Rail junction examples?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
sparr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Rail junction examples?

Post by sparr »

I would appreciate if someone who is good with rails would post some example images to the wiki. They don't have to be big designs, just simple things like a Y and an X and a diamond and maybe a cloverleaf.

As someone new to rails, it's very odd to me that the curved tracks seem to require one tile of straight track for diagonal connections but not for orthogonal connections, and that the result is more of a rounded square than a circle. If that's accurate, some examples would be helpful. If it's not, even more so.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Rail junction examples?

Post by ssilk »

To be added here:

https://forums.factorio.com/wiki/inde ... mpositions

At https://forums.factorio.com/wiki/inde ... ay_network
There is also a link to a video which describes railways very well.

I keep waiting for the screenshot feature. :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

immibis
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by immibis »

sparr wrote: As someone new to rails, it's very odd to me that the curved tracks seem to require one tile of straight track for diagonal connections but not for orthogonal connections, and that the result is more of a rounded square than a circle. If that's accurate, some examples would be helpful. If it's not, even more so.
It seems to be a side effect of how everything is aligned to a grid. The diagonal tracks can't have diagonal ends, because then they wouldn't be aligned.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

The current curved tracks are most universal useable. If the tracks would be set by a computer and you just need to drag the rails, they can be set by a program and can look much more different. Think of real building of tracks: curved tracks aren't built in a factory; they always deliver straight, which are bowed where they wanted to put it in.

I would mean, this is possible within factorio, too. :)

Zourin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Zourin »

ssilk wrote:The current curved tracks are most universal useable. If the tracks would be set by a computer and you just need to drag the rails, they can be set by a program and can look much more different. Think of real building of tracks: curved tracks aren't built in a factory; they always deliver straight, which are bowed where they wanted to put it in.

I would mean, this is possible within factorio, too. :)

TBH, the rail recipe is a bit overly cumbersome. Curved sections cost the same material as 4 straight sections. It would be much easier to manage for curved sections to be made from 4 straight sections instead of consuming 4x the base materials.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

This is a very, very old issue, which proves my argument to true: there will be only one type of rail and the computer bends for you, if you place a whole track. But well, nobody really knows.

Return to “General discussion”