Biter raid behavior change?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
syneris
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Biter raid behavior change?

Post by syneris »

I haven't seen anything about changes to when biters will try to attack your base, but I seem to be getting raids from camps that are not being polluted. It's been happening the whole game on a new map started with 0.9.1, they just attack for (seemingly) no reason. My factory is idle as I'm busy building a train system and what little pollution I'm making isn't getting through the trees.

The biters are also ignoring turrets shooting at them, running right past any defenses I set up. This is becoming a problem as big biters are starting to appear while I'm basically sitting on my hands as I figure out my design.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Biter raid behavior change?

Post by ssilk »

Use the debug mode (keys F4-F7) to turn on the pathfinding. You will see, that you built just in their way to some target.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

syneris
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by syneris »

ssilk wrote:Use the debug mode (keys F4-F7) to turn on the pathfinding. You will see, that you built just in their way to some target.
I've used that and it doesn't seem to be the case.

sparr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sparr »

I think biters prefer to attack radars over turrets?

Dofolo
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Dofolo »

The pollution changes by wind direction (I think?)

I've seen attacks too from sides where I wouldn't expect it. A biter spawner on the left, pollution blowing to the south and attacks coming from the north ... They seem to chew on mostly anything what they find in their path though. Only when they get a number of different pollution value buildings it seems that they pick their prio targets

The solution, more turrets :) And walls. For some reason they pathe past walls (usually) towards turrets instead of going through the walls, making __] [___ kinda stuff pretty effective.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

How big and frequent are these attacks? The only reason biters might make a fighting group is the expansion, and it happens once in a longer time.

syneris
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by syneris »

kovarex wrote:How big and frequent are these attacks? The only reason biters might make a fighting group is the expansion, and it happens once in a longer time.
They started small and grew over time. I don't have a good sense of time, however I wasn't expecting any attacks at all. I've finished some expanding and started a few sections of heavy mining, so I'm getting frequent attacks like usual. Now that I'm pumping out pollution, I can't tell if there is any attacks from camps that shouldn't be.

Hogweed
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Hogweed »

You might consider more walls. I have been building them as I expand, although in wide open areas that could be more of a problem. But I find that with a wall and a turret or laser that can reach anywhere they touch the wall, they will go after the guns first. If there is nothing in their way, they will pass the guns and head to targets. You might have to wall off the targets and put some guns.

Here is a large composite of my base, I have never had them pass through any walls yet, and 3-4 lasers always seem to stop them, even with a bunch of big biters.

https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... f=8&t=2666

You have to save the image to see all the walls to the east - the image is too large to view in the forum, it only shows about half the image.

Zourin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Zourin »

walls are just a delaying tactic

Ultimately, you're going to need additional radar coverage, more turrets, and to get out of the base from time to time with cans of Raid and Whoopass.

Return to “General discussion”