switch from .14 to .15 - savegame compatibility

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
bikinihorst
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

switch from .14 to .15 - savegame compatibility

Post by bikinihorst »

Hello!

I have been thinking about the future migration from the current Factorio branch to .15 which brings many changes. Many of these changes will to impact existing savegames much. I am currently experimenting on a new circuit factory and would very much like to export it into the library and start over in .15 where I would build it again. Will this be possible or is my effort in vain?
  • Uranium deposits: will there be deposits added on savegame conversion or will the existence of Uranium in the world dependent on the map generator seed?
  • Blueprints / Blueprint Library: will you be able to transfer the blueprints from your inventory to your library?
  • Research options: will the new options just be added to the existing ones so you can build your new research pack factory?
  • Pumps: what's going to happen to existing 1x1 pumps when the new pump entity is a different size - 2x1?
So the big question is: Will you even be able to load a savegame from pre .15 or will this be a new (forced) beginning?

I have not found a more fitting area to post this, because it isn't a support case. This area seems fitting since it concerns the development of .15 - please move the topic if it is in the wrong place.

Thank you!

/edit: I tried to post this on "Development Proposals" and now it's in "Balancing". It wasn't moved

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: switch from .14 to .15 - savegame compatibility

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

I would have thought it better posted in Technical Help as the devs are more active there.

Personally I've never migrated a save, would rather avoid the potential problems. I believe they've said that the old 1x1 pumps will simply be deleted and you'll have to manually fix it because it would be too complex to try to update. Perhaps they will put in a snippet that says if there is a simple straight bit of pipe before or after it a new pump will be put in but maybe not.

AFAIK the Blueprint Library allows you to generate blueprints from it so I assume the reverse is true.

Not sure what you mean by Research options, I think any old research (such as Alien Science) will just be removed and you'll need to research any new science. The recipes for the old Science Packs will be removed (the Assemblers will be reset to no recipe) and any Science Packs you've already made, actually I'm not sure. Alien science packs will probably just disappear but the rest might stay as it's just the recipe being updated.

Incidentally this topic would probably be better in Technical Help, maybe Gameplay Help.
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

bikinihorst wrote:Hello!

I have been thinking about the future migration from the current Factorio branch to .15 which brings many changes. Many of these changes will to impact existing savegames much. I am currently experimenting on a new circuit factory and would very much like to export it into the library and start over in .15 where I would build it again. Will this be possible or is my effort in vain?
  • Uranium deposits: will there be deposits added on savegame conversion or will the existence of Uranium in the world dependent on the map generator seed?
  • Blueprints / Blueprint Library: will you be able to transfer the blueprints from your inventory to your library?
  • Research options: will the new options just be added to the existing ones so you can build your new research pack factory?
  • Pumps: what's going to happen to existing 1x1 pumps when the new pump entity is a different size - 2x1?
So the big question is: Will you even be able to load a savegame from pre .15 or will this be a new (forced) beginning?

I have not found a more fitting area to post this, because it isn't a support case. This area seems fitting since it concerns the development of .15 - please move the topic if it is in the wrong place.

Thank you!

/edit: I tried to post this on "Development Proposals" and now it's in "Balancing". It wasn't moved
The migration will work as all migrations have worked before,

Entities such as the boiler will simply be replaced, leading to collision box problems, not connecting etc. So you will have to pick these all up and fix your stuff

The uranium ore will be 'regenerated' onto the map, so that existing maps will have deposits as if the ore has always been in the game

Blueprints will have no problems, the items aren't being affected or removed

The research will just be added, old technology requirements will be changed, old science pack items and recipes will simply be removed from the save game, and the blue recipe will be changed

So in all, you can load the game, but many things may be broken. There won't be any corruption or save destruction, and if there is it is a bug, and you should let us know so we can fix it

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

Klonan wrote:There won't be any corruption or save destruction, and if there is it is a bug, and you should let us know so we can fix it
In any case it's always a good idea to make a backup of your old save before loading and saving it in 0.15, as especially early experimental versions could have bugs that corrupt the save in a way you only notice later. (*cough* LuaEntity::fix_rail() *cough*)

EDIT: moved to General discussion, it doesn't really fit anywhere else.
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

bikinihorst
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by bikinihorst »

Thank you very much for the detailed answers. This certainly puts my mind at ease!

This thread can be closed or moved now. I am unable to do this myself

Smarty
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Smarty »

actually im going to sticky it for other people who have questions about switching to another version

AssaultRaven
Inserter
Inserter

Post by AssaultRaven »

Over all, I really think that save game compatibility shouldn't be a concern until v1.0. Surely we're still at the point where things should be broken whenever convenient, right?

