasons.

didnt get a single bitter nest in any of them. even very small starting area seems to be larger then 64*64, so no bitters. which means no purple science. I will admit i havent played limited size maps, so its possible bitters will come with a settler mindset from outside the map.
but eventhen, it wont help, cause in all those maps i didnt get a single oil pool. so forget blue science.
i didnt even bother doing the math on how much iron/copper/stone a rocket launch takes, to see if any of my maps had enough of each, but atleast there were some maps that had good patches of each, and with max richness, it might be enough.

If anyone has a map sting (and seed?) of a 64*64 map on which this is possible, please let me know them, as this idea has captured my interest.

system
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by system »

It took ~45 hours. Last 10, I was just waiting for rocket to be built. Also I spend maybe another 10 hours just afk (waiting research, solar production, etc). Also several people helped me on different stages.

I would avoid limited maps for a while. At least until 0.15

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

RoddyVR wrote:I havent spent a day trying to find a map where this might be atleast theoreticaly possible, but i have just generated close to 100 64*64 maps, with varying generator options and can say for certain that not only getting to launching rocket is impossible on all of them, but even half way is impossible. For 2 reasons.

didnt get a single bitter nest in any of them. even very small starting area seems to be larger then 64*64, so no bitters. which means no purple science. I will admit i havent played limited size maps, so its possible bitters will come with a settler mindset from outside the map.
but eventhen, it wont help, cause in all those maps i didnt get a single oil pool. so forget blue science.
i didnt even bother doing the math on how much iron/copper/stone a rocket launch takes, to see if any of my maps had enough of each, but atleast there were some maps that had good patches of each, and with max richness, it might be enough.

If anyone has a map sting (and seed?) of a 64*64 map on which this is possible, please let me know them, as this idea has captured my interest.
I doubt there is any way to get biters on these small maps, because even with a very small starting area I think the map is still considered starting area and biters just don't spawn there. I also noticed that setting biters to high (or even medium) can vastly decrease the amount of ore you get on the same map. Maps generated with biters set to None constantly gave more (and bigger) ore fields than other maps.

Oil is also a bit tricky to get. I found some by generating the maps with low ore fields and then increasing the amount of ore and hoping there will be enough to launch a rocket. Changing the frequency of ores can also change their placement and that of other resources. For example on the map below, decreasing the size or frequency of stone will also decrease the number of oil patches.

This is the best exchange string I came up with:

Code: Select all

>>>AAAOABYAAAABAwYAAAAEAAAAY29hbAQBBQoAAABjb3BwZXItb3Jl
BQMFCQAAAGNydWRlLW9pbAUFBQoAAABlbmVteS1iYXNlBQADCAAAAGl
yb24tb3JlAQMFBQAAAHN0b25lBQUFtrmTM0AAAABAAAAAAQDGbwHs<<<
  • Oil patches: 10
  • Iron ore: 532k
  • Copper ore: 2.2M
  • Stone: 1.4M
  • Coal: 200k
A complete rocket+satellite will cost 100k iron ore (without modules, source). I don't know what the science leading up to that costs but I think a total of 500k should make this possible easily.

I'll also add a small piece of code I wrote to get these numbers, this will count all vanilla ores on a map and print it to the console:

Code: Select all

for i, ore in pairs({"copper-ore", "iron-ore", "stone", "coal"}) do
	local entities = game.player.surface.find_entities_filtered{name=ore, type="resource"}
	local amount = 0
	for j, entity in pairs(entities) do
		amount = amount + entity.amount
	end
	game.player.print(ore..": "..amount)
end
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

Return to “General discussion”