Factorio is going to be big some day.

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
iOverpowered
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Factorio is going to be big some day.

Post by iOverpowered »

Now, this may not be a great place to post this, as it is the Factorio forums, but damn, Factorio will be big.

It feels like when Minecraft got the initial push that drove sales up the wall.

For last 5ish days or so, Ive had the Factorio website as a pinned tab in my browser, and i refresh the tab about once a day and see that another ~1000 have been made in the past day. Im proud to say that i was one of the people who bought Factorio before Sips, NorthernLion, or Quill18 played the game on YouTube. Im so glad that a friend of mine told me about this game. The only issue is now we never talk because he kind of fell out of the Factorio Fever while i am hopelessly stuck loving the game. Its all i talk about with him and he is kind of bored with me now :p

Thoughts? What do you guys think? Do you think that YouTubers will cover it a bit and then sales will slow around 50k, or do you think that it will snowball? Maybe Factorio becomes the next
"You cant make a Factorio YouTube channel, everyone does that!"

Aarkreinsil
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Factorio is going to be big some day.

Post by Aarkreinsil »

Not even 2 weeks ago Factorio had ~10.000 sales, now it's up to over 16000 in that little time. Now that credit and debit cards are accepted for a few days, sales have apparently spiked again.
I just hope that Factorio reaches critical mass not too early, so the wave of hype carries over to Steam Greenlight/Early Access and doesn't die off before the arrival of multiplayer :?

iOverpowered
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by iOverpowered »

Aarkreinsil wrote:Not even 2 weeks ago Factorio had ~10.000 sales, now it's up to over 16000 in that little time. Now that credit and debit cards are accepted for a few days, sales have apparently spiked again.
I just hope that Factorio reaches critical mass not too early, so the wave of hype carries over to Steam Greenlight/Early Access and doesn't die off before the arrival of multiplayer :?
I think its multiple things, i forgot that they added that addition, though i know paypal lets you pay with debit/credit as a 'guest'

I think its a mix between all the YouTubers covering it, and also the addition of the direct debit card transactions.

BenWo
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by BenWo »

Newbie here, I only found the game thanks to Sips. I feel like I'm late to a cool party!

I hope you're right that Factorio will be big one day, but it's certainly looking pretty good for the moment. I've only played about 2 hours (finished up the demo with lots of over complicated setups) but man I am hooked!

GewaltSam
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GewaltSam »

Don't forget the trailer. I came to Factorio after Rock, Paper, Shotgun posted a news about the new trailer. I loved it the instant i saw it :D

RMJ
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by RMJ »

Sometimes small is good :) but dont get me wrong i hope it sells well so he get some justified money and more motivation to continuing the game development far into the future.

I just think say with minecraft, something was lots when it went like super super mainstream. Not that its a bad game, its definitely not. Or maybe its just something special about being part of a tiny community, before all the trolls, haters and kids come about.

GewaltSam
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GewaltSam »

Well, I don't think that kind of game will see THAT many trolls and haters as other titles, but that's just a guess... Every community has some black sheeps sooner or later, but there are kinds of games that pull them in like flies... I hope we won't see that here, but I am optimistic in that regard :) Saw some great communities too, like most of the people who played Monaco. Starbound also has a mostly nice community, although there are some pretty naive and strange characters around... I think it often depends on the complexity of a title, and we don't need to be concerned in that regard :P But I may be wrong.

iOverpowered
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by iOverpowered »

GewaltSam wrote:Well, I don't think that kind of game will see THAT many trolls and haters as other titles, but that's just a guess... Every community has some black sheeps sooner or later, but there are kinds of games that pull them in like flies... I hope we won't see that here, but I am optimistic in that regard :) Saw some great communities too, like most of the people who played Monaco. Starbound also has a mostly nice community, although there are some pretty naive and strange characters around... I think it often depends on the complexity of a title, and we don't need to be concerned in that regard :P But I may be wrong.
I think with games like Factorio, where things get complex easily and you cant really just derp around, its far less likely that trolls will stick around because the people who troll dont have the attention span and lose interest in a complex game very quickly.

Edit: That sounds rude, i meant it more like the people who troll, wouldnt really enjoy this game, so they wouldnt bother sticking around.

BenWo
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by BenWo »

iOverpowered wrote:I think with games like Factorio, where things get complex easily and you cant really just derp around, its far less likely that trolls will stick around because the people who troll dont have the attention span and lose interest in a complex game very quickly.

Edit: That sounds rude, i meant it more like the people who troll, wouldnt really enjoy this game, so they wouldnt bother sticking around.
Agreed, trolls are idiots, and idiots don't play Factorio. ;)

iOverpowered
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by iOverpowered »

BenWo wrote:
iOverpowered wrote:I think with games like Factorio, where things get complex easily and you cant really just derp around, its far less likely that trolls will stick around because the people who troll dont have the attention span and lose interest in a complex game very quickly.

That is a concise way to put how i feel. I just dont want anyone to feel like we're calling them an idiot if they disagree with someone. I very much so love the community here, i think we have a good thing going!

