Idle curiosity about concrete

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
GlassDeviant
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Idle curiosity about concrete

Post by GlassDeviant »

Why does concrete have so many prerequisites? It's an ancient technology that goes back to Rome at the very least, yet you need Steel Processing, Oil Processing, Automation, Electronics, Advanced Material Processing, Plastics, Advanced Electronics and Advanced Material Processing 2 to research it. Oddly enough to make it all you need are Stone Bricks as aggregate, Iron Ore as a pozzelan and Water. I could see if some actual product of any of those technologies were being used, such as Lubricant to represent the hydraulic fluid used in some modern forms of concrete, Plastic as a superplasticizer and for rheology, or something else but I just don't see where the prerequisites really fit as it stands.

Or is this just one of those artifical constraints to prevent its use before a certain point is reached in the game progress?
- GD

Sorry if my posts are becoming difficult to read, my typing ability is rapidly deteriorating due to a nerve disorder. I try to clean them up before posting but don't always get every last typo.

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Idle curiosity about concrete

Post by daniel34 »

Kovarex (lead developer) thinks the same way:
FFF #160 wrote:Finding 3 - the most needed changes
  • Concrete shouldn't be blue science (green only)
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

GlassDeviant
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by GlassDeviant »

GMTA of course (hehe)
- GD

Sorry if my posts are becoming difficult to read, my typing ability is rapidly deteriorating due to a nerve disorder. I try to clean them up before posting but don't always get every last typo.

Frightning
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Frightning »

Yon don't need blue science to make Concrete, or Oil processing research for that matter. You can research it without those, and making it only takes an assem2, some pipes from an offshore pump to said assem for water, and some iron ore and stone bricks.

GlassDeviant
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by GlassDeviant »

Oh really?

I see Oil Processing, perhaps your eyes work differently.

This is in a game in-progress right now, on version 0.14.9. Yes, I need to update to 0.14.15, but it's not all that old. Perhaps you have a newer version, though from the FF post it seems a change to the prerequisites for researching concrete is not expected until 0.15, or you are using a mod that changes the prerequisites for concrete?
- GD

Frightning
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Frightning »

GlassDeviant wrote:Oh really?

I see Oil Processing, perhaps your eyes work differently.

This is in a game in-progress right now, on version 0.14.9. Yes, I need to update to 0.14.15, but it's not all that old. Perhaps you have a newer version, though from the FF post it seems a change to the prerequisites for researching concrete is not expected until 0.15, or you are using a mod that changes the prerequisites for concrete?
I was remembering the 0.12 days where Electric Furnace research only required Steel Furnace research. I see I was mistaken on the Oil Processing research. It does not, however, actually require you to make any oil processing buildings to research Concrete or produce it (and in some of my saves I've been making Concrete before I even had any oil coming in).

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

Exactly, so the point is why do you need to research oil for it in the first place? =P
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

Return to “General discussion”