Where is a terrain segmentation

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
WyvernX3
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Where is a terrain segmentation

Post by WyvernX3 »

Hello guys,

After updating to latest stable (0.13) or experimental i saw that there is NO Terrain Segmentation,
when i tried creating world then it looks horrible without changing how big bimes will be ?

is there anything i can do about that ??

TheTom
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Where is a terrain segmentation

Post by TheTom »

What are you talking about? As in: "latest" seems to be one of the QUITE old outdated versions where this was a bug... What exact versions do you try?

bigyihsuan
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by bigyihsuan »

Update to the latest version of 0.13.

0.13 for a while had a "broken" terrain generator, with terrain segmentation being pretty broken.

I recommend upgrading to 0.14. It's pretty stable at the moment, with the terrain segmentation being fixed, and a better multiplayer, too.

WyvernX3
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by WyvernX3 »

TheTom wrote:What are you talking about? As in: "latest" seems to be one of the QUITE old outdated versions where this was a bug... What exact versions do you try?
Exact version is 0.13.20
here is screenshot.

bug maybe or . . . ?
Attachments
20160911170912_1.jpg
20160911170912_1.jpg (963.84 KiB) Viewed 4179 times

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

There was a bug in early 0.13 versions when setting terrain segmentation to low. The fix was to remove the option to do that. :P

WyvernX3
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by WyvernX3 »

DaveMcW wrote:There was a bug in early 0.13 versions when setting terrain segmentation to low. The fix was to remove the option to do that. :P
so this means we no longer need that or is the world generation generating terrain segmentation on it's own ?
Or is there some new World generation overhaul going on in future ?

Xeteth
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Xeteth »

WyvernX3 wrote:
DaveMcW wrote:There was a bug in early 0.13 versions when setting terrain segmentation to low. The fix was to remove the option to do that. :P
so this means we no longer need that or is the world generation generating terrain segmentation on it's own ?
Or is there some new World generation overhaul going on in future ?
The terrain segmentation was removed and now everyone actually has the exact same map (apart from location of resources). The seed now defines where exactly you spawn on this large map. See this thread for further details - viewtopic.php?f=5&t=31083

Sephrat
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Sephrat »

Xeteth wrote:The terrain segmentation was removed and now everyone actually has the exact same map (apart from location of resources). The seed now defines where exactly you spawn on this large map. See this thread for further details - viewtopic.php?f=5&t=31083
It has always been like that, as said in the topic you referred to:
Klonan wrote:As a clarification: This generation is how factorio has always worked, and isn't a bug.
As to OP's issue: maybe a screenshot of your map (I can only see your map generation settings) would help us understand your point of view. People don't complain much about it since it was broken in 0.13 then fixed in 0.13.13-ish. I believe map generation is quite polished now and I can't remember reading anything about an overhaul from the developers.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Sephrat wrote:
Xeteth wrote:The terrain segmentation was removed and now everyone actually has the exact same map (apart from location of resources). The seed now defines where exactly you spawn on this large map. See this thread for further details - viewtopic.php?f=5&t=31083
It has always been like that, as said in the topic you referred to:
Klonan wrote:As a clarification: This generation is how factorio has always worked, and isn't a bug.
As to OP's issue: maybe a screenshot of your map (I can only see your map generation settings) would help us understand your point of view. People don't complain much about it since it was broken in 0.13 then fixed in 0.13.13-ish. I believe map generation is quite polished now and I can't remember reading anything about an overhaul from the developers.
Basically terrain segmentation setting is gone.
It was useful to define how big monotonic areas you want for those who like huge deserts for example.

thereaverofdarkness
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by thereaverofdarkness »

This seems counter-productive. Probably the issue was due to the large modifier used, something like 16x or possibly even higher. When you set the terrain segmentation to very low, you can travel for over an hour before seeing the biome change once, yet with the default setting it'll change multiple times within just your own view distance. They should apply a 4x modifier to the default setting and then use 4x difference for each setting. Result: very low = 64x original biome size (still not even that large), high = same as normal before the change, very high = as high as you'd ever actually want it to be.

Return to “General discussion”