Speedrunning the game

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
wahming
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Speedrunning the game

Post by wahming »

purdueme91 wrote:I've been researching some lab efficiency tech (I think up to 3) or is that a waste of time?
Lab efficiency is a waste of time and resources.

BlakeMW
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BlakeMW »

The first two levels of lab efficiency are fine but the level which requires blue science is way too expensive to justify.

I believe the threshold where it becomes cheaper to research lab efficiency 1 and 2 than to build more labs was calculated to be about 25 labs - note that once upon a time the research was much more expensive making the threshold much higher.

Calebrj
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Calebrj »

So.....

After about 11 days of autocrafting stuff, I end up with several thousand defender capsules. I have also researched the quantum gun and have about 4 stacks of ammo for it, plus a stack in the gun. I have also went and made a power armor mk1 with a bunch of batteries and shield mk2's. I have also doubled the size of my electrical production area. I am now capable of producing 80 GW.

I have to say, that was A LOT of work. Whew.

And best of all.......

I got rid of the huge base!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

So....

A few words:

Yes, the turret creep will work. I did the construction robot building thing for my turret creep, and it worked really well. Now, please don't ask me how many turrets I was using, because I lost count.

Let's just say it was quite a few of them. As I said before, a lot of work went into this. I am now researching rocket speed 4, and the end is in sight!!! WOOHOOO! :D :D :D

I also used about all of my defender capsules, and all of my ammo. Thank god that I had a steady supply of them, because if not, I wouldn't have survived, because at one point, I ran out of ammo completely. So I run and grab the 1 extra ammo that my crafter had made. Thank God. Phew. And with that last bit of ammo, I finish off the biters.

Now, it's still a long ways to go, because there are at least 2 other bases almost as big as this one. Good news is, they are a bit farther from me, so I have a little bit of freedom now. Yay! :D

Eripsa
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Eripsa »

I've been working on a solo %any speedrun based on AntiElitz's build but using my own map seed. I can reliably finish in around 4 hours and cracked 3:49 last night. I'm nowhere close to Anti's WR of 1:59 so I haven't been paying attention to the leader boards until today, but speedrun.com gives Thue second fastest time at 4:35, and I have four different saves with better times.

Here's my map seed:

>>>AAAMAB0AAAABAQYAAAAEAAAAY29hbAMFBAoAAABjb3BwZXItb3Jl
AwUECQAAAGNydWRlLW9pbAMFBAoAAABlbmVteS1iYXNlAwMCCAAAAGl
yb24tb3JlAwUEBQAAAHN0b25lAwUEIW0OaMWPAADtJAAAAAAAAAAAAA
ADAVaPhSU=<<<

I've attached my 3:49 speedrun to the post. I'm still running .12, and don't know if the build would be faster on .13. There's clearly still a lot of room for optimization and mechanics improvement, and I'm thinking seriously about trying to find a better seed because mine sucks and isn't really competitive with Anti's WR.

I'm considering streaming a run this weekend with the goal of a sub-4 hour run to claim the 2nd place position from Thue. Any interest?
Attachments
Complete 3.49.zip
3:49:58 Speedrun %any Eripsa
(5.31 MiB) Downloaded 87 times

AntiElitz
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by AntiElitz »

Eripsa wrote:I've been working on a solo %any speedrun based on AntiElitz's build but using my own map seed. I can reliably finish in around 4 hours and cracked 3:49 last night. I'm nowhere close to Anti's WR of 1:59 so I haven't been paying attention to the leader boards until today, but speedrun.com gives Thue second fastest time at 4:35, and I have four different saves with better times.

Here's my map seed:

>>>AAAMAB0AAAABAQYAAAAEAAAAY29hbAMFBAoAAABjb3BwZXItb3Jl
AwUECQAAAGNydWRlLW9pbAMFBAoAAABlbmVteS1iYXNlAwMCCAAAAGl
yb24tb3JlAwUEBQAAAHN0b25lAwUEIW0OaMWPAADtJAAAAAAAAAAAAA
ADAVaPhSU=<<<

I've attached my 3:49 speedrun to the post. I'm still running .12, and don't know if the build would be faster on .13. There's clearly still a lot of room for optimization and mechanics improvement, and I'm thinking seriously about trying to find a better seed because mine sucks and isn't really competitive with Anti's WR.

