Train queuing...

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
joseailton
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Train queuing...

Post by joseailton »

Attached is my current train queue layout

I have chain signals in the exiting side of the queue area, and in the entry side of the stations area.
Attachments
train queue.png
train queue.png (4.69 MiB) Viewed 2048 times
Last edited by joseailton on Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

Hannu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Hannu »

vanatteveldt wrote:Is there a benefit to adding stations on the waiting bays instead of just placing a bunch of parallel tracks behind chain signals?
I am not sure is it better in current version. I learned it when I played 0.12 but they may have changed something in train control algorithms after that. Then it reduced the probability that the game routes a train in a wrong track significantly. I use this way because stations and waiting tracks do not cost practically anything (at settings I use) and it works flawlessly hundreds of hours with large network and tens of trains. As an aesthetic bonus I get nice realistic looking railyards without strange curves or insane combinations of switches. Now someone makes one check station which collects all trains and put waiting tracks after that, it may work too, but have not tested.

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by impetus maximus »

there are known issues with chain signals & stackers.
trains will exit a blue chain signal, pass an open lane in the stacker and stop at a red signal blocking the entrance.

as others have said, put a station in each of the lanes. they should all have the same name.
put a 0 second station before the stacker. off the main line of course.

i believe train logic is going to be reworked in 0.15.*

joseailton
Inserter
Inserter

Post by joseailton »

impetus maximus wrote:there are known issues with chain signals & stackers.
trains will exit a blue chain signal, pass an open lane in the stacker and stop at a red signal blocking the entrance.
In my layout, trains passing blue signals does occur indeed, but this is totally expected since I have chain signals in the exiting side of the queue part, and in the entry side of the stations part. So, when you have for instance a copper train unloading, the entire chain section is partially blocked because of it, meaning all the chain signals in the queue part will be blue. But as long as a train arrive there and its not a copper train, it aims for a different station, and therefore will be allowed to pass, unless there's another train passing at the same time from the queue area to the station's area. (if that does any sense at all, I can do a video explaining if needed)

So I'm not facin problems at all with this layout, it works perfectly. You guys should try this ideia and concept, which I "stole" from other multiplyer games :mrgreen:

vanatteveldt
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vanatteveldt »

Hannu wrote:
vanatteveldt wrote:Is there a benefit to adding stations on the waiting bays instead of just placing a bunch of parallel tracks behind chain signals?
I am not sure is it better in current version. I learned it when I played 0.12 but they may have changed something in train control algorithms after that. Then it reduced the probability that the game routes a train in a wrong track significantly. I use this way because stations and waiting tracks do not cost practically anything (at settings I use) and it works flawlessly hundreds of hours with large network and tens of trains. As an aesthetic bonus I get nice realistic looking railyards without strange curves or insane combinations of switches. Now someone makes one check station which collects all trains and put waiting tracks after that, it may work too, but have not tested.
I thought of one advantage of using intermediate stations: I currently waste a lot of loading bay space since I want the stations to be 2xtrain length so a train is always queuing up right behind the currently (un)loading train. However, I keep each waiting lane a single block to avoid e.g. a copper train being stuck behind an iron train. I could use intermediate stations to reserve waiting lanes for one train type and allowing them to queue up behind each other. That would also give me more options for increasing waiting space since I can make it longer as well as wider...

joseailton
Inserter
Inserter

Post by joseailton »

usefull bluprints are here:
oil loading
ore loading
ore unloading
queue area
rail extension
storage section
T junction
unloading oil
X junction
Attachments
Concept of plugging unloading train stations with the melting furnaces.
Concept of plugging unloading train stations with the melting furnaces.
1.png (4.63 MiB) Viewed 4126 times
Concept of plugging ore extraction site with the loading station.
Concept of plugging ore extraction site with the loading station.
2.png (3.89 MiB) Viewed 4126 times

Return to “General discussion”