GIF Mini Tutorials!

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Prezombie
Inserter
Inserter

Re: GIF Mini Tutorials!

Post by Prezombie »

One confusing bit is how the center placements favoring left is a relative left, but you used it differently earlier. Explicitly say north and west when you're using absolute directions, not up and left.

Ideas for more gifs:

Inserters prefer to pull from the far lane.

Long-armed inserters pull and place 2 tiles away, and can't touch a belt only 1 tile away. (this confused me for a while, thinking long handled one could handle near stuff too.)

Inserters can't reliably pull from the short side of a corner belt.

Using pairs of fast inserters and a chest to prevent clogging up basic production lines.

Splitters don't change the lane of the item.

Underground belts can overlap underground, but "stacking" them is prone to connection errors when the map is reloaded, and should be avoided.

Show that the steam generators have their connections in the middle of the short side.

Trains and carriages are 3 track pieces, or 6 tiles long each, meaning they can only be loaded by 12 inserters at once. Train automation doesn't allow backwards trains, put a train on each end or loop it.

mpstark
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by mpstark »

I have returned with some better quality GIFs, these suitable for the wiki, and as promised, are recorded at 33fps at true gamespeed (or at least, much closer). Gallery for the new ones is here but all of them included ones that I redid before are available in the old album here

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Prezombie wrote:One confusing bit is how the center placements favoring left is a relative left, but you used it differently earlier. Explicitly say north and west when you're using absolute directions, not up and left.

Ideas for more gifs:

Inserters prefer to pull from the far lane.

Long-armed inserters pull and place 2 tiles away, and can't touch a belt only 1 tile away. (this confused me for a while, thinking long handled one could handle near stuff too.)

Inserters can't reliably pull from the short side of a corner belt.

Using pairs of fast inserters and a chest to prevent clogging up basic production lines.

Splitters don't change the lane of the item.

Underground belts can overlap underground, but "stacking" them is prone to connection errors when the map is reloaded, and should be avoided.

Show that the steam generators have their connections in the middle of the short side.

Trains and carriages are 3 track pieces, or 6 tiles long each, meaning they can only be loaded by 12 inserters at once. Train automation doesn't allow backwards trains, put a train on each end or loop it.
I've fixed the left/west thing in the newest batch. Inserters actually prefer to pull from the closer lane and I have added that as one of the new ones. I will be sure to keep the others in mind for the future!

Prezombie
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Prezombie »

These ones are so much nicer.

The pulling from close end is what clogged several of my early lines, and I was still mixing it up.

On the aesthetic side, I'd suggest building dioramas with substations so you don't catch the poles in the image.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I really love this!
I try to include that ASAP into the Wiki.

Side note: I said it some month ago, that most stuff in Factorio is explained much easier in pics, instead of walls of text. I think it was the time, when I wrote about the signaling....

Yes: https://forums.factorio.com/wiki/inde ... ock_signal
The top text in the code-block... Btw, there is a cool picture guide added on the page.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Hogweed
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Hogweed »

Excellent images! Some of this stuff really surprised me,and game me a lots of ideas around problems I had before. Well done!

matheod
Inserter
Inserter

Post by matheod »

Wow, that amazing ! There was lots of thing I didn't understand when reading wiki I now understand in 2s thanks to your gif !

There is just this gif I didn't understand : http://i.imgur.com/JNNFTUC.gif

Ps : Keep making gif with text because this allow to learn lots of things quickly.

<3

mpstark
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by mpstark »

matheod wrote:Wow, that amazing ! There was lots of thing I didn't understand when reading wiki I now understand in 2s thanks to your gif !

There is just this gif I didn't understand : http://i.imgur.com/JNNFTUC.gif

Ps : Keep making gif with text because this allow to learn lots of things quickly.

<3
The text was simply moved to the album title and not removed.

The GIF that you are talking about is simply telling you that splitters split per item type. Here's the comment from the album:
This is how splitters actually work; they have an ongoing state for each type of item that goes through. This has consequences.

Say that you have one copper followed by two coal followed by one iron. You might expect that the copper goes to lane 1, the first coal to lane 2, the second coal to lane 1, and then the iron to lane 2, but this doesn't have to be the case. Each item will go to the opposite lane of the preceding item of the same type. So the copper will go to lane 1 if the last copper went to lane 2 and is completely independent of coal and iron. So you might end up with the copper, the iron, and one of the pieces of coal on the same lane!

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

matheod
Inserter
Inserter

Post by matheod »

Oh okay, thanks !

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I uploaded now some on the wiki and included them.

Surprisingly they are too big for the current layout. :) And I cannot scale them down, cause Mediawiki will then deliver are reduced pic, which has only the first frame.

Nothing serious, I just want to mention it here.

The current pages is just some tests, how it looks and how they can be included on the existing pages:

https://forums.factorio.com/wiki/inde ... port_belts
https://forums.factorio.com/wiki/inde ... elts/Turns
https://forums.factorio.com/wiki/inde ... =Splitters

Besides that, there is of course the way to build up pure picture-guides for some special problems.

middle_manager
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by middle_manager »

Some of these gifs really caught me off guard. How long do you approximately take to make 1?

Club Sandbox
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Club Sandbox »

middle_manager wrote:Some of these gifs really caught me off guard. How long do you approximately take to make 1?
Hi,
Depend of the method use, if he have "photoshop" he can just put the movie in
And "PS" will create the giff by himself :p !
If he do it manualy (hope for him not) that can take at least 15min.
~ French Fan site community, manager my : Sandbox YT channel (Eng sub still WIP) ~

MaxStrategy
Inserter
Inserter

Post by MaxStrategy »

Oh I think I saw some of your gifs in an imgur album. I didn't realize how many more there were. Excellent work!

Club Sandbox
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Club Sandbox »

Hmm a mistake sneak in in the Friday Fact, i'am not the creator of the mini tutorial x) !
Even if i ve take contact with the creator few time ago (before he vanish) i thinks i ll continue his work so it's a "true fake hoax" posted by Tomas be warn :lol:
~ French Fan site community, manager my : Sandbox YT channel (Eng sub still WIP) ~

Alkalyne
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Alkalyne »

middle_manager wrote:Some of these gifs really caught me off guard. How long do you approximately take to make 1?

Hello, I think he is using GifCam here : http://blog.bahraniapps.com/?page_id=21 or something like this, but GifCam works perfectly and you can record a gif within 10s
Direct link here : http://www.bahraniapps.com/apps/gifcam/gifcam.php

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

We have a list of working programs:
https://forums.factorio.com/wiki/inde ... animations

I tested gif-cam quite a bit:
https://forums.factorio.com/wiki/inde ... ic_network

I think I need meanwhile a mod for all the stuff, that needs to be made before making pictures. :)

OBAMA MCLAMA
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by OBAMA MCLAMA »

Hey, i made a gif too.

I call it.. the useless thing.
When i stream twitch i always answer questions and try to help, come visit me.

Ohlmann
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Ohlmann »

Wouldn't that thing allow to put thing from right lane to left lane ?

Of course, it will not produce a balanced belt, or a left lane only belt if it's a bit busy. But it's extra compact.

HeroBiX
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by HeroBiX »

OBAMA MCLAMA wrote:Hey, i made a gif too.

I call it.. the useless thing.
well made! I like it, I think we can use more of you in our factory world ;)

Return to “General discussion”