Re-Enable Achievements...

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
AutoMcD
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Re-Enable Achievements...

Post by AutoMcD »

I just deleted the achievements-modded.dat file. This seemed to "reset" things so that when I passed the marks on my vanilla save, it noticed, and informed steam of the "real" achievements.

xforce30164
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by xforce30164 »

I tried to do this on a multiplayer savegame but it gives me an error message when loading the save: it says "Error when opening C:\Users\-----\AppData\Roaming\Factorio\temp\currently-playing\locale\af\. for writing: Permission denied"

what can i do about this?

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

xforce30164 wrote:I tried to do this on a multiplayer savegame but it gives me an error message when loading the save: it says "Error when opening C:\Users\-----\AppData\Roaming\Factorio\temp\currently-playing\locale\af\. for writing: Permission denied"

what can i do about this?
I had the same problem a few times (strangely not on all saves), but only if I zipped the save afterwards. If you keep it extracted, you can then use Factorio to load it and save it and it will zip it up correctly.
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

MasterPawner
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by MasterPawner »

Has this been fixed ???
Tried a couple of saves with no resultsss....
Attachments
><'
><'
factorio.jpg (474.37 KiB) Viewed 15081 times

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

Well, "fixing" this would mean that hex editing the bit is no longer possible...
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

mrhobby
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by mrhobby »

Still working.
Try searching for another occurrence of that offset

Ruben
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Ruben »

MasterPawner wrote:Has this been fixed ???
Tried a couple of saves with no resultsss....
i had it to(V 1.14.20),
first close the game fully, then change, and start factorio again.
hope it works!

zytukin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by zytukin »

Just throwing it out there, but there *is* a way to mod the game without disabling steam achievements.

Just do it the old fashioned way:
Edit the games files in the install directory.

You'll have to redo it any time the game is updated as well.

friends99
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by friends99 »

Hi daniel, I know this is a bit late, but even with your detailed instructions, I have been unable to fix my save. My save looks a lot of MasterPawners save and I cannot find that nice 01 bit after length 81. Any chance you could help?
Thanks,
Friends99

Note: This is a modded multiplayer game with all of bob's mods, long reach, clock, and autofill.
Attachments
level.zip
(8.83 MiB) Downloaded 196 times

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

friends99 wrote:Hi daniel, I know this is a bit late, but even with your detailed instructions, I have been unable to fix my save. My save looks a lot of MasterPawners save and I cannot find that nice 01 bit after length 81. Any chance you could help?
In general, if the first string found is not the correct one (no 01 at the 81st position) just press the F3 key and it will jump to the next occurrence. In your level.dat there are 3 and the last one is the correct one (I assume because it has the 01, but can't test it since I only have the level.dat file and not the whole save).

Because you mentioned mods: this method will only clear the "console commands used" flag, you won't be able to get Steam achievements with it. Only local (modded) achievements will be enabled again.

Kane
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kane »

Thanks for this. I will be using this in 15 for sure. I like to have my friends and I on different teams, etc. I use commands for this but I always get punished thanks to the developers wanting to ban something that is beyond so easy to cheat for. For us who play legit get punished go figure :)

danielsamuels
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by danielsamuels »

I'm not sure this is working any more. I've just tried to re-enable the achievements on my server map (modded), but it didn't seem to work.

Hex editor:

In-game:

gelliboop
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by gelliboop »

For me in v0.15.2 was +58h from "nauvis" (inclusive)

The following bits around it seemed to be static (tested 2 consecutive saves):
8D 01 00 01 00 00 00 >01< 01 01 00 00 00 01

If this is not the right one for you, just try changing the other 01s before the bit that seems to be a dump of the chat.
You can easily test your changes by just extracting the savegame zip file; it loads from loose folders, too. Re-zipping with 7zip also worked just fine.

(already fixed in this pic)

Shame you have to do waste your time with this shit just to get rid of alien expansion annoyance. I mean, we now have the option to disable it at map generation anyway...

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

gelliboop wrote:For me in v0.15.2 was +58h from "nauvis" (inclusive)

The following bits around it seemed to be static (tested 2 consecutive saves):
8D 01 00 01 00 00 00 >01< 01 01 00 00 00 01

If this is not the right one for you, just try changing the other 01s before the bit that seems to be a dump of the chat.
You can easily test your changes by just extracting the savegame zip file; it loads from loose folders, too. Re-zipping with 7zip also worked just fine.

