Lazy Bastard Achievement - No hand crafting challenge

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
JoaoBernardino
Inserter
Inserter

Lazy Bastard Achievement - No hand crafting challenge

Post by JoaoBernardino »

Hi, sorry if there is a post/board related to this Achievement/style of playing but couldn't find a place with the info I was looking for.

Lazy Bastard Achievement says "Win the game by crafting no more than 111 items manually."

Is there a list of what you really need to craft on a game to be able to do this type of style?
I made a list based on a couple of videos, but would love to hear from some "pros" :)

Starting Power setup (25):
1 pump ( 1 gear + 1 pipe + 2 green circuit ( 3 coppercoil )
1 pole ( 1 board + 1 coppercoil )
1 boiler ( 1 stone furnace + 1 pipe ) - you can use the starting furnace, but then you need another one anyway
1 steamengine ( 5 gear + 5 pipe )

Starting research for Automation (42):
1 Lab (10 gears + 10 green circuits ( 15 coppercoil + 4 belts ( 2 gears ))
10 red Research (10 gears )

Research Automation

First Assembly (13):
1 assembly ( 3 green circuits ( 4 coopercoils + 5 gears ))

From now on you can build many basics so you just need some extra hand crafting for the Assembly mk2 and then the refinery has to be always hand made because of its size (2):

1 assembly mk2
1 refinery

This gives me a total of 82. Does this mean we can use some extra hand crafted refineries and still make the achievement? Or did I forget something?

Thank you!!
JB

*edit* I had counted 3 green circuits made by hand for Assembly mk2, but the Mk1 can already produce them.
Nom Nom Nom

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Lazy Bastard Achievement - No hand crafting challenge

Post by steinio »

Hello,

you can try this viewtopic.php?f=94&t=17940 or this viewtopic.php?f=179&t=21180 to achieve the achivement
and feel the pain ;)

Greetings steinio

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

From viewtopic.php?f=38&t=20070&p=139926
kovarex wrote:
Tallinu wrote:Out of curiosity, what is the exact significance of the number 111 in the "without crafting more than X items" achievement? It seems like an odd number to choose.
I calculated the count of items needed, and it was 101 I believe, so I added 10, so you don't have to painfully wait for ever with one mining drill etc. until the automation 2 is researched.
JoaoBernardino wrote:Starting research for Automation (42):
1 Lab (10 gears + 10 green circuits ( 15 coppercoil + 4 belts ( 2 gears ))
10 red Research (10 gears )
Starting research for automation is 62 not 42 (you forgot to add the research), bringing your total to 102.

-----------------

After a lot of comparisons with my (2 month old) list and recalculations this did bug me so much I couldn't stop thinking about it, so I put it to the test. I started a new game with 200 iron plates, 200 copper plates, 50 coal, 50 wood and 50 stone and crafted everything one after the other, writing down the crafting queue each time.
The answer I've reached is 101 (as kovarex said). The full list is below.

Compared to OP's post (the 102):
- The lab only uses 2 belts instead of 4, as 2 belts are produced each time
- The assembling machine needs 5 copper cable instead of 4 (there is no copper cable in the inventory before beginning this craft, but 9 are required --> 5x copper cable)

Code: Select all

Wooden pole (3)
    1x wooden board
    1x copper cable
    1x pole

Offshore pump (8)
    3x copper cable
    2x electric circuit
    1x pipe
    1x gear wheel
    1x offshore pump

Boiler (3)
    1x stone furnace
    1x pipe
    1x boiler

Steam engine (11)
    5x gear wheel
    5x pipe
    1x steam engine

--> Power setup: 25

Lab (40)
    15x copper cable
    10x electric circuit
    12x gear wheel
    2x transport belt
    1x lab

Science pack 1 (20)
    10x gear wheel
    10x science pack 1

--> Science + Automation: 60

Assembling machine 1 (14)
    5x copper cable
    3x electric circuit
    5x gear wheel
    1x assembler

Assembling machine 2 (1)
Oil Refinery (1)

--> Machines: 16

25x Power
60x Science
16x Machines
------------
101 total
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

JoaoBernardino
Inserter
Inserter

Post by JoaoBernardino »

Thank you for the work and for showing me the link to the other posts!!

