Any tips on managing "junk" in your inventory

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Gregorovitch
Inserter
Inserter

Any tips on managing "junk" in your inventory

Post by Gregorovitch »

Two days into this amazing game and I've got to stumbling around the first steps in automating everything - a problem i seem to be having is when redesigning a system (or should i say attempting to make some sort of sense out of a complete shambles) I end up having to pick up massive quantities of "stuff" left behind after taking down conveyor belts/assemblers etc. I don't really know what to do with it, I wish i could just "poof" it way as i have so much of everything. I end up just plonking it in chests but this is a pain.

Is there some secret to getting rid of or recycling tons of coal, plates and so on that end up clogging your inventory?

undeadnightorc
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Any tips on managing "junk" in your inventory

Post by undeadnightorc »

If you have a car you can run over it, destroying the chest and all of its contents.

BTW, depending on the map I feel that storing extra coal and plates is never a bad thing. I always seem to have a use for those things, heh.

BurnHard
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BurnHard »

If I have "tons of coal and plates" in my inventory and I don't need to craft any things in hand in the near future I just place them in some assembler or furnace. You even can place eg a chest near your normal coal belt, fill it with the coal from your inventory and let one inserter put the things out on the belt when there is free space on it.
Last edited by BurnHard on Sun May 18, 2014 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

Since inserters will never fill a machine up with its required recipe items, you can fill them up for it. I do this regularly when I upgrade from coal to solid fuel, having to pick up maybe 10 stacks of coal, I'll just stick them into my boilers until they burn it away.

For other items that have no use, (burner inserters, burner miners etc) you can stick them in a box and forget about it, or mouse over it and press the c key to shoot it. That will destroy the box and its contents.

Gregorovitch
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Gregorovitch »

@BurnHard: that qualifies as recycling - excellent idea.
@FishSandwich: that qualifies as "poof" - also most excellent

I just realised that inserters only pick up immediate requirements, so most units have got tons of space to stick stuff. That works too.

PharAway
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by PharAway »

FishSandwich wrote:Since inserters will never fill a machine up with its required recipe items, you can fill them up for it. I do this regularly when I upgrade from coal to solid fuel, having to pick up maybe 10 stacks of coal, I'll just stick them into my boilers until they burn it away.

For other items that have no use, (burner inserters, burner miners etc) you can stick them in a box and forget about it, or mouse over it and press the c key to shoot it. That will destroy the box and its contents.

Fish you are a god send fine gentleman. I have a chest with the no use items you mentioned and was tired of looking at it. Target practice! :)

Also, my twitter handle is @PharAway05

Check us out on face book at Phar Away Gaming

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

PharAway wrote:
FishSandwich wrote:Since inserters will never fill a machine up with its required recipe items, you can fill them up for it. I do this regularly when I upgrade from coal to solid fuel, having to pick up maybe 10 stacks of coal, I'll just stick them into my boilers until they burn it away.

Fish you are a god send fine gentleman. I have a chest with the no use items you mentioned and was tired of looking at it. Target practice! :)
Haha, no problem. Just passing on my knowledge. :P

Apollysis
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Apollysis »

I had no idea about shooting junk to destroy it. Sooooo uselful, thank you.

Ric
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Ric »

Burn it! :twisted:
"To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, it's half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice the size it needs to be"

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “General discussion”