Thoughts on 0.13 Terrain Generation

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
torham
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Thoughts on 0.13 Terrain Generation

Post by torham »

have been doing some experiments with world gen.

This is LOW segmentation, all standard, game seed 5999.

This is HIGH segmentation, again game seed 5999

The land is actually less fragmented with the very high fragmentation option... something is not right here.

Yehn
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Yehn »

Is this being fixed..?

Kelderek
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kelderek »

@torham, @SQLek:

The images you guys are showing are really just the starting area and a small amount around it. I'm not sure that is a fair representation of what the world generator is giving you for segmentation unless you are able to see a much larger region.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

My thoughts after walking over this: The player needs the trust/believe, that the generator is really working.
How can they trust it, if everything they see is just a tiny, tiny bit of land around them?
It's stupid to compare it, but the biggest maps of other games I know can be compared with about 1/50 of Factorio maps.

If you don't find a good place, you cannot be sure, that it doesn't exist!

Indeed you can be very sure, that in each map such a place exists, but it is not the starting place. :)

In this sense: there is no problem with the map generator in general, but with the transparency/reliability of the map generator...
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

ssilk wrote:My thoughts after walking over this: The player needs the trust/believe, that the generator is really working.
How can they trust it, if everything they see is just a tiny, tiny bit of land around them?
It's stupid to compare it, but the biggest maps of other games I know can be compared with about 1/50 of Factorio maps.

Indeed you can be very sure, that in each map such a place exists, but it is not the starting place. :)

In this sense: there is no problem with the map generator in general, but with the transparency/reliability of the map generator...
People have shown big revealed maps also here. And if you have natives around your starting area then that is the only place you can set up shop. And no you can't be sure that the perfect place exists anywhere on the map, even if it would be infinite. You can definitly have an infinitly bad map. The map generator uses the same flawed algorithm and settings everywhere.

MrGrim
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MrGrim »

Not to discount complaints about resource spawning, but I do want to re-iterate that my intention opening this thread was to demonstrate the problems with the visual quality of the generated maps. Specifically, that terrain segmentation seems to always be very high.

Align
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Align »

ssilk wrote:In this sense: there is no problem with the map generator in general, but with the transparency/reliability of the map generator...
If the starting area has problems, the map generator has problems.

Kewlhotrod
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Kewlhotrod »

ssilk wrote:My thoughts after walking over this: The player needs the trust/believe, that the generator is really working.

I don't know how you can say this when the hole thread is about how dissatisfied they are on the generator rather if it works or not.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I'm sorry. I think that was a stupid post yesterday after 3 beer. If I could I would delete it. :roll:
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Did they change map generation?

Post by nuhll »

I just get dumb maps

- low starting resources

OR

- NO OIL???

OR

- useless, dumb water everywhere

or all together... if i set starting area none its like it was before patch, but ofc, you have 90218378912978318293789017891789398123 biters direct in your face.

Neotix
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Did they change map generation?

Post by Neotix »

Yes, in v.0.13 map generation was changed and right now it's not working as it should. Devs know about it and will improve it but now then fixing the crucial bugs. Install RSO mod to change generation method.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Merged into general topic about 0.13 map gen.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Xeteth
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Xeteth »

Would any of the devs be able to post an update on how things are going with this? I have chosen to wait until it is fixed to start my new megabase and don't want to risk running into issues with the terrain generation. No rush, I understand there are probably more pressing bugs to be squished at the moment and you have already done an amazing job of patching since the 0.13 release :)

Align
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Did they change map generation?

Post by Align »

Neotix wrote:Install RSO mod to change generation method.
RSO doesn't touch terrain generation, only resources

nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nuhll »

Any fix for it if we want to start from scratch?

Joefesok
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Joefesok »

nuhll wrote:Any fix for it if we want to start from scratch?
I'd suggest you start a new map in .12, give yourself god mode, then wander around for a very large area.

VDOgamez
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by VDOgamez »

One thing which I'm particularly frustrated with is that terrain segmentation now affects water differently. In 0.12 and earlier, when you set terrain segmentation to very high, and water to very high, it would create a sort of archipelago map, with lots of little islands everywhere, which was something I really enjoyed. Now, no matter what you set terrain segmentation to, the bodies of water tend to be more or less the same size, and I haven't found any combination of map settings that is good for creating islands.

TheTom
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by TheTom »

I think it is not so much that it changed algo wise as it seems there is a simple error that some of the parameters either are not handled in the UI or otherwise get bothered. I.e. a simple programming bug which makes sure that the actual code doing map generation never sees the parameters.

At least that would explain why some of the settings seem to change nothing. And I have a problem assuming that was totally untested.

Align
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Align »

Seems like it should be fixed in the next release!
cube wrote:I've made some tweaks to our map generator, a bug or two related to map segmentation and completely replaced how starting areas are generated. Let's see if it will make you happy :-) Moving to fixed for next version.
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=27521&start=20#p185959

Furan
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Furan »

Ok, let's rewind:
1) Why is there no map in the map editor?
2) What good are the options for zero size of ore patches? Custom map pre-generation? Ok.
3) But most importantly, why is there no longer the "no safe area" option?

(Shipwrecking) on the only one clear patch of land with all the resources within arms length? How lucky is that?

This is what was so awesome about this game! The staggering contrast between the pour soul castaway fighting to survive, trying to conceal the fragile seeds of intelligence and technology - and the planet dominating terraformer he'll become at the end!

Please, add the "Tiny/Run, Forrest, run" safe area (with a little bit of iron). Thank you.

Return to “General discussion”