switch from .14 to .15 - savegame compatibility

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
sww1235
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: switch from .14 to .15 - savegame compatibility

Post by sww1235 »

Thank you for this sticky! I had started a new world for pre-0.15 work, (basic ore processing, research etc) and then thought ... "what if the saves are not compatible?" 50+ hours wasted. Now i know my efforts were not in vain, and I can fix stuff with robots :D .

Question about the research? Obviously new research and potentially infinite research will be added, but how would existing research with changed recipes function? i.e if I completed every single available research level pre 0.15, would things reset or just add new research only?

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

sww1235 wrote: Question about the research? Obviously new research and potentially infinite research will be added, but how would existing research with changed recipes function? i.e if I completed every single available research level pre 0.15, would things reset or just add new research only?
Completed research will stay completed with their effects/bonuses even if new science packs would be required for them in 0.15, newly added research will have to be researched using the new science packs.
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

I have this to say: Whatever you do, backup your 0.14 save before loading it in 0.15, with all the optimizations going on there is high risk of save corruption in the first few 0.15 experimental releases.

Proxy
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Proxy »

Goddammit, i read Switch in the title and got Excited.... :c

kinnom
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kinnom »

Proxy wrote:Goddammit, i read Switch in the title and got Excited.... :c
We've all been there lol
no yes yes no yes no yes yes

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

posila wrote:I have this to say: Whatever you do, backup your 0.14 save before loading it in 0.15, with all the optimizations going on there is high risk of save corruption in the first few 0.15 experimental releases.
I have this to say: Let everything behind when upgrading to 0.15.
Me never lost anything by getting on to a newer system but got rid of stuff I did not really need.
Old stuff only slows you and drags you down

DeWil_86
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by DeWil_86 »

Klonan wrote:
bikinihorst wrote:Hello!

I have been thinking about the future migration from the current Factorio branch to .15 which brings many changes. Many of these changes will to impact existing savegames much. I am currently experimenting on a new circuit factory and would very much like to export it into the library and start over in .15 where I would build it again. Will this be possible or is my effort in vain?
  • Uranium deposits: will there be deposits added on savegame conversion or will the existence of Uranium in the world dependent on the map generator seed?
  • Blueprints / Blueprint Library: will you be able to transfer the blueprints from your inventory to your library?
  • Research options: will the new options just be added to the existing ones so you can build your new research pack factory?
  • Pumps: what's going to happen to existing 1x1 pumps when the new pump entity is a different size - 2x1?
So the big question is: Will you even be able to load a savegame from pre .15 or will this be a new (forced) beginning?

I have not found a more fitting area to post this, because it isn't a support case. This area seems fitting since it concerns the development of .15 - please move the topic if it is in the wrong place.

Thank you!

/edit: I tried to post this on "Development Proposals" and now it's in "Balancing". It wasn't moved
The migration will work as all migrations have worked before,

Entities such as the boiler will simply be replaced, leading to collision box problems, not connecting etc. So you will have to pick these all up and fix your stuff

The uranium ore will be 'regenerated' onto the map, so that existing maps will have deposits as if the ore has always been in the game

Blueprints will have no problems, the items aren't being affected or removed

The research will just be added, old technology requirements will be changed, old science pack items and recipes will simply be removed from the save game, and the blue recipe will be changed

So in all, you can load the game, but many things may be broken. There won't be any corruption or save destruction, and if there is it is a bug, and you should let us know so we can fix it
Hi!

First of, great game!

And for my question. I'm not getting any uranium on my pre-0.15 saves. I did when 0.15 came out but not any more. Not even with a save that has not been loaded on 0.15 before. Hope that this can be fixed. :)

mathturtle
Inserter
Inserter

Post by mathturtle »

I just got around to updating some of my old saves from .14 to .15 last week. All of my oil wells that were at 0.1 in 0.14 are now at 5%, which I think means that I'm getting even less oil than before :(. Plus it is below the minimum yield in 0.15 :evil:. And even the untapped oil to the south of my base has strangely low numbers (I see about 100% total yield in map view and it has about 8 spots). Does anyone else see this strange reduction in oil when migrating? Should I report a bug?

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

mathturtle wrote:I just got around to updating some of my old saves from .14 to .15 last week. All of my oil wells that were at 0.1 in 0.14 are now at 5%, which I think means that I'm getting even less oil than before :(. Plus it is below the minimum yield in 0.15 :evil:. And even the untapped oil to the south of my base has strangely low numbers (I see about 100% total yield in map view and it has about 8 spots). Does anyone else see this strange reduction in oil when migrating? Should I report a bug?
We never said we would migrate the oil patch resource amounts, so in any case its not a bug

mathturtle
Inserter
Inserter

Post by mathturtle »

We never said we would migrate the oil patch resource amounts, so in any case its not a bug
Ok, I guess I'll just fix it with a command... I don't really care about achievements on those old maps anyway.

Return to “General discussion”