Interview of Michal Kovarik in CanardPC

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Rwn
Inserter
Inserter

Interview of Michal Kovarik in CanardPC

Post by Rwn »

Hi all,

The French videogame newspaper CanardPC published a short interview of Michal Kovarik along with its test of Factorio.
It's paper-only and in French, but here's a homemade translation for non-French speaking curious Factorio players.
(hope it's good enough, especially as it was probably translated from English to French by the journalist before...).
CPC: How did you get the idea to make a game like Factorio?
Michal Kovarik: It came to me with the Buildcraft mod for Minecraft. While playing it, I immediately understood that industrial automation could be a good gameplay support and better yet with the ideas I had. So I started to think about a concept, I did some schematics during my boring meetings at work and implemented it during nighttime and weekends. This is how the first prototype of Factorio was born. Most content was not planned initially, it was added progressively during the development process. We've played relentlessly with the prototype to find what we like most and what was missing to the game. And now it's public, many ideas are coming directly from players in the forums.

CPC: The graphical style changed a lot since your first alpha version one year ago. Are you now satisfied with Factorio's look?
MK: Finding a graphical style was very hard at first, because we had no idea what the game should look like. But after hours of discussions, tests, mistakes and efforts from Albert, our artist, we finally found what we liked. Of course, the graphics changed a lot, but we are now satisfied with the result.

CPC: Are you finalizing the game, or should we expect new major features in the new updates?
MK: We want to avoid making a too complex game, so the current content reflects everything that's going to be included in the final version. We hope to deliver it in summer 2015. We now have to work on multiplayer, to polish a ton of small things, to extend modding capabilities. And probably also rework combat and interactions with aliens in order to add more diversity. Depending on the community's interest, we could perfectly continue to enhance the game once it is released, like what was done on Minecraft.

Note to Michal Kovarik: the first sentence in the last answer was not very clear to me (in the French version); does it really mean that all planned features in the final version are already in the game?

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Interview of Michal Kovarik in CanardPC

Post by kovarex »

Michal Kovařík, that is me :)
I was told it will be released on 1. april :)
Yes, apart the things said (multiplayer, combat rework, alien interactions), the main concepts for the 1.0 are in place.
Keep in mind that:
  • There are TONS and TONS of smaller things we need to finish and polish, better to have smaller game that is finished than large buggy blob.
  • Obvious things like having better tiers of existing stuff (solars, accumulators turrets etc.) and extension of existing concepts (circuit network, logistic network) will be done.
  • No one is saying that we will stop with development when 1.0 is released, the 1.0 is meant to be finished game with all the areas covered and working well. If we feel that there is still demand for continuation and we don't loose our mind till then, we might continue, but the game will be neithter beta or alpha but finished game, that is being extended. There are lot of people who don't play unfinished games, and I understand it.

Rwn
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Interview of Michal Kovarik in CanardPC

Post by Rwn »

kovarex wrote:Michal Kovařík, that is me :)
I was told it will be released on 1. april :)
Yes, apart the things said (multiplayer, combat rework, alien interactions), the main concepts for the 1.0 are in place.
Keep in mind that:
  • There are TONS and TONS of smaller things we need to finish and polish, better to have smaller game that is finished than large buggy blob.
  • Obvious things like having better tiers of existing stuff (solars, accumulators turrets etc.) and extension of existing concepts (circuit network, logistic network) will be done.
  • No one is saying that we will stop with development when 1.0 is released, the 1.0 is meant to be finished game with all the areas covered and working well. If we feel that there is still demand for continuation and we don't loose our mind till then, we might continue, but the game will be neithter beta or alpha but finished game, that is being extended. There are lot of people who don't play unfinished games, and I understand it.
Yeah, the release was a bit early this time it seems ;)
Thanks for the additional information, although the initial wording was a bit ambiguous (but again, maybe a translation issue...), this makes a lot of sense!

Return to “General discussion”