Oil Mod for more Oil

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Skrillerman
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Oil Mod for more Oil

Post by Skrillerman »

Hello,

I am not very good at factorio and playing on my first map with 20 hour playtime.
I got some cool mods like Nuclear mod and Tanks for Bob.
My problem is that I am running out of oil even though I have several outposts with trains for oil :/

So i googled for some mods and one of them turns coal + water into oil but its from 2014 and I think it is outated .

Do you guys know any Mod which can solve my oil problem?

thank you and have a good day

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Oil Mod for more Oil

Post by Klonan »

This mod might help:
viewtopic.php?f=93&t=14699

Shokubai
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Shokubai »

I've been using Insane Resources for a while now as a "but I don't want my resources to run out" kind of solution. it gives you widely distributed resources but makes them all SUPER dense.

patmo98
Inserter
Inserter

Post by patmo98 »

Skrillerman wrote:Do you guys know any Mod which can solve my oil problem?
It's not mods, but here's some general advice I have for oil (Assuming default map gen):
*) Never abandon an oil well. 0.1/s is still better than nothing
*) Don't underestimate the value of the "small pump". If you use them properly, you can pump oil a long way, without the need for trains.
*) Never use "purple modules" on 0.1/s oil wells. A blue module will give you more oil for less power and less pollution, and you can't deplete a 0.1/s well any farther
*) Make sure you're processing oil using advanced processing. (Using water)
*) When you have to make solid fuel for the rocket, make it out of heavy oil
*) If you're using bob's mods, some of the advanced metal processing gives you sulfur dioxide. You can make that into sulfur if acid, to save on petrolium gas

And solid fuel:
*) Never make solid fuel (Except for the rocket) That stuff eats up oil (Solid fuel is nice when you have extra oil, but if you're making this topic, you clearly don't have enough)
*) Since you're not making solid fuel, you'll need to do something with your heavy and light oil. Make a few liquid tanks, and get advanced oil processing as soon as possible, so you can turn all of that heavy and light oil into petroleum gas.
*) If you find yourself running out of coal, you probably need more renewable power

Hannu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Hannu »

Solid fuel should be made from light oil. One solid fuel takes one light oil but two heavy oils or gases. If you have surplus heavy oil it is better to crack it to light oil and then make solid fuel. You get 0.75 solid fuel per one heavy oil. If you make solid fuel directly you get only 0.5.

Oil is no problem if you launch 1-2 rockets per hour. 50 oil wells with 2 speed 3 modules give at least 10 oil per second. It needs maybe 5-10 km track in normal settings but you can use most of it to transport other resources too. Use production modules in refineries and light -> gas cracking plants. And the most important, put 4 level 3 production modules in rocket silo. Then you need only 72 rocket parts to launch a rocket.

If you want just launch one rocket it may be waste of resources to make large amount of modules. But if you continue playing tens of hours they pay costs back and you can significantly reduce needed resources.

Skrillerman
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Skrillerman »

Thank you all for the answers :)

I have read a lot of times that you should never shut down a oil pump and put speed modules lvl 3 into them.
I did that to 6 Oil pumps and it wasnt worth at all. I got like 30 Oil every 1 minute or something.

Is it really worth or do i need like at least 50-100 Oil pumps ?! Because lvl 3 speed modules are ( for me at the moment) very short

wahming
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by wahming »

Skrillerman wrote:Thank you all for the answers :)

I have read a lot of times that you should never shut down a oil pump and put speed modules lvl 3 into them.
I did that to 6 Oil pumps and it wasnt worth at all. I got like 30 Oil every 1 minute or something.

Is it really worth or do i need like at least 50-100 Oil pumps ?! Because lvl 3 speed modules are ( for me at the moment) very short

It's a matter of quantity over quality. 6 speeded pumps is roughly equal to one low-medium richness oil well. The idea is that by slowly accumulating all the dried up wells, your minimum oil production slowly increases to the point that it is actually sufficient for your base consumption and you can stop expanding. Depending on your base size, that may take anywhere from 50 dry wells or more. A good idea would be to avoid single oil wells in the middle of nowhere, and only bother developing the patches that come in 5-10 wells.

Unoxxis
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Unoxxis »

It's not only about putting them in them, its also about putting speed3 around them using beacons. But this is even more expensive. And as wahming pointed out it is more that at some point it is possible to stop expanding the oil production, because you have a sufficient base oil generation. But this happens fairly late into the game, depending on how much oil-drain you have.

Skrillerman
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Skrillerman »

well thank you :)

Hannu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Hannu »

Skrillerman wrote: I have read a lot of times that you should never shut down a oil pump and put speed modules lvl 3 into them.

It depends what you want to do. Do you want to get one rocket as soon as possible or do you have some objective how many rockets you want to send per hour. Do you use oil as fuel?

If you are going to play several tens of hours and launch many rockets, I suggest that you should make modules. It take couple of hours but there are always things to do meanwhile. For example explore new oil fields and take them into production. They pay large costs back during the long game. But if you want to just send one rocket as soon as possible, modules and large oil fields may not have enough time to give back what they cost. At least you should calculate accurately costs and returns.

I do not know any mod which can add oil to existing game but if you do not feel commands too cheaty:
viewtopic.php?t=15494

BULIGO
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by BULIGO »

For some time now I am using Klonan's Bergius Process: first stage is to liquefy coal, then second phase you use a special recipe in your refineries (regular refinery, only the recipe is new) and you use some heavy oil plus the liquefied coal and get the normal heavy oil+light oil+ petroleum gas. Much better than sucking up crude oil fumes from depleted jacks. Also, it feels soo rewarding to obliter..er..liberate a phat coal patch and grab all "teh coal' for the Bergius magic :)

taiiat
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by taiiat »

a different sort of answer, but if you're looking for Mods a 'purely as intended experience' is not all you're interested in so:

Code: Select all

/c local surface = game.local_player.surface;
for y=-0,0 do
 for x=-0,0 do
  surface.create_entity({name="crude-oil", amount=999999999, position={game.local_player.position.x+x, game.local_player.position.y+y}})
 end
end
if you use this Command script, you'll generate a single patch of Oil under your feet. the 'amount' value can be set to whatever to control how rich it is.
supports up to 9 digits.

trying to spawn more than one patch at a time won't be useful though, since you can't mine Oil like you can Ores, you need to space them out.

but ofcourse, expanding your Pumpjacks to hit more naturally ocurring zones is the recommended for intended usage, as aforementioned since they cannot deplete, just expand further and further to trickle more Oil in at a time. eventually you have enough for whatever you want to do and much more.

Stevepunk
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Stevepunk »

You may have figured this out already but if you are full on a particular oil type then the refinery will shut down completely. The best tip is to use all oil types and make sure none are backing up as this will cause a shutdown.

Use level 3 speed on the pumpjacks to get more crude oil then production 3 in the refineries to make more refined oil products from the same amount of crude.

You can also convert heavy into light and light into the gas which is most commonly used.
Again you can use production modules to get more from less.

Return to “General discussion”