Conveyor belt question & idea

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
migizi
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Conveyor belt question & idea

Post by migizi »

I saw this on the forum awhile ago but I wanted to bring it up again. Conveyor belts seem to be powered by nothing. Most everything else has some kind of logical fuel for use. Wouldn't it make sense that conveyor belts need some form or power to operate?

I was thinking maybe we see them as a self contained entity that just needs power and can relay the power to connected belts. So you just connect one to the line and the rest work.

Another option would be seeing them as requiring an "engine" of sorts to run. So each line has to be connected to a machine that operates the belts in the line. Might make it little difficult to get some of the setups that people enjoy. (With this idea maybe the conveyor belt is basic and the master "engine" controls the speed. So updating the engine increases the speed of all the belts connected to it.)

If they remain the same that's fine with me. I was just thinking about logical continuity.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Conveyor belt question & idea

Post by kovarex »

Hello,

we discussed this several times already and the conclusion is, that it is best to keep it this way.

These belts would have to consume very little energy to make it balanced and as the player is usually producing energy anyway, it would just create unnecessary hassle everywhere, while the game mechanics and progress wouldn't change much. So we prefer to let this one thing being not realistic and let the player spend his time doing something that is more fun.

migizi
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by migizi »

Oh man factoring in fun game play over logic, how crazy heh.

I see the point and I would rather not turn the belts into a hassle. I'll just pretend they are full of mice on wheels. The faster ones have a steady diet of caffeine :lol:

GewaltSam
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GewaltSam »

migizi wrote:Oh man factoring in fun game play over logic, how crazy heh.

I see the point and I would rather not turn the belts into a hassle. I'll just pretend they are full of mice on wheels. The faster ones have a steady diet of caffeine :lol:
This breed of Roborowskis is powering express belts: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXRH50fvHWA

And now you also know what happens on the inside when there is a backlog :D

Return to “General discussion”