A way to check recipes using an item in game?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
slay_mithos
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

A way to check recipes using an item in game?

Post by slay_mithos »

Good day fellow engineers,

I've been having a lot of fun with Factorio so far, but there is something that I am missing greatly, and I thought that I might have missed an obvious feature.

I often want to be able to check "all recipes requiring electronic circuits" or something like a resource workflow.

I know that there is the Wiki for the base game, but it's not updated for 0.9, and some mods make extensive changes to some recipes (dytech using stone gear instead of iron ones for a lot of early game tech, for example).

Being able to check what an item is used for would be a big help in planning out a factory, or a "complete" workflow, possibly limited to what you unlock via research.
With experience, you end up knowing that you will need tons of electonic circuits, that copper is used less than iron, or that you might want to rush some technologies depending on how you play, but I kind of miss a clear way of having all the infos.

sparr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: A way to check recipes using an item in game?

Post by sparr »

https://i.imgur.com/62ENSVP.jpg

The wiki will eventually be auto-updated with info about new releases.

Getting this info about mods will be more complex, but you're welcome to contribute some code for it! https://github.com/wube/factorio-lua-tools

slay_mithos
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by slay_mithos »

I might be doing something wrong, but I don't seem to find the correct way to have the tool working.

I installed Lua 5.1 on my windows, as well a graphviz, but I can't seem to find how to make graphviz available from lua.
The only Lua/graphviz I found does not provide 'gv' but 'graph' for the require, so I doubt it is the correct one.

sparr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sparr »

You need gv_lua, which is part of the graphviz package, but isn't included in many builds/platforms. If you build from source and have SWIG installed then gv_lua will get built.

Return to “General discussion”