I didn't have enough time to try by myself today but that looks like the definitive list! :ugeek:
Nom Nom Nom

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

You don't need to craft a stone furnace, you can use the starting one after building a surplus of plates.

xanrael
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by xanrael »

Is there any way to check how many items you've crafted? I'd hate it if I spaced out and accidentally made a few transport belts without thinking, and then kept playing for however long it took to win.

JoaoBernardino
Inserter
Inserter

Post by JoaoBernardino »

xanrael wrote:Is there any way to check how many items you've crafted? I'd hate it if I spaced out and accidentally made a few transport belts without thinking, and then kept playing for however long it took to win.
It would be a great idea!

And I usually have the problem of some Mod rendering the game ineligible for achievements and you don't realise and spend hours to no effect (other than fun, but you know what I mean). Every moddable game with achievements should have and indicator on the save game about it!
Nom Nom Nom

silverkitty23
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by silverkitty23 »

Ironically, you have to be anything BUT a lazy bastard to get this achievement. So much running around hand-filling machines and reusing machines in different places until you get the assemblers going.

Jarin
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Jarin »

Run it like the opposite of the april-fools dev joke. F2P and only have a limited number of hand-crafting "tokens" available. :twisted:

purdueme91
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by purdueme91 »

I did my own numbers and I just wanted to confirm something for the achievement. It's not counting how many items you craft but how many crafting processes you start. So crafting a copper cable counts as 1 toward the total even though it results in 2 items. Otherwise I got a total in the 120's (can't find my calculations). I'm crafting a pick and a chest when I try it otherwise gathering coal is such a headache

JoaoBernardino
Inserter
Inserter

Post by JoaoBernardino »

purdueme91 wrote:I did my own numbers and I just wanted to confirm something for the achievement. It's not counting how many items you craft but how many crafting processes you start. So crafting a copper cable counts as 1 toward the total even though it results in 2 items. Otherwise I got a total in the 120's (can't find my calculations). I'm crafting a pick and a chest when I try it otherwise gathering coal is such a headache
Yes, I think all the math was made assuming that. We even have a Kovarex post confirming it (I missed it before opening this thread)
kovarex wrote:
jockeril wrote:
Tallinu wrote:Out of curiosity, what is the exact significance of the number 111 in the "without crafting more than X items" achievement? It seems like an odd number to choose.
Might be a homage to Fallout 4 ;)

or just a number they came up with :P
I calculated the count of items needed, and it was 101 I believe, so I added 10, so you don't have to painfully wait for ever with one mining drill etc. until the automation 2 is researched.
Nom Nom Nom

LazyLoneLion
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by LazyLoneLion »

Wouldn't it be better if the achievement was not so much constrained one? If we let to craft 200 times instead of 101 or 111? But it will simplify and speed up the beginning of the game a lot.

P.S. You might want to disable or constrain "hand-mining" as well :) But is it really important for the achievement?

P.P.S You might even want to disable removing constructions at all %) That is if you are The Real Lazy Bastard.

purdueme91
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by purdueme91 »

steinio wrote:Hello,

you can try this viewtopic.php?f=94&t=17940 or this viewtopic.php?f=179&t=21180 to achieve the achivement
and feel the pain ;)

Greetings steinio
I used this mod with Bob's mods and I think it is actually easier than <111 items crafted. That Burner Assembler is amazing. So you never have to wait to build anything. I had it set up with an inserter/chest with basic materials and would just walk up to it and ordered things like it was a vending machine.

