Do you NEED oil to progress?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Zordah
Inserter
Inserter

Do you NEED oil to progress?

Post by Zordah »

New player on my first map here.
I have tech 1 and 2 all automated now and things seem to be going well (except for a biter attack that wiped half my base :D ).

I'm starting to find recipes that need plastic now which IIRC requires petroleum to produce.
Now I can only find 2 small spots of oil so far (about 81% full).

Will this be enough or is my progression stopped due to lack of nearby oil?

Chthon
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Do you NEED oil to progress?

Post by Chthon »

You can never actually run out of oil, though you will eventually find your wells drawing only .1/s which is tiny when you need 10 cured to make 3 heavy, 3 light, and 4 methane (1:4.5:5.5 if you have advanced)

With 2 wells producing .2/s total, this means it will take 50 seconds to get even one oil production cycle going. Then you also consider it takes 3 methane to make 1 plastic or 1 sulfur, that's 1 every ~27 seconds. This can grind your whole factory to a halt really. (A Sulfuric acid takes 5 sulfur so that's ~136 seconds per 4.5 battery cycle) Batteries are used in blue bottles, so that's not many bottles at that point.

The moral is, you have ~1.6 crude per second, this is small already, and it'll just get smaller. Find more. I just wish there were tankers in vanilla.

Teurlinx
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Teurlinx »

Chthon wrote:You can never actually run out of oil, though you will eventually find your wells drawing only .1/s which is tiny when you need 10 cured to make 3 heavy, 3 light, and 4 methane (1:4.5:5.5 if you have advanced)

With 2 wells producing .2/s total, this means it will take 50 seconds to get even one oil production cycle going. Then you also consider it takes 3 methane to make 1 plastic or 1 sulfur, that's 1 every ~27 seconds. This can grind your whole factory to a halt really. (A Sulfuric acid takes 5 sulfur so that's ~136 seconds per 4.5 battery cycle) Batteries are used in blue bottles, so that's not many bottles at that point.

The moral is, you have ~1.6 crude per second, this is small already, and it'll just get smaller. Find more. I just wish there were tankers in vanilla.
Well, we kinda have tankers. You can load the oil in barrels and then move them by train.

Zordah
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Zordah »

Thanks for the reply. So it WILL work just very slowly after the reserves are used up - that's good to know.

I don't mind slow as long as I don't get overrun by biters :D

Chthon
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Chthon »

Zordah wrote:Thanks for the reply. So it WILL work just very slowly after the reserves are used up - that's good to know.

I don't mind slow as long as I don't get overrun by biters :D
Don't worry, they only bite on Sundays.

Return to “General discussion”