I've always been excessively organized in video games, would it be in minecraft/skyrim/whatever I've always used hundreds of chests to manage my stuff. Then it seems rather evident it wasn't going to be different in Factorio.
My base is very segmented (divided in different areas), i got huge amount of modules being produced somewhere, military products somewhere else, train-related products got their own area, etc....while it's obviously not the best setup if you're looking for the most optimized production ever, i find some perks to this :
- My base is good-looking, something i appreciate considering the amount of time i spend walking in...
- i can easily focus on one area after the other, and a lack of resources on one point doesn't shut down all my production (each area often has her own extraction/melting lines).
The goal is to have to heavily rely on each other via train lines, if we wanna be able to reach the endgame.
This being said, I started creating a mod adding specialized assembling machines. Roughly, this mod will had more or less a dozen of assembling Machine, each of them being able to craft only some specific items :
- Train/Wagon AM (Assembling Machine)
- Rail AM
- Circuit/PU AM
- Module AM
- Science Packs AM
- Inserters AM
- Gun AM
- Ammo AM and so on.....
After some thoughts, I came up with this :
1 - The player will be capable to craft almost any item by hand (vanilla-like), maybe with an increased crafting time.
This should allow the player to start any factory without worrying of being "blocked" by a lack of AM
2 (1rst option) - The Vanilla AM will be left to craft any item non-affected to one of the Specialized AM.
2 (2nd option) - The Vanilla AM will still be able to craft any item (vanilla-like), Specialized AM will have increased crafting speed.
3 - Technology shouldn't be an obstacle, each AM will be unlocked fairly easily
- Modules-Specialized AM unlocked with "Modules" tec
- Gun-Specialized AM and Ammo-Specialized AM unlocked with "Military 1" tec
- oil-derivate-Specialized AM unlocked with "Oil processing" tec
I did a bit of code today. and I got the Rail Specialized AM working. I shall continue developing this mod because...well, I like it BUT I'd really like to hear your thoughts about this Dear Factorio Community
PS: First post here, I honestly didn't know where to post this considering the post doesn't contain any mod (yet) properly-speaking...I do hope I didn't mess up by posting in the wrong section