Inserters

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Vandsaz
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Inserters

Post by Vandsaz »

I always thought that it would be cool to have a pivoted inserter which could take something from a chest or belt in front of it then put it in something to the right or left of it for tight spaces. I found the need for such an item for many times to make tight collection spots.

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Inserters

Post by Arch666Angel »

Look for the K&L inserter mod, lets you define pickup und dropoff locations for inserters.

Vandsaz
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Vandsaz »

Thanks

JoaoBernardino
Inserter
Inserter

Post by JoaoBernardino »

I had the same problem several times... maybe there's a mod?!?

But I just struggle ethically with the concept because if you make inserters (or whatever) for every need, you lose on the "puzzle" side of the game...
That's always a balance I try to strike when I add something to the base game.

Does is "add options" and decisions or does it "remove them"? I want the first, not a big fan of the later.
Nom Nom Nom

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

JoaoBernardino wrote:But I just struggle ethically with the concept because if you make inserters (or whatever) for every need, you lose on the "puzzle" side of the game...
That's always a balance I try to strike when I add something to the base game.

Does is "add options" and decisions or does it "remove them"? I want the first, not a big fan of the later.
I know that feeling but I have come to the conclusion that if you need ridiculous workarounds (like 2 inserters handing items to one another in a 90° angle, and using a chest buffer in between etc) to achieve something then that's not "removing decisions".

It is rather improving "quality of life" by adding functionallity where the game currently lacks.

So what inserters should have gotten a long time ago is an option window where one can actually specifiy the angle in between which the inserter is working (90° left, 180° straight, 90° right). Would eliminate like a dozen of mods which try to offer that possibility with individual inserters for each case.

I mean in reality a robot arm can move to any angle... why shouldn't be Factorio inserters be able to do the same?

I would even go so far to allow all inserters to have the range of long-handed inserters (rendering it superfluous as individual item) and chose the range within the option window as well and make the movement time and electricity cost depend on how far it has to rotate and how far it has to stretch the arm out.
universal Inserter
Last edited by MeduSalem on Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

Arch666Angel wrote:viewtopic.php?f=93&t=21269
Ahh well, I suggested such an inserter thing about a year ago already in one of the threads in the Ideas & Suggestion board, didn't know someone actually picked up the idea and made a mod. xD

It should be in the vanilla game though, with a better UI because 2 seperate grids to select pickup/insert is redundant. One grid with 2 symbols differentiating in pickup and insert would be sufficient. :P

JoaoBernardino
Inserter
Inserter

Post by JoaoBernardino »

MeduSalem wrote:
Arch666Angel wrote:viewtopic.php?f=93&t=21269
Ahh well, I suggested such an inserter thing about a year ago already in one of the threads in the Ideas & Suggestion board, didn't know someone actually picked up the idea and made a mod. xD

It should be in the vanilla game though, with a better UI because 2 seperate grids to select pickup/insert is redundant. One grid with 2 symbols differentiating in pickup and insert would be sufficient. :P
ohhh ... This is a great idea! And great job from the guy who did the MOD!! This community is awesome! :)
Nom Nom Nom

Return to “General discussion”