favourite factorio feature?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Mia Rose
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

favourite factorio feature?

Post by Mia Rose »

So I really enjoy Factorio as many of you also probably do but what is your favourite feature that is present / not present in Factorio over other games?

One thing I really like is a lack of "food" or "sleep" requirements. I enjoy the game a lot more because of this because I feel like I'm playing the game as it was intended rather than having to spend ages collecting food or making food farms.

Another feature is the amount of keyboard shortcuts, even after 200hrs+ I'm still learning them all.

mngrif
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: favourite factorio feature?

Post by mngrif »

Favorite feature? Construction bots. I know of no other game that has something like this.

In the original indiegogo campaign, more survival aspects were proposed like sleep and food, but they haven't been expanded upon yet. I hope they don't, as it just gets in the way of building more.
My Silly Factorian Tricks
<_aD> OBSERVE SIGNAL ASPECT BEFORE CROSSING TRACK

Mia Rose
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Mia Rose »

mngrif wrote:more survival aspects were proposed like sleep and food, but they haven't been expanded upon yet. I hope they don't, as it just gets in the way of building more.
I think it should be like Subnautica where those are optional choices.

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by 5thHorseman »

I like how it's far easier to list the stuff that you CAN'T automate, than the stuff you CAN. I know that's basically saying "I like Factorio" but there it is :D

I found myself in all other sandboxy building games getting annoyed that I had to hand-build everything, or hand-feed ingredients into each furnace, or hand-repair my tools, or... the list goes on. In Factorio, it seems that every time I wish I could automate something, it turns out I can but just didn't know/realize it.

XBBX
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by XBBX »

More in general you can find things like this in other games but i like most pollution, automation and best thing is community

Smarty
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Smarty »

my favorite feature comes with 0.13

being able to drag-place underground belts/pipes

DedlySpyder
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DedlySpyder »

I love how every little QoL thing I can think if is in the game.

When you want to craft a complex item, it crafts all the intermediate items; the copying and pasting of recipes, logic conditions, filters, etc;

There are so many little hotkeys that I never knew of until I checked out the controls menu

Ohz
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Ohz »

Sounds maybe stupid, but the zoom out.

OpenTTD, Dwarf Fortress or Gnomoria is not smooth,
Most of RTS (dune2, red alert, warcraft II) there is not zoomout (little bit with openRA)
Prison Architect/Rimworld/Banished discovered later.

Without such zoom out, I would never replay again and again this game. Because imho, after discovering the game, the challenge goes rapidly to design/efficiency, and so, it's always cool to watch your steps from afar <3
I'm not english, sorry for my mistakes

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by 5thHorseman »

DedlySpyder wrote:I love how every little QoL thing I can think if is in the game.
Very much this. It seems really obvious that the devs really love playing this game and every time they can't do something they want to do, they code it in. And then we benefit :)

Killavirus
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Killavirus »

Mia Rose wrote: One thing I really like is a lack of "food" or "sleep" requirements

I dunno man, I played for 2 days straight and really needed to eat & sleep !!! :D
Addiction Thy Name be Factorio, FACTORIO IS NOT A LIE.

Wezz
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Wezz »

mngrif wrote:Favorite feature? Construction bots. I know of no other game that has something like this.
In Total / Planetary Annihilation and Supreme Commander you have bots but they are not automatic. In Forged Alliance you can have blueprints but the bots will only start the crafting if you order them. So not as automatic as in Factorio.

Ackos
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Ackos »

High quality mods, which give the game replayability.

starholme
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by starholme »

I think the game scale is my favourite feature. Nothing else I've played comes even close to handling the number of entities that factorio does. I came to factorio after playing heavily modded minecraft. In minecraft we found that it was very easy to cause slow updates if you built much of an automated factory. It helped massively to keep everything in just a few 'loaded' chunks all the time. Even then though, to get good performance we found you needed to stick to the mods that kept the number of entities lower. The world was huge, but felt empty. You couldn't really USE the space for anything.

Even a 'small' factorio base can be handling 10,000 items/minute. And it runs smooth. You start hitting performance issues on reasonable hardware when you get to 10,000 of one item per minute, but the total number of items is much higher. Plus thousands of belts, inserters, etc.

On the smaller side of things, the extensive shortcuts are wonderful. Grab a full stack/half stack/all the stacks of this type/everything in the chest? All an option. Drag and run to place objects? yup. Copy settings between machines/inserters/chests/trains? yup. Pick up from a furnace/assembler/whatever without opening the GUI? yup.

If they get something for searching the recipes, that will close the last gap that I miss from minecrafts NEI mod.

Xterminator
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xterminator »

Probably for me, it's just the ability to fully control your factory and production. It's surprising how many games have some silly RNG aspect even though it's supposed to be fully controlled by the player. I just like the fact that if there is a problem or lack of something, you can actually do something about it.
Image Image Image

Mangledpork
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Mangledpork »

mooklepticon
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by mooklepticon »

XBBX wrote:More in general you can find things like this in other games but i like most pollution, automation and best thing is community

Pollution. I've never run across it as a balancing element like this. I love it. The only other place I've seen something like this was in Sid Meier's Colonization where you would get yelled at by the Native Americans if you plowed/deforested too much.

Side note: I think efficiency 1 modules are overpowered.

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

Mod support, I think. It uses a normal programming language, anyone can look at any other mod and figure out how it works, and as such, it is pretty easy to get into modding and learn from other people.

Grid Based modular armor. While vanilla doesn't have many shape differences, the basics are there, and having various shapes makes setting that up kinda fun.

----
Dislike Liquid management and Pipes. Its extremely awkward compared to belts and inserters.
My Mods:
Modular Armor Revamp - V16
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Return to “General discussion”