Dont understand the reasoning behind production module

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Hogweed
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Dont understand the reasoning behind production module

Post by Hogweed »

I was looking at the stats for the Production modules, and I don't think they really make sense. The purpose of increasing production should mean a boost to both the production and the speed! I can understand the increase in electricity and pollution, but speed should either be the same or a very slight increase, like 5%.

With 2 production level 2 modules, you get a 40% decrease in speed????!!!! :!: With only a 12% production bonus?? :?: That significantly decreases the amount of the production bonus you get, and is very anti-productive! :D I think they should increase the electric and pollution, and remove the speed penalty, and even give a small speed bonus. Making things slower is just not in the thinking of increasing production, and a speed penalty that high almost makes it not worth using them.

haunted_1
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Dont understand the reasoning behind production module

Post by haunted_1 »

There was no speed penelty in 0.8 and this thing was really overpowered and i almost used it in every machine. The modul is not about the increase of speed it's more like you save alot of ressources. Especially in 0.8 where you could put 4 tier 3 modules in an AM3 to make high end products very very cheap in terms of ressources. The penelty is fine now but slightly too high imo.

sparr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sparr »

If you want more products per second, use a speed module.

If you want more products per input resource, use a production module.

If you want more products per watt of energy, use an efficiency module.

Hogweed
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Hogweed »

sparr wrote:If you want more products per second, use a speed module.

If you want more products per input resource, use a production module.

If you want more products per watt of energy, use an efficiency module.

Ahh - I think I see, they go slower but produce more per resources. Yes, I think that makes sense. I think they are best used for oil since that always runs out too quick.

Thanks for making that clear!

Zourin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Zourin »

The only problem is that the Production module is double penalized when it comes to pollution output, and in both cases, the scaling is severe.

Extensive use of Production, or even speed, modules means not only needing more power plants, but also risks rapidly mutating biters to insane levels.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

That's, where beacons come into play.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

syneris
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by syneris »

Considering that all resources are essentially endless...
All productivity does is delay the inevitable. You are going to run out and need to seek another spot to expand to at some point if you want to play a continuous game.

ficolas
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ficolas »

But imagine something expensive, wich you arent giving enough resources for the machine to be working full-time, you add a prod module, and you are gaining resources and a bit of time.
Doesnt happen much in the game atm but I have used them for express transport belts that can be a big resource sink (not much but still)

Hogweed
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Hogweed »

Zourin wrote:The only problem is that the Production module is double penalized when it comes to pollution output, and in both cases, the scaling is severe.

Extensive use of Production, or even speed, modules means not only needing more power plants, but also risks rapidly mutating biters to insane levels.

Yes, I agree with that. I use production modules in oil, advanced circuits, the defender (with some speed too) and distractor capsules, and the alien T4 with the labs when I am at that point. I compensate the electric and pollution by using efficiency modules in everything else. The efficiency modules balance both, as using much less power reduces pollution, and also to help with the robotports, which are extreme!. With the Alien T4, I only put the production modules in when I am actually converting them, as 1 Level 3 assembler with 4 level 2 Prod mods requires a huge electric output. As soon as they convert to T4 I replace them with 4 efficiency mods. I have not yet tried the level 3 modules.

I think I am going to add them to coal as well if it allows that, since So much is needed to keep the power plants going. I also use the solid fuels for that, but they can suddenly run out and I had my whole base shut down because of that. I am learning to expand to get more, but I think minimizing coal usage is a good strategy. ( I use a lot of wood in the beginning too!)

If anyone knows any other best uses for production modules I would like to try it.

Return to “General discussion”