Typo Reports/Linguistic Advice?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Vexleigh
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Typo Reports/Linguistic Advice?

Post by Vexleigh »

To my knowledge, the dev team has been rather fastidious about not allowing typos in the game, and I respect that. Even more so knowing that English isn't their first language.

That being said, I always wondered why "transport belts" weren't called "conveyor belts", and "iron gear wheels" weren't just called "cogs". These things, however, are not necessarily wrong, but "landfill" refers to a garbage dump. From the Wikipedia article on Land Reclamation: "The process is called 'infilling' and the material used to fill the space is generically called 'infill'."

Long story short, I was browsing the Factorio Wiki after a long time of not playing, and found the page on Landfill. I told my SO about it, whose first thought was that it was a new building type that would somehow reduce pollution.

Anyway, regarding the title, I tried very hard to find the proper section in the forums to report typos to, and I couldn't find it, never mind anything about linguistic advice. I hope this will do.

yousai
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Typo Reports/Linguistic Advice?

Post by yousai »

Maybe they want modders to be able to define more specific types of gear wheels in the future. So that a modded engine recipe might require multitudes of pinions, spur gears, sprockets, etc. ;P

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

Vexleigh wrote:To my knowledge, the dev team has been rather fastidious about not allowing typos in the game, and I respect that. Even more so knowing that English isn't their first language.

That being said, I always wondered why "transport belts" weren't called "conveyor belts", and "iron gear wheels" weren't just called "cogs". These things, however, are not necessarily wrong, but "landfill" refers to a garbage dump. From the Wikipedia article on Land Reclamation: "The process is called 'infilling' and the material used to fill the space is generically called 'infill'."

Long story short, I was browsing the Factorio Wiki after a long time of not playing, and found the page on Landfill. I told my SO about it, whose first thought was that it was a new building type that would somehow reduce pollution.

Anyway, regarding the title, I tried very hard to find the proper section in the forums to report typos to, and I couldn't find it, never mind anything about linguistic advice. I hope this will do.
If there is a type or bug, you can report it on the bug forum,
If its just an opinion on item names, then you can post it in ideas and suggestions

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

Did that with Modules (which am I talking about? Good question!) but apparently it's too complex to change names this late in the game or something? I think that was Ssilk's opinion, didn't get any dev response.

Though I will express my gratitude for renaming "effectivity" modules >< blegh
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

Return to “General discussion”