Finished the campaign, about to embark on a generated game

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
CobraA1
Inserter
Inserter

Finished the campaign, about to embark on a generated game

Post by CobraA1 »

Well, I just finished the campaign, and I'm about to start a new game via the map generator.

My primary goal with the campaign was usually to accomplish the goals set forth in the campaign, so I probably didn't really do everything optimally.

My new goal with the generated map is to have something I can play any time I want to play a game that's constructive. Sorta like I did with Transport Tycoon. Nothing super-difficult, but I'm not sure I want it to be trivial, so I think I want to keep enemies turned on.

I do like building, then later revisiting an area to optimize things, even completely rebuilding the area sometimes.

Probably going to go with an infinite map, since I never really want to run out of resources.

Anyhoo - any advice for somebody just starting a generated map instead of the campaign? What are good map generation settings? What resources should I be near, ideally?

Also, any advice for moving beyond the brute force strategy I basically used during the campaign? Tips on how to be more optimal, etc?

mUnky
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Finished the campaign, about to embark on a generated ga

Post by mUnky »

I made a map with default settings and it's way too easy... biter attacks are easily dealt with by turrets and such

Garm
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Garm »

I would suggest you to pick a theme you want to explore.

- build a specific complex only using limited tools.

- make huge factory with 0 pollution

- make as much pollution as possible

- go as big as possible

- or try making most compact factory around.

- add a ton of resources and fight against ridiculous levels of biters

- or make resources scarce and try surviving with nothing

OuchThatStings
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by OuchThatStings »

The best thing about doing a random map is you can do whatever you like really.

While the generated maps do have a set goal to research and build a rocket defense, I don't plan on doing this. For me it's more fun to build and expand as far as I can or until I get bored of it. Right now I have a large base mostly dedicated to research. I've already claimed a nearby iron vein and hooked up a rail system to bring the ore back. Once I have everything I want researched I'll convert it to a general production facility and begin building outposts with train stations at major mining spots for future resources. All while slaughtering as many bitters as I can.

I guess you could say I play this game more like transport tycoon. But with aliens to kill.

sciencemile
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by sciencemile »

I like playing on Peaceful because I'm not very good at good base defense. Maybe once I get more confident at being able to lay down mental templates of production lines instead of having to think for 30 minutes about it I'll try playing non-peaceful.

Good luck :)

Return to “General discussion”