I'm considering streaming a run this weekend with the goal of a sub-4 hour run to claim the 2nd place position from Thue. Any interest?
Do it !

rolfl
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by rolfl »

I have taken a few stabs at the speedrun in 0.13.x vanilla and I used the achievements mechanism to track the time. Of course, the "There is no spoon" (8 hours) and "No time for chit-chat" (15 hours) are only enabled if you DON'T set the peaceful mode for biters. If you set the biters to peaceful, you can't get the achievements.

I have been trying hard to get the 8-hour mark, and in my most recent attempt, at 8 hours, I was getting ready to build the silo..... and set up the logistics for the space components/satellite, etc.

Having the biters peaceful makes a big difference...... but, does that qualify for a 0.13.x speedrun?

What are most people doing for 0.13.x speedruns? Peaceful, or not?

AntiElitz
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by AntiElitz »

rolfl wrote:I have taken a few stabs at the speedrun in 0.13.x vanilla and I used the achievements mechanism to track the time. Of course, the "There is no spoon" (8 hours) and "No time for chit-chat" (15 hours) are only enabled if you DON'T set the peaceful mode for biters. If you set the biters to peaceful, you can't get the achievements.

I have been trying hard to get the 8-hour mark, and in my most recent attempt, at 8 hours, I was getting ready to build the silo..... and set up the logistics for the space components/satellite, etc.

Having the biters peaceful makes a big difference...... but, does that qualify for a 0.13.x speedrun?

What are most people doing for 0.13.x speedruns? Peaceful, or not?
Depends on the category, but most play on peaceful.
http://www.speedrun.com/Factorio

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

I easily got both speed achievements in a little over 7 hours on my first attempt without really trying. I played one game I never finished (my factory sucked) and three successful games including a Lazy Bastard run, to give you an idea of my experience. Give your map seed max size and richness resource deposits, I used a large starting area which makes the biters spawn further away and the pollution never gets far enough to aggro them, but with a car and a bunch of large power poles you can run a half dozen laser turrets out to collect your ~300 alien artefacts for the research. You can use peaceful mode for a personal best but note this disables the achievements.

With those map settings, keep restarting until you get a good seed. You're looking for where the resources are close together (so you're not running a mile between coal and iron) but you have lots of room to build your factory out to. Remember to make sure oil is nearby.

With a few finished games under your belt so you understand the resource requirements of the rocket you'll have an idea of the scale of what you need to build. For example each processing unit requires 20 green circuits, which is easy to underestimate, and in turn it is then easy to underestimate how much copper is needed for the required green circuit production. It's a good idea to have a "cache" of components like green/red/blue circuits, plastic, steel, etc so your factory is never idle, set up a stack inserter dumping them into a chest, and another 1-2 stack inserters unloading it back onto the belt. That way you can get well into your production before you even research the rocket and you don't need to worry so much about getting perfect ratios of resources. You don't want 80% of your factory idling for an hour only to be short of resources when you go to build the rocket.

Note this is just advice for a newbie to get the achievement, it's very different from a competitive speed run. For that you really want to know exactly how many of everything you need to build and where to build it. And lots and lots of experience. I've watched AntiElite's sub-2hr run and it's not something I could do, was having trouble just keeping up with what he was doing lol.
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

Eripsa
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Eripsa »

AntiElite wrote:
Do it !
Thanks for the encouragement! It means a lot coming from you! Tell Thue I'm gunning for him =)

I'm about to start my attempt at a sub 4h speedrun while streaming. If I don't beat Thue's 4h35m 2nd place record, I'll probably try again in early September before moving to .13

https://www.twitch.tv/ripsa

edit: I didn't break 4 hours, but 4:05:02 is enough for a 2nd place finish! Woo hoo!

http://www.speedrun.com/Factorio#any
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KAw8o5yf64

Return to “General discussion”