We're being invaded!

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
wahming
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

We're being invaded!

Post by wahming »

Invasion!
Invasion!
Spam.jpg (188.92 KiB) Viewed 3905 times
Anybody find it ironic that the Factorio forums are being invaded by people looking to hawk the products of their own factories?

FORTHELOLZ
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: We're being invaded!

Post by FORTHELOLZ »

get the tank

wahming
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by wahming »

FORTHELOLZ wrote:get the tank
From random spammy Chinese online sellers? What, it falls apart after you hit a speedbump?

Mia Rose
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Mia Rose »

The bots are invading. D:

OdinYggd
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by OdinYggd »

I reported a couple such threads earlier and they were cleaned up fairly quickly. Hopefully the moderators aren't all asleep at once.

Seems like better anti-spambot measures are needed.

You know, that could be a fun mod. Adding 'spambots' to the game, that just fly around pretending to be helpful while really getting in the way. Make it so that normal bots become spambots at random, giving them a sort of half-life.

With 0.13's changes to the roboport it should be possible to capture and filter out these rogues, but then what do you do with them besides using them for target practice?
In my mind, Steam is the eternal king of the railway.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

OK everything is cleaned. There is indeed a part of the night where most if not all the mods are sleeping, sorry for the inconvenience.
Advised behaviour is to report one spam (at least one from each spamming acount you stumble upon), and ignore it : it will be deleted quickly.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

sillyfly
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sillyfly »

Koub wrote:There is indeed a part of the night where most if not all the mods are sleeping, sorry for the inconvenience.
Perhaps you should be looking at finding mods in other parts of the world, then... From what I can tell most mods are European, so maybe some Americans or East Asians are called for? (By geographic location, of course)

Hamster
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Hamster »

Not sure if the forum can be "modded" with a feature, if 3 people report a user for spamming, the system disable that account.

wahming
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by wahming »

Hamster wrote:Not sure if the forum can be "modded" with a feature, if 3 people report a user for spamming, the system disable that account.
Possible, but with so many edge cases to consider, not worth the effort.

OdinYggd
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by OdinYggd »

The solution I usually use with good results on the forums I host is that the first 3-5 posts a new user makes must be approved by a moderator before appearing on the forum.

Though it does add a little overhead in getting new users established, it almost totally shuts down such spam operations because their posts won't be visible to anyone except the forum staff.

After a little while they'll give up and go elsewhere if their crap isn't visible to anyone.
In my mind, Steam is the eternal king of the railway.

silverkitty23
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by silverkitty23 »

OdinYggd wrote:After a little while they'll give up and go elsewhere if their crap isn't visible to anyone.
The problem being that user SpamWolf posts 50 pieces of spam and somewhere in there, user NiceLilSheep posted their first question about how to make trains go. The mods need a good eye to not accidentally crush the lil sheep while putting the tongs to the wolf. Mess that up a couple times and you're turning off users. And SpamWolf doesn't stop because SpamWolf doesn't *know* their messages aren't being seen, because SpamWolf isn't a person who is checking the forums to see if their posts went up. SpamWolf is a bot :(

TruePikachu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by TruePikachu »

What about a requirement to link the Factorio account to the forum account before anything that looks like a URL can be posted?

wahming
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by wahming »

TruePikachu wrote:What about a requirement to link the Factorio account to the forum account before anything that looks like a URL can be posted?
As a general rule, I'd much rather Kovarex and the other devs kept their attention focused on getting 0.13 out the door :lol:

Kalanndok
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Kalanndok »

Well...what about configuring the forum to automatically hide (not delete) posts and revoke "create post"-permission for new users whose posts got reported multiple times.
Afterwards a Mod needs to manually approve that account.

That might be the best of both worlds if mods in other timezones are not possible.

Return to “General discussion”