Good Rail Layout

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
TheSAguy
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Good Rail Layout

Post by TheSAguy »

I was wondering if anyone could please send me a save of a rail road setup that transports both Oil and Iron/Copper.

I've never used rail myself, rather going with long belts, but I'd like to give rail a go when 9.2 comes out.

I'd like to see how you handle the barrel loading and unloading, since you need to take the barrels back. (I'd like to take the empty barrels back on the train and not use bots to transport them.)

Thanks.

liq3
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Good Rail Layout

Post by liq3 »

Well, you could load up empty barrels on the train, take it to the oil rigs, unload the empty barrels (smart inserters?) while you fill it up with full barrels... And then do the reverse to unload the full barrels.

Zourin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Zourin »

bypasses are handy as well, especially when coordinating multiple trains along shared rails, and avoid bi-directional/shuttle trains when possible. Complex rail layouts with trains going backwards can be problematic.

TheSAguy
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by TheSAguy »

I agree with both you guys. I think I know how to do it in theory, but was hoping someone already did the heavy lifting so I could just copy what they did :)

From all the vids that I saw, trains look so complicated and belts are so simple.

In my next game I'm going to make resources very scares, that way, rail might be more viable than long belts.
It would really help trains if they added a tanker to transport oil.

syneris
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by syneris »

I have a train layout, but it might be too complex to help. It has 18 trains running and produces red, green, and blue science packs now. I only use logistic bots for blues and moving the packs to labs. I'm also using logistic bots for coal on my new 10 stop (+1 for me) refueling/idle station. I used a double wagon for oil just to keep it hassle-free.

It is not efficient or very pretty. It evolved as I progressed and I adapted it as I went. If you want, I'll post it up on my dropbox. I must warn you though, you are likely to play 'dodge the train' a lot.

Darthlawsuit
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Darthlawsuit »

Can't run it right now but a good way I found for railyards is:

Track->inserter->box->inserter->belt

My trains are 4 in length so I also have the back 2 sets of inserters run a belt that intersects the front two but puts materials on the opposite side.

LoSboccacc
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by LoSboccacc »

That is what I do as well, the inserter stack bonuses only work from container to container so i feed steel chest with belts and normal inserter, then discharge them in trains using the fast inserters.

I use different loading/unloading station si the operation happens on both sides, instead of having one side loading and the other unloading.

Makes everything easier to specialize stations in one item: you can easily name request-green-pack or provide-plastic or refuel-train etc.

Zourin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Zourin »

In the end, it may be best to have a wide open, expandable trainyard where you can run storage and cross-load trains for different outposts and factory needs. The amount of crossfeed needs is rediculous, just a refinery needs nearly twelve different wagons for goods >.<

TheSAguy
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by TheSAguy »

I'm still looking for a save game with a good rail system. Something that brings in at least two types of resources, preferably Oil and something else.

I'm in a very bitter heavy game,set to max, so need an optimal system :)

Thanks.

ludsoe
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by ludsoe »

If you want i can snap a couple screen shots of my current rail network for ya, but I don't think I can supply my save as i have mods. (Not involving the train network, but mods none the less)
Anyways if you want screenshots they are pretty self explanatory.

jeroon
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jeroon »

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5gxtcund13drbc7/serious61.zip is my factory, got quite a bit of rails and trains, transporting oil, copper and iron.

(It's affected by this bug, so your inventory might overspill a bit at the start https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =30&t=2722 )

TheSAguy
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by TheSAguy »

That's an impressive factory and rail network you have going there Jeroon.
Thanks for posting the save, I enjoyed poking around your setup.

Return to “General discussion”