Question about red & green wires

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Hogweed
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Question about red & green wires

Post by Hogweed »

I am setting up my 1st logistics system and just wondered if I still need to add these wires to everything on the network. I watched Inzania's Utube video on how to set up the logistics, and was just wondering if I still have to do that.

Coolthulhu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Question about red & green wires

Post by Coolthulhu »

No, thanks to 0.9 having smart inserters accept info from the logistic bot network, you don't really need red and green wires.
Now you only want to make small smart networks for stuff like not feeding the boilers while accumulators aren't nearly empty.

Lee_newsum
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Lee_newsum »

and linking 2 smart networks so you can control items moveing between them.

immibis
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by immibis »

If you want a smart inserter to be able to read the items in a specific chest, you need to use the wires. That's the only use of the wires. They've got nothing to do with logistic bots.

Zourin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Zourin »

Lee_newsum wrote:and linking 2 smart networks so you can control items moveing between them.

A possibly interesting solution to the issue of train logistics.. I'd be interested to see how that plays out.

Hogweed
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Hogweed »

Thanks, I tested the system, and see it is controlled now by the provider and requester chests. It works great! I put down a storage chest, and the bots just dumped everything from all the provider chests into is randomly. I thought you could set what is supposed to do in there. But I guess it is a "set and forget" system where the bots will control the inventory.

I will test the wire and inserter thing and see what that's about.

Thanks for all your responses!

syneris
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by syneris »

You get circuit networks (wires) a while before you can use the logistic network. So soon that I'd consider wired networks as part of early game.

Zourin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Zourin »

syneris wrote:You get circuit networks (wires) a while before you can use the logistic network. So soon that I'd consider wired networks as part of early game.
There's not really a point to spending time running circuit networks unless you really know what you're doing. Red/Green packs will get you all, if not most of the tech you need for a bot system. The chest-limiters wind up being more time and resource efficient than short-distance circuit networks.

The oil industry tech is so obstructively intrusive that you have to simultaneously establish just about every oil-based production chain at the same time in order to avoid backstopping the refineries. Long, long, long before you build a working train, or even bother to negotiate a circuit network, you're on the doorstep of bot logistics.

In fact, just about every logistic system works best *after* the Logistic Network is in play. Train stations are more manageable. Smart inserters no longer require wiring. Circuit networks have become mostly obsolete before you even build them.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Circuit networks are sometimes part of the early game, but since the stack limiters, I don't use them. Or very, sery seldom.
After circuits I try to stablished blue production and the first big thing then is the logistics.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

syneris
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by syneris »

Zourin wrote:Circuit networks have become mostly obsolete before you even build them.
I'd say they still have a place, but wired is now more specialized. They don't need a roboport in range to function. You can have multiple wired networks within a small area, while wireless are all connected within the local roboport networks. You can wire across very long distances. Wiring gives you two more conditions.

Hogweed
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Hogweed »

I'd say they still have a place, but wired is now more specialized. They don't need a roboport in range to function. You can have multiple wired networks within a small area, while wireless are all connected within the local roboport networks. You can wire across very long distances. Wiring gives you two more conditions.[/quote]

How would you use them? If you dont have a roboport, you cant use bots, so what use is the wired network for? If they can be used long distances, that is a tremendous advantage, but I cant seem to think of anything that I would do with it. Can you give a few examples?

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Well, the circuit net is currently not very useful.

They can be used for very short distances too. Some assembly street, which you want to micro control for example. But I admit, since the smart inserters are working on LogNet, this cases are rare.

The most usage is this
https://forums.factorio.com/wiki/inde ... ailable.3F

And the second big use is the interaction between LogNets. Long distances.

Station A is refinery. Station B oil fields. You have a train with one wagon running between them. How can you avoid, that the wagon is overfilled either with empty nor full barrels? And that you're not producing too much new empty barrels?
The answer is circuit net!! A bit complicated but very possible. When needed I can explain.

And there're are some plans to expand the functions. Just search the suggestions.

syneris
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by syneris »

Don't forget logic gates.

Finding a use for things gets in to the sandbox aspect. Most problems in the game are resolved simply by using brute force, increase production and force the solution down its throat. There is nothing preventing you from using more finesse.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

What do you understand about logic gates?

syneris
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by syneris »

ssilk wrote:What do you understand about logic gates?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logic_gate
Not really sure what there is to understand. Maybe the programmer in me just sees this as second nature.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Ah, well. I wouldn't describe the current logic as logic gates. And the current logic is not very useful (*). For me it is a device orientated programming, which eventually has something to do with logic (boolean logic). But that is just a black box. And I like it, because the most other games like factorio have the boolean logic implemented, but that is in my eyes far away from practical usage and only interesting for programmers etc. I like to have devices, which do something with the input signal(s) and have some output signals (eventually into the same network, but with another name) and you can use that signals in another device. This is how engeneers, musicians and the most craftsmen think and work and if you look around how the things are working, you'll see, that it has some more practical usage then Boolean logic on its own. :)

(*) for example the equal operator in the smart inserter makes only sense with inserter stacksize = 1. For every other inserter stacksize (and logistic bots stacksize) it is a range. This is very important to know, when you want to make universal useable switchings.
Or you cannot say "this number minus the number, which is requested or on the way to be moved".
Or "as much of any item as should be buffered for this network", to be not forced to change all smart inserters if you want to in/decrease the buffer for any item.
There are a lot of such very cool stuff, which can be done. All we need is a modable controller, which allows us to load any program into it (lua code) and which does all the complicated routing. But as engineer I don't want to write a program for that, I want to use it. :)

Return to “General discussion”