Modules in Pumpjacks

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
JoeSchmoe
Inserter
Inserter

Modules in Pumpjacks

Post by JoeSchmoe »

So my map only has a few oil wells, (I'm talking like 2 groups of 3) which are all now producing 0.1 oil / s.

Lets say I put in a 20% speed module, does that basically mean I'm getting 0.120 / s?
Isn't that much better than say a 8% productivity module which would only be 0.108 / s?

Am i right, or am I misunderstanding what is going on here?

Lee_newsum
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Modules in Pumpjacks

Post by Lee_newsum »

Pumpjacks 0.1 units per second
so a 20% speed module will macke it 0.1 units per 0.8 of a second (so you will get 0.1 a bit faster)

productivity module IF THEY WORK ? wood add 0.1 (100/8= 12.5) 12 to 13 pumps (ie 1to12 you will get 0.1 on the 13 you will get 0.2 and back to the star)

BurnHard
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BurnHard »

Yes the speed module would grant you more oil per second due to the fact oil is an infinite resource.

Compared to an orefield with eg 1000 iron ore: The speedmodule would you let mine also 20% faster, but the resource field is also depleted 20% faster, granting 1000 ore in total. 3 productivity modules here instead would be a lot slower a lot slower, but would give you 1000 + 80x3 = 1240 ore in total.

IF not completely starving material you should use effectivity modules (saves energy AND pollution)

JoeSchmoe
Inserter
Inserter

Post by JoeSchmoe »

Sweet, I'll keep using the speed modules then. This map is ridiculously low on oil, 6 wells in my starting area, and my radar has only picked up maybe the same amount in the surrounding area. I'm hoping to find the mother load after clearing some biters.

Ric
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Ric »

6 oil spots is probably enough to keep yourself in oil for at least 20hours play.

Just don't build all the jack at the same time or make sure you have a crap tonne of storage tanks ready as it pumps fast!

In my current world, I've got a similar amount(maybe one more) & it lasted me for 30hours before I had to expand to another area as I only built one jack at a time & refined carefully so I had enough for all the different parts of the industry + I overproduce everything.

Although I only use solar power so didn't have to refine any into solid fuel for burners etc..

Luckily infinite worlds always guarantee resources if you run out :D
"To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, it's half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice the size it needs to be"

epiccreature
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by epiccreature »

to depleted oil, productivity module will not increase it but to lower the speed.

to maximize 0.1 oil rig, you can try on speed module 3 + beacon with speed module in

Deathmage
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Deathmage »

Six? I had one... Still there is a reason my oil train goes about 1500 blocks per round trip. More excuse to use trains!

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

epiccreature wrote:to maximize 0.1 oil rig, you can try on speed module 3 + beacon with speed module in
Or beacons with speed module in. :D
pumpjack700.jpg
pumpjack700.jpg (234.86 KiB) Viewed 22552 times

tralala
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by tralala »

DaveMcW wrote:
epiccreature wrote:to maximize 0.1 oil rig, you can try on speed module 3 + beacon with speed module in
Or beacons with speed module in. :D
pumpjack700.jpg
Nice. :o
but... 972 KW power consumption plus a lofty 5760 KW for the beacons and you still getting "only" 0.7 /s

therapist
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by therapist »

tralala wrote:Nice. :o
but... 972 KW power consumption plus a lofty 5760 KW for the beacons and you still getting "only" 0.7 /s
If thats your only pumpjack on a limited size map, this is an amazing solution.

_aD
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by _aD »

I tend to use Productivity modules until the jack hits 0.1% then Speed modules - and beacons if there is a good use case for them.
<mngrif> all factorianship is of the highest quality. it glistens with spikes of production modules.

pbhead
Inserter
Inserter

Post by pbhead »

therapist wrote:
tralala wrote:Nice. :o
If thats your only pumpjack on a limited size map, this is an amazing solution.

Is it? 0.7 oil per second can be translated into how many solid fuels per second? And that refinery and chemical plants take power too.

well, each solid fuel is 25 MJ, so I suppose as long as you are getting ~1/4th of a solid fuel per second from the well, you break even.

my math right on that? :?:

Gammro
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Gammro »

We can't verify your math if you don't show the calculations :P
Ignore this

sgk
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by sgk »

What does solid fuel have to do with it? If you have to throw energy at the problem to get your advanced circuits and processing modules faster, throw energy at it.

pbhead
Inserter
Inserter

Post by pbhead »

sgk wrote:What does solid fuel have to do with it? If you have to throw energy at the problem to get your advanced circuits and processing modules faster, throw energy at it.

some of us might not always want to live in a world of Infinite OP solar panels. In which case you have to be careful about your energy usage, and it might be fun to figure out how to get the most energy out of every drop of oil.

Marconos
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Marconos »

I won't use solar panels in my world, too OP IMO. I use Very High bugs + Big size to start with. Then no solar, you can imagine my pollution levels and the number of bugs I run into. I also play where if you die you don't restore, the game is over. Haven't won yet. Without infinite power you have to rely on bullet turrents with some lasers mixed in.

In that situation, I need the solid fuel from oil once my coal reserves are running low to out. in that case, I hopefully have stretched my oil out big time in the early game so I still have something I can use late in the game.

Holy-Fire
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Holy-Fire »

JoeSchmoe wrote: Lets say I put in a 20% speed module, does that basically mean I'm getting 0.120 / s?
Yes. For depleted wells you want speed modules, no question.

However, for non-depleted wells, speed modules speed up the rate of depletion, while productivity modules do not.

It can be mathematically shown that long-term, a +20% speed module results in an addition of 0.02 oil per second of operating (regardless of current yield). Whereas a prod module will depend on the current yield.

For example, suppose you have a 300% yield well. It generates 3 oil/s. Putting a +20% speed module is equivalent to getting 0.02 oil/s (more at first, but that comes at the expense of future yield). A module that gives +8% productivity, -20% speed will make you lose 0.02 oil/s due to the speed penalty, but it will make you gain 0.08 * (1-0.2) * 3 = 0.192 oil/s. So effectively the prod module gives you 0.172 oil/s, much better than the speed module's 0.02. (Ignoring energy consumption and pollution). When the yield drops to 62%, you should switch to a speed module. (Because 0.08*0.8*0.625-0.02 = 0.02).

Return to “General discussion”