Taking a screen shot of the Map (not the game world)

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
ixnorp
Inserter
Inserter

Taking a screen shot of the Map (not the game world)

Post by ixnorp »

Is it possible to take a screen shot of the game's Map? As in the one accessed by hitting M and not the normal game world? The reason that I want to do this in particular is that I want to generate several dozen maps and then compare them, but doing so using the built in screen shot command makes it very difficult to see oil as compared to the actual map where oil shows up as clusters of purple dots. So basically I want to increase the ease of seeing where resources are placed.

What I have been doing so far is the following:

I customized data/map-gen-settings.json to my liking based off the example file.

Created a number of save games via

Code: Select all

bin\x64\Factorio.exe --create saves/MapTest01
Then I load the save and do

Code: Select all

/c game.surfaces[1].always_day = true; game.player.force.chart(game.player.surface,{lefttop = {x = -800, y = -800}, rightbottom = {x = 800, y = 800}})
/c game.take_screenshot{resolution = {x = 5000, y = 5000}, zoom=0.1, path = "MapPreviews/MapTest01.png"}
This gives me some pretty good results though I think I could probably do better. I'm open to any sort of suggestions or corrections on my process. :)

Kelderek
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Taking a screen shot of the Map (not the game world)

Post by Kelderek »

Have you tried using the map editor? You can use the same map gen settings and try different seeds and then scroll around to view the map in detail. There is no fog of war in the editor so you can look at as much of the map as you want. Then once you have one you like you can copy the same map gen settings over and use them in a free play game.

ixnorp
Inserter
Inserter

Post by ixnorp »

Kelderek wrote:Have you tried using the map editor? You can use the same map gen settings and try different seeds and then scroll around to view the map in detail. There is no fog of war in the editor so you can look at as much of the map as you want.
This was what I was doing at first, but I got tired of waiting for it to generate chunks while scrolling around plus there's no access to the main map so it's more difficult to locate resources at a glance.

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

If your specific problem is oil, it might be easier to install a mod that makes oil patches more visible.

ixnorp
Inserter
Inserter

Post by ixnorp »

DaveMcW wrote:If your specific problem is oil, it might be easier to install a mod that makes oil patches more visible.
Do you have any suggestions for this in particular? I took a look over http://www.factoriomods.com/most-popular/category/oil and a brief Google search but didn't see anything outstanding for this purpose.

Return to “General discussion”