I can't play this game anymore

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
aviantdosda
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

I can't play this game anymore

Post by aviantdosda »

Because I find myself foregoing food and hygiene playing this game. The game's absolutely brilliant.

Past few years I've found myself getting more jaded and jaded at the gaming industry as whole. Even as a big fan of 4x/city sims, each successive generations of games left me bored and uninspired. Sure, they got prettier, but the way games dealt with logistics and resources got more abstract. Most game's problems and challenges are "progressional", and almost always the solution to the problem is a "magic building" (*That has no input but produces output automatically).

Factorio is brilliant because its problems are purely logistical and visual - and the solution to it is the wit of the player and the player alone. There is no magic building that solves all my problems that I can just plop down in a general area to make stuff process faster or do it more effectively. (Teamsters, Elite Mega Tower, Wonders)

I would even go as far as saying Factorio is the first game of its own genre if it had a name would be called "Logistics Simulator".

It's crazy how a game this complex can be so intuitive just by having resources move visually and the problem and the solution to it becomes incredibly easy to recognize, but also does not insult my intelligence by giving me cope-out solutions like most other builder games do.

It's almost criminal the game's only 10 Euros. (But it did help me buy the game without hesitation)

Lastly, as an owner of both Prison Architect and Rimworld, I must say this game is the best one of three. Prison Architect and Rimworld are great games on their own, but compared to this game I feel they are lacking. Prison Architect lacks motivation (Building stuff to what end?), and the Rimworld lacks real resource processing and management (Uses raw metal only for every building).

I'll be looking forward to the game's future updates. The dev definitely seems to know what they're doing. The engine they made/using is an absolute magic (almost zero loading and infinite terrain with thousands of real moving objects), the UI is easy and logical and I haven't had a single moment I thought "This game could do this better differently". Even now I'm finding new things I could do in the game (Finding out about blueprints was MAGICAL).

This is the first game ever I had to consciously put off playing and even WoW didn't get me hooked like this. I won't be playing this game everyday, but when I do, I'll be up for 48 hours trying to perfect the flow of resources for automated production of Advanced Circuits.

Cheers.

P.S.: Please make electronic mining drill's graphic more pronounced. It hurts my eyes while trying to place them.

tralala
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: I can't play this game anymore

Post by tralala »

aviantdosda wrote:There is no magic building that solves all my problems that I can just plop down in a general area to make stuff process faster or do it more effectively.
Except logistic bots. Once you get them the game looses a lot of appeal (my opinion).

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

aviantdosda wrote: I would even go as far as saying Factorio is the first game of its own genre if it had a name would be called "Logistics Simulator".
Like that.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Lee_newsum
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Lee_newsum »

ssilk wrote:
aviantdosda wrote: I would even go as far as saying Factorio is the first game of its own genre if it had a name would be called "Logistics Simulator".
Like that.
+1

starxplor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by starxplor »

Adding* logistic bots helps at first, but eventually they get to be as much a pain, and more a bottle neck. At that point, rebuilding the entire array of processing with super fact belts and using advanced logistics methods can still improve throughput.

*Edited for spelling
Last edited by starxplor on Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goertzenator
Inserter
Inserter

Post by goertzenator »

tralala wrote:Except logistic bots. Once you get them the game looses a lot of appeal (my opinion).
I know what you mean. I think the bots should have an overlap limit after which they need to start moving around each other. This preserves their flexibility but puts limits on throughput.

Flux Faraday
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Flux Faraday »

Me too. I started playing May 4 and have clocked 258 hours across four freeplays and part of the campaign. My wife thinks I'm a nut.

Bottles
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Bottles »

aviantdosda wrote:I would even go as far as saying Factorio is the first game of its own genre if it had a name would be called "Logistics Simulator".
I agree with what you said, other than this. I played Settlers 20 years ago and had a lot of fun simulating logistics back then.

middle_manager
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by middle_manager »

Logistics bots are kind of slow, and are just good when you can't build the big fancy factory yet. They are a middle game item, to help when you're buliding your late game items, which can do the same job, but much faster

therapist
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by therapist »

aviantdosda wrote:I would even go as far as saying Factorio is the first game of its own genre if it had a name would be called "Logistics Simulator".
Check out an old game called Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom, it stands out to me as a very cool city manager centered around logistics. The rewarding nature of resource management in this game far outweighs the mechanics of it's predecessors.

Return to “General discussion”