(already fixed in this pic)

Shame you have to do waste your time with this shit just to get rid of alien expansion annoyance. I mean, we now have the option to disable it at map generation anyway...
Thanks, I just had a case where it was nowhere near nauvis but your analysis helped me find it quickly nonetheless. In your screenshot you can see that nauvis is exactly 10h (1 line) before my 6A D8 40 hex-string, so the distance from my string to the byte is 48h. In my case the area around nauvis was mostly 00s, but I found the byte using the hex-string and 48h offset. However the distance between nauvis and my string was 812h.
This was with a 0.15.5 savegame.

Kane
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kane »

Does anyone know if there is a way to force a scenario to work? I'm playing the PvP one and I sadly get a scenario error.

Haggisman
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Haggisman »

Just got this working again thanks to the guides in this thread :)

Another thing I noticed, there is a hex-string of 16 characters which is repeated twice (sorry, not sure of the proper terminology!) a line or 2 after the 6A D8 40 hex-string. In gelliboop's example it is:

6B 6D 1C CE 5F 6C 89 C0 19 6E F4 A0 92 80 80 40

Here is the extract from my file:

In my case it is:

01 14 EA CE B5 D6 BF C0 08 11 E3 0D FF F3 C1 C0

It appears in both cases, the bit which needs to be changed is the 9th character after the second instance of the repeated string - highlighted in red on my screenshot.

Edit: this appears a couple of lines above the chat log, right near the end of the file

blameTheSun
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by blameTheSun »

I've confirmed that changing the value from 01 to 00 still works on 0.15.9.

If you have trouble finding the correct byte, here's what worked for me.

On 2 save files, that I tested it, the 01 byte that denotes disabled achievements, was at 49 (in hex) length starting from the 6A D8 40 sequence.

As others mentioned, it looks like this block is very close to chat history. What I did, I typed "abrakadabra" in chat, and then searched for that text.

Each chat message appears to be 02 followed by 4 byte length of the message(in hex, little endian). For instance in the first save, the text "Cannot execute command. ..." has length 72 characters, which is 48 00 00 00 in hex (underlined in blue).
In both saves, there was a block of 62 (in hex) length, that starts with 6A D8 40 and then is followed by the chat messages, and this block is the one that has the achievements disabled byte/bit.

also, the "nauvis" was only nearby in one of the saves, but not in the other.

btw. My "crime" was running the command that disables biters expansion, (and there is such an option in map generation settings).For some reason the option didn't get applied when I created the map (I did regenerate it few times, so maybe the setting got lost?...)

TheBauwssss
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by TheBauwssss »

daniel34 wrote:These are the steps to fix a save that has achievements disabled because of console commands, make sure you understand them before attempting them:
  1. Get a Hex editor if you don't have one yet (I recommend HxD, also has portable versions)
  2. Make a backup of the save file (.zip) somewhere else
  3. Extract the save (.zip-File) and delete the .zip file afterwards so only the extracted folder stays
  4. Open the level.dat file in the Hex editor
  5. Search for the hex string 6A D8 40 (in HxD go to Search --> Find, enter the string and select Hex-values as datatype)
  6. Starting from 6A select all hex bytes until the Length counter at the bottom says 81 (Note: this is a hexadecimal number, in decimal the length would be 129)
    The attachment factorio-hex.png is no longer available
  7. The last byte you selected (circled red in the picture) is the byte for "achievements disabled because of console commands" and is set to 01, select it and overwrite it with 00
  8. Save the file and close the Hex editor
  9. Open Factorio and load the save
  10. Make sure achievements are actually enabled (click on the achievements icon on the top right, disabled achievements are marked red and you can't track them)
  11. Save the game under a new name
Disclaimer: I have tested this on 6 different savegames and successfully enabled achievements again on all of them, but due to the way save data is stored there are probably some edge cases this method won't work on.
Make sure you understand the instructions above before attempting them and always make a backup. I am not responsible for any savegame corruption / data loss that may result from these instructions.
Now with the 0.15 update the location of the Disable Achievements bit has changed, the offset you need to look for is now 49 instead of 81.
HxD_2017-05-09_15-06-04.png
HxD_2017-05-09_15-06-04.png (42 KiB) Viewed 13923 times

BLuehasia
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by BLuehasia »

and the irony is mods don't disable achievements XD

Kane
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kane »

BLuehasia wrote:and the irony is mods don't disable achievements XD
Well they have their own achievements they don't publish to steam. But that is the thing most of us don't care about that we just enjoy however we play earning achievements. Devs on the other hand handled the system wrong by a long shot.

Return to “General discussion”