Darthlawsuit
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Darthlawsuit »

BenWo wrote:

I am one of the original kickstarter funders and I am an avid internet troll. So if "Troll == idiot" and "Self == Troll" as well as "Self == Kickstarter_funder" and "self == Factorio_Player" then that means that idiots do play factorio and that I was an idiot funding the kickstarter. However had I not funded the kickstarter then this game may have not have been created so that non-idiots such as yourself could play this game. Many would also say giving a developer money before they even have a finished game is idiotic. So that means that this game has been funded and supported by trolls and idiots. You only bought this game once us idiots and trolls gave our money to the developer to get it far enough along that it could be considered a "playable game". Us idiots and trolls have been here since the start, you just now joined the party.

Real trolls love overly complicated games as well as anything complicated.

P.S. This game is already big, its just being kept under wraps right now. Once it hits steam it is going to burst the boilers and bring a flood of new players into this game. Once multiplayer comes out we will drag all of our friends into the game as well. This game was developed to be a game that the game maker wanted to play, all the best games were made with that in mind. Simcity was big because it was something new, I would say factorio is the first of its kind and will have a similar effect. I could see a factorio 2, or expansions, once this game is finished.

BenWo
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by BenWo »

Darthlawsuit wrote:I am one of the original kickstarter funders and I am an avid internet troll. So if "Troll == idiot" and "Self == Troll" as well as "Self == Kickstarter_funder" and "self == Factorio_Player" then that means that idiots do play factorio and that I was an idiot funding the kickstarter. However had I not funded the kickstarter then this game may have not have been created so that non-idiots such as yourself could play this game. Many would also say giving a developer money before they even have a finished game is idiotic. So that means that this game has been funded and supported by trolls and idiots. You only bought this game once us idiots and trolls gave our money to the developer to get it far enough along that it could be considered a "playable game". Us idiots and trolls have been here since the start, you just now joined the party.

Real trolls love overly complicated games as well as anything complicated.

P.S. This game is already big, its just being kept under wraps right now. Once it hits steam it is going to burst the boilers and bring a flood of new players into this game. Once multiplayer comes out we will drag all of our friends into the game as well. This game was developed to be a game that the game maker wanted to play, all the best games were made with that in mind. Simcity was big because it was something new, I would say factorio is the first of its kind and will have a similar effect. I could see a factorio 2, or expansions, once this game is finished.
Troll status confirmed, the game never appeared on kickstarter! And no need to rub it in about my being late to the party, I already feel like the last year of my life was a complete waste! :(

But in seriousness, well played... :mrgreen:

Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Drury »

GewaltSam wrote:Well, I don't think that kind of game will see THAT many trolls and haters as other titles, but that's just a guess... Every community has some black sheeps sooner or later, but there are kinds of games that pull them in like flies... I hope we won't see that here, but I am optimistic in that regard :) Saw some great communities too, like most of the people who played Monaco. Starbound also has a mostly nice community, although there are some pretty naive and strange characters around... I think it often depends on the complexity of a title, and we don't need to be concerned in that regard :P But I may be wrong.
I'd say it really comes down to gameplay and graphics. Minecraft is a simple game, not hard to figure out, with simple cheerful graphics, so it attracts younger audience. Games like OpenTTD and Dwarf Fortress though, have mostly mature audience, due to their somewhat outdated visuals and complex gameplay. I'd say that, in a way, Factorio is from the same bag. No offense to Albert or the devs, but the game really has that late 90's vibe to it with the 3D-based spritework - in fact, I'd say this is what attracts adults who used to play games like Command and Conquer and the old Fallouts the most. The game's also somewhat slow-paced, so the kids get bored before they even get to the automation part.

Then there are those weird kids who aren't idiots and can appreciate a good game, those are welcome too :)

CobraA1
Inserter
Inserter

Post by CobraA1 »

Drury wrote:
I'd say it really comes down to gameplay and graphics. Minecraft is a simple game, not hard to figure out, with simple cheerful graphics, so it attracts younger audience. Games like OpenTTD and Dwarf Fortress though, have mostly mature audience, due to their somewhat outdated visuals and complex gameplay. I'd say that, in a way, Factorio is from the same bag. No offense to Albert or the devs, but the game really has that late 90's vibe to it with the 3D-based spritework - in fact, I'd say this is what attracts adults who used to play games like Command and Conquer and the old Fallouts the most. The game's also somewhat slow-paced, so the kids get bored before they even get to the automation part.

Then there are those weird kids who aren't idiots and can appreciate a good game, those are welcome too :)
I'd have to agree. This game very much reminds me of a cross between Command and Conquer ('90s version) and Transport Tycoon, and the complexity is along those lines. Those are the reasons why I was drawn to it :). Very big fan of TT/TTD/TTDPatch/OpenTTD :D . I don't think it'll become as popular as Minecraft because of its complexity. But I don't think that's a bad thing. It plays very well for what it is.

iOverpowered
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by iOverpowered »

CobraA1 wrote: I'd have to agree. This game very much reminds me of a cross between Command and Conquer ('90s version) and Transport Tycoon, and the complexity is along those lines. Those are the reasons why I was drawn to it :). Very big fan of TT/TTD/TTDPatch/OpenTTD :D . I don't think it'll become as popular as Minecraft because of its complexity. But I don't think that's a bad thing. It plays very well for what it is.
I dont know about being as popular as Minecraft, but i do know that the sales for Factorio have doubled in the last few weeks. It is snowballing. Factorio is going to be huge before we know it!

Return to “General discussion”