Also you cannot make a mistake in crafting something accidentally. I just hope when I go for this achievement, I'm not almost to the end and realize that 10 hours earlier I had built 25 belts from scratch in my inventory and didn't catch it.

I can't wait for 0.13 to come out so we can try playing for some different goals :D

HeilTec
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by HeilTec »

xanrael wrote:Is there any way to check how many items you've crafted? I'd hate it if I spaced out and accidentally made a few transport belts without thinking, and then kept playing for however long it took to win.
Just for testing in 0.12.35 I tried this:

Code: Select all

/c 
item_counter = 0;
script.on_event(defines.events.on_player_crafted_item, 
  function(event)  
    item_counter = item_counter + 1;   
    for _, player in ipairs(game.players) do 
      player.print(item_counter .. " total items created")   
    end 
  end  
)
It will probably prevent the actual achievement in 0.13, but it works for practice until then ...
Google is my friend. Searching the forum and the wiki is always a first.

BlakeMW
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BlakeMW »

I'm wondering what the best use for the excess 11 crafts is.

To get an assembler 1 you need 104 iron and 34 copper. My feeling is the best way to accomplish this is to allow the solitary burner mining drill and furnace to chug away, while the character punches trees and stone rocks (note: When mining coal, the burner drill can output into the fuel slot of the furnace). It might be tempting to get an axe, but this costs 2 crafting points and will break after about 32 ore is mined - an exchange rate of 1 crafting point for 16 ore is not very good. Without any surplus ore there is little point in making a 2nd furnace and a burner miner drill costs 5 crafting points (6 if you add another furnace). It seems best to only spend the minimum 98 points getting the first Assembler 1.

Once you have assembler 1, you can assemble all the low tech intermediates and can now make any machine for 0 or 1 crafting points.

It requires a grand total of 110 red science to research Automation 2, this costs 220 iron and 110 copper, which is not a huge amount. You still have 11 crafting points uncommitted and this is the most logical point in the game to spend them. It makes sense to invest in at least 2 electric mining drills, 2 extra assembler 1s, and perhaps 1 extra lab. If you have total faith in your ability to not accidently hand craft anything you should probably spend all the surplus points here on an extra steam engine and extra electric mining drills to help stockpile resources for when Assembling Machine 2 is available.

It may be reasonable to save a point to get a 2nd refinery - especially if you're used to starting with 2 refineries.

The ability to track achievements helps a lot with, well, keeping track of your points, and comforting you that you haven't accidently hand crafted something.

Cyres
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Cyres »

Well, it's possible with exactly 100 crafts:
20160629121358_1.jpg
20160629121358_1.jpg (606.68 KiB) Viewed 61856 times

dasiro
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by dasiro »

although I'm nowhere near my launch, I'm at 99 with assembling machine 2 (aka the blue factory) so anything can be produced instead of crafted. It will take some time before I'm done as I don't use any logistic systems, only my own blueprints without any of the fora and no peace mode + my games are rather chaotic :p

maybe the difference lies in the fact that I also re-use my assembling machine 1 (aka the grey) to create the 2?

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

dasiro wrote:although I'm nowhere near my launch, I'm at 99 with assembling machine 2 (aka the blue factory) so anything can be produced instead of crafted.
The assembling machine 2 can't craft oil refineries, rocket silos, satellites and assembling machines 3.
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

BlakeMW
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BlakeMW »

daniel34 wrote: The assembling machine 2 can't craft oil refineries, rocket silos, satellites and assembling machines 3.
Even Assembly machine 1 can craft Assembly Machine 3 :P (it's only 2 ingredients)

dasiro
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by dasiro »

It's the oil refinery that is the 100th item. It's crafted from 5 items which cannot be done in assembling machine 2.
You need batteries and advanced circuits (red chips) to create science pack 3 (the blue ones) that are dependent on oil in order to research assembling machine 3 (the yellow one).
Afterwards rocket silo's (5 items) and satellites (6 items) are no problem.

Return to “General discussion”