Gog.com key too?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Foreros
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Gog.com key too?

Post by Foreros »

I'm a gog.com user and sadly I've purchased the game directly here without thinking about gog.com account.
There's a way to receive a gog.com code like the steam key you're giving on request?
Thanks for your answer, when you can give one to me.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Gog.com key too?

Post by Klonan »

Foreros wrote:I'm a gog.com user and sadly I've purchased the game directly here without thinking about gog.com account.
There's a way to receive a gog.com code like the steam key you're giving on request?
Thanks for your answer, when you can give one to me.
We don't offer any GOG keys unfortunately

Foreros
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Foreros »

Ok, thanks again for your answer.
I hope soon Factorio go on "gog connect" function, so I can transfer the game from steam to Gog.com.
When it happen I go publish it here for who want do it.
I have to thank Gog.com for this wonderful game, because I have discovered it thanks to the twitch channel gogcom.
I feel a little dirty for this "betrayal". :P

aober93
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aober93 »

I wonder why. do the devs have anything against GOG? They also dont update their releases on GOG as frequently as on steam.

Xenomorph
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Xenomorph »

Because gog has no automated update like steam ;)

I have some games on gog and i must check for updates by myself and if there is one, i msut download it and run the .exe
That waste my time and i hate that. And i never has any problem with the drm on steam there is no advantage for me to have factorio on gog as a drm free version.

EDIT: I checked the gog page and factorio is still available for 20 bugs?!

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

aober93 wrote:I wonder why. do the devs have anything against GOG? They also dont update their releases on GOG as frequently as on steam.
We update GOG at exactly the same time as everywhere else,
However GOG does not deploy these updates automatically, there has to be someone told to release the next version, unlike steam and our website

We don't have anything against GOG, but it is not one of the main areas the community shows interest, and setting up the GOG key system would be a lot more work than the steam key system.

aober93
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aober93 »

Well i got it thru GOG and they supplied me a key for the factorio site, so i get automatic updates in the game updater immidiately LOL. Its the other way around but still.
Anyway its really annoying that you regret buying it off a platform every once in a while. It doesnt help the customers. Not that it matters much, who doesnt run origin/uplay/steam/gog/and every other games special launcher besides their xbox/playstation/wii :D

Foreros
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Foreros »

I like gog.com over others because it give games running evem without an internet connection.
This let me play with my notebook even where connection is not available. This, for me, is a true gem confronted whit steam, origin, etc. etc. etc.

Neemys
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Neemys »

Foreros wrote:I like gog.com over others because it give games running evem without an internet connection.
This let me play with my notebook even where connection is not available. This, for me, is a true gem confronted whit steam, origin, etc. etc. etc.
that's where people are wrong about steam, it's not steam that blocking game availability in offline but game maker. I have game on steam that are available without connexion, some even without steam launched. It's up to dev to implement (or not) the DRM

I like steam because it's stable and no delay in update. I also like not having publicity for other game while I'm installing a game I purchased (I saw that when a friend installed some other game). Workshop is also nice.
Want more space restriction ? Or maybe you want to be forced to use train for other thing than ore and oil ? Try Building Platform Mod !

Foreros
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Foreros »

Neemys wrote:
Foreros wrote:I like gog.com over others because it give games running evem without an internet connection.
that's where people are wrong about steam, it's not steam that blocking game availability in offline but game maker. I have game on steam that are available without connexion, some even without steam launched. It's up to dev to implement (or not) the DRM

I like steam because it's stable and no delay in update. I also like not having publicity for other game while I'm installing a game I purchased (I saw that when a friend installed some other game). Workshop is also nice.
The links created by steam are steam referred icons, so without steam running you cant use them and if you are offline, steam wont start at all. At least my win copy work this way...

JulianSkies
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by JulianSkies »

Foreros wrote:
Neemys wrote:

The links created by steam are steam referred icons, so without steam running you cant use them and if you are offline, steam wont start at all. At least my win copy work this way...
You know you can configure Steam offline mode, right? Log in once, choose to turn on offline mode and bam, it now has your stuff configured for offline play so even if your internet connection dies you can still keep playing with the saved credentials (you don't need to remain in offline mode either, as long as you initiated it at least once it saves your credentials for offline in case internet dies)

inteljoe
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by inteljoe »

Reminds me of a time where you used to have to go to a developers website from time to time to check for patches, download an installer, and run the risk of having to uninstall completely and install a patch over a fresh install. It wasn't that long ago either, maybe 10 or 15 years. That's when games had "Expansion Packs" (and even most didn't) and the term "DLC" didn't exist. Auto-Updates be praised though.

Ok, I'm done being too old.

dee-
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by dee- »

I just want a Debian repository for automatic updates ;)

quinor
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by quinor »

There is an AUR package for Arch Linux :)

Return to “General discussion”