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

AssaultRaven wrote:Over all, I really think that save game compatibility shouldn't be a concern until v1.0. Surely we're still at the point where things should be broken whenever convenient, right?
Factorio has always been savegame-compatible for the last few versions. You can still load 0.11.x saves in the current version (0.14). It is even possible to load early 2013 savegames (0.3.x) in the current version if you load and save them repeatedly in newer versions.

Neemys
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Neemys »

Maybe a dev can confirm this, but as there is new biome, the world generation should change. So when switching to 0.15 with 0.14 save, newly explored area might do some brutal change between old 0.14 chunk and new 0.15 chunk.
Want more space restriction ? Or maybe you want to be forced to use train for other thing than ore and oil ? Try Building Platform Mod !

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

Neemys wrote:Maybe a dev can confirm this, but as there is new biome, the world generation should change. So when switching to 0.15 with 0.14 save, newly explored area might do some brutal change between old 0.14 chunk and new 0.15 chunk.
Pretty much correct, map generation has changes, so new areas will look different

You will probably only notice at the boundary of old and new

Kryptos
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Kryptos »

Can confirm. This is a save that originally started in 0.12. Either the 12>13 or the 13>14 update didn't break biomes, but you can clearly see where the update did. Original map settings were water only in starting area, highest enemies, and I think medium everything else and low oil. RSO mod mostly enabled, you'll see tiny patches of closely spaced resources for the times I turned off RSO for achievements.
Attachments
Factorio map.jpg
Factorio map.jpg (373.34 KiB) Viewed 18405 times

Tym
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Tym »

It hasn't been a problem for me as yet, as I've only started on 14.22, and have yet to finish my first sandbox. Is it possible to have more than one version of Factorio installed at a time?

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

Klonan wrote:Entities such as the boiler and pump will simply be replaced, leading to collision box problems, not connecting etc. So you will have to pick these all up and fix your stuff
Actually, pump won't be migrated. Old small-pumps will be removed from the map/blueprints when 0.14 save is loaded in 0.15.

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

Tym wrote:It hasn't been a problem for me as yet, as I've only started on 14.22, and have yet to finish my first sandbox. Is it possible to have more than one version of Factorio installed at a time?
Yes, by using the zip-versions they provide on their webpage.

Kane
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kane »

I don't trust these developers. I think they should give me a copy of 15 just to prove their not making up stories right?

:D :D :D :D :D

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

posila wrote:
Klonan wrote:Entities such as the boiler and pump will simply be replaced, leading to collision box problems, not connecting etc. So you will have to pick these all up and fix your stuff
Actually, pump won't be migrated. Old small-pumps will be removed from the map/blueprints when 0.14 save is loaded in 0.15.
After testing we decided to migrate the pump afterall, because it made fixing all the broken setups much harder without any indication of where the pumps use to be, and what their circuit conditions were

However the pumps will not function, and they will not pump any liquid in this broken state

mattj256
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by mattj256 »

I remember when I updated from 0.12 to 0.13 it took a few weeks for my mods to get updated. Obviously this isn't the responsibility of the developers. Expect the popular mods to get updated within the first few weeks. Don't expect EVERY mod to be updated. (Unless you're willing to update it yourself.)

fwyrl
Inserter
Inserter

Post by fwyrl »

Klonan wrote:
After testing we decided to migrate the pump afterall, because it made fixing all the broken setups much harder without any indication of where the pumps use to be, and what their circuit conditions were

However the pumps will not function, and they will not pump any liquid in this broken state
Could you give us some sort of map indicator to tell us where these pumps are when we port the map? I personally have half a dozen pumps scattered across my map, in kilometers-long oil pipelines, and no clue where they are, and I imagine others have it much worse.

Kane
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kane »

fwyrl wrote:
Klonan wrote:

Could you give us some sort of map indicator to tell us where these pumps are when we port the map? I personally have half a dozen pumps scattered across my map, in kilometers-long oil pipelines, and no clue where they are, and I imagine others have it much worse.
Not a bad idea he could with his map changes add some sort of new changes or migration icons on the map :)

mattj256
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by mattj256 »

Kane wrote: Not a bad idea he could with his map changes add some sort of new changes or migration icons on the map :)
Or (as I believe someone else suggested) a way to automatically highlight all entities of a specific type. Like highlight all transport belts, or all pumps, or whatever.

Return to “General discussion”