Careful of MODS!

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
zingo2
Inserter
Inserter

Careful of MODS!

Post by zingo2 »

Hey All!

Just a simple request- when you upload a mod to mod portal or whatever- add a note if its compatible with multiplayer.

There is a big difference if its SINGLE or MULTI player. Because in Multi player we have a Server or HOST and it reacts differently to mods.

I have had to delete at least 15 mods that i thoughed were cool but they broke the server with all kinds of errors.

If something is working very good on Single it doesn't mean it will work on a server.

Soo do please check your mods on both game modes before posting and when you post leave a small note on which modes it works.

MobRules
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Careful of MODS!

Post by MobRules »

I thought most mods needed to be on both the server and the client to work right in MP? Which would mean that no matter how well a mod works in multiplayer generally, it will still break the game when you're trying to use it on a server that doesn't have it? Otherwise, people on the same server would be playing the game by (possibly dramatically) different rules.

zingo2
Inserter
Inserter

Post by zingo2 »

Yes they do. Mod must be present on client/server/host to work.

But if you are a host or you have a dedicated server the rules differ. They differ for server as the server manages the mod.

Mod builders should take that in consideration. How the mod will be handled by the server, How it will be for the client and if the client is host. If there are errors in code or missing lines/ entities/ scripts etc- one of these instances will crash/desync- corrupt the game.

I wont name the faulting mods due to respect of the mod Authors to be able to successfully fix them but what i do ask: There are differences from 0.12.xx to 0.13.xx how mods work and you cant just copy paste a mod in 0.13.xx and hope its gonna work because it wont. To successfully update and create mods for 0.13.xx Refer to Mod section of this forum to see the changes and the problems already listed by knowledgeable modders and members.

Neemys
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Neemys »

As 0.13 is still new, modder don't really know their mod don't work in MP in 0.13 as they did in 0.12, have you consider noticing them whith the error that the mod throw ? So they know AND try to fix it, if no one report bug don't expect them to be fixed.
Want more space restriction ? Or maybe you want to be forced to use train for other thing than ore and oil ? Try Building Platform Mod !

vedrit
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vedrit »

Neemys wrote:As 0.13 is still new, modder don't really know their mod don't work in MP in 0.13 as they did in 0.12, have you consider noticing them whith the error that the mod throw ? So they know AND try to fix it, if no one report bug don't expect them to be fixed.
+10000 to this. I have a full time job, other projects, and personal matters to attend to. I don't have time to set up a dedicated server and test my mod to make sure it works in every scenario. If it doesn't work somewhere, notify and give an error log!

Return to